Radio Control
-
Catweasel
Radio Control
Not quite sure what this comes under,so here it is. Has any one used the surface type of pistol transmitter? They tend to be a bit cheaper than the aircraft type. I tried one when I had r/c cars but couldn't get on with it. Maybe battery/electrics would be better. After all, you haven't got to steer the thing.
- -steves-
- Administrator

- Posts: 2473
- Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:50 pm
- Location: Cambridge & Peterborough
I have used them on cars and trucks and got on fine with them, however, even today I still prefer the "2 sticks" option for loco's and related as once you remove the springs from them you can set and leave running, and you can do this on both / all channels. With the pistol type, though I have never had one apart, but I woud imagine you could do the same, but you only have one channel to play with. The servos and RX's are identical, its just a different type of transmitter, its usually the make that drives the price, things like Futaba and JR tend to hold better money as they have a much better reputation behind them, but does it matter for something on a track?
Hope that helps a bit.
Hope that helps a bit.
-
Endless, Nameless
I have used one for a steam engine (modified Lady Anne), I've got to say I find the twin sticks easier.
It was a while ago so I can't remember how it was set up- I've a feeling the pistol was the reverser and the wheel was the regulator, but I'm not 100% sure...
Mind you I never got on with them on cars either!
It was a while ago so I can't remember how it was set up- I've a feeling the pistol was the reverser and the wheel was the regulator, but I'm not 100% sure...
Mind you I never got on with them on cars either!
-
Catweasel
Radio Control
Thanks for the input folks. It looks like I'll be staying with stickies! The other query I have is with receivers. When I had my cars, I was using 2 or 3 cell Lipo's with Spektrum gear. My little batt loco's will be using 6 cell Nimh's will it be safe to hook up,for example, a Planet RX, to this amount of power? Or stick to Spektrum?
- -steves-
- Administrator

- Posts: 2473
- Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:50 pm
- Location: Cambridge & Peterborough
Depends if you are using an ESC (Elcetronic Speed Control), its generally the ESC that regulates the voltage down to around 5.2V for the receiver. If you are using a direct intput then dont use any more than a 5 cell 1.2V (6V total) pack. If you are using an ESC, then it depends on that ESC, however "most", "generally" take 3S lipo's or up to around 12V as a starter, again, it usually depends on if its using a brushed or brushless motor setup. The only way to be 100% sure is to check the instructions that came with the equipment. As for the cheap receivers, these are generally the same voltage as your spektum ones, safe up to 6V tops. The more expensive ones sometimes, depening on which one, can do up to 9V.
Again, alway read what came with it or at least "Google" it
Again, alway read what came with it or at least "Google" it
-
laalratty
Seems like I am on my own, but I actually prefer the trigger and wheel to twin sticks! Both of my R/C locos are fitted with them but I've had a loco with twin stick R/C. With careful positioning you can drive one handed (important if you are trying to film) whilst if you want to leave it in gear then you can simply jam a piece of lego between the trigger and the body (a 6 bip block does it nicely). I do prefer the Roundhouse mod with the handle over the wheel though, I imagine just the wheel isn't great
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests