Going to far

What is your latest project?
Catweasel
Fireman
Fireman

Going to far

Post by Catweasel » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:11 pm

I'm still getting bits for my 16mm indoor line and I am going to embrace radio control. So why not go for the ultimate I thought. If I use a Spektrum DX6 TX,which has a 10 model memory, surely I can fit battery powered receivers and servos under the layout and use r/c to control the points. I would only need 1 memory position to move up to 4 points I think. Loco's aren't a problem as I've had a fair stable of r/c cars and trucks in the past. I'm also familiar with the Spektrum.Never had a problem with 'em. Am I pushing the boat out too far do you think,or has it been done.
Lead me not into temptation,for I can find my own way.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:27 pm

Personally, I always find that a well-aimed finger works JUST as well, and it's a darned sight cheaper! However, if you want to"hide" points in inaccessible places this could be one way to go.............
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:14 pm

My only worry would be that turnout that needs changing just before the loco you're currently controlling hits it!> ;)

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:13 pm

I thought the same a while back using an old Hi-Tec RC helicopter TX with 10 model memory. Then realised that the memory bit only actually adjusted the trim states & axis controls rather than having ten seperate RX's running off it. Not familier with the TX you are talking about so don't know how that differs but I expect with 2.4ghz it means ten differently tuned in RX's ?

I would love to go with the air system, but cost is putting me off on that one..
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Catweasel
Fireman
Fireman

Going too far

Post by Catweasel » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:16 pm

cost is putting me off on that one..
I don't think cost is a major issue. If you consider DCC, then I think we get a better deal. The Spektrum has a 10 model memory and 6 channels. Therefore, one 6 channel receiver should be able to fire 6 points. An aircraft Transmitter has 2 sticks so, again,1 loco can run on one stick and another on the other stick. Bingo. 2 loco's independently controlled on the same track. What fun. You can't do that with track powered loco's. All you have to do is select which loco you want to run. How to mad without trying.

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:22 pm

It also depends on the complexity of your layout. Remember that on the real thing one point lever (or switch) can control more than one point end. Both ends of a crossover usually work off the same lever for example, and so would a siding point and its associated trap. Remember too that some points (IE in your loco or goods yards) are only going to be used for low speed shunting moves so would probably be better off hand operated anyway- what use is the "long arm" when you have to be standing next to the point to supervise attatching or detatching?
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:32 pm

Have a look at what I am doing regarding points and get in touch if you are interested as I think this would be idea for your layout mate:

http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/abou ... ght=points

Cheers,

Tom

Catweasel
Fireman
Fireman

Going to far

Post by Catweasel » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:57 am

Fulgarex motors are god value.Used several in various scales and gauges. Never outside though. I would suggest sealing the covers with sealant to prevent crud from getting into the gears. I've also been looking at alternative systems. All a Loco has to do is go backwards and forwards. Hopefully with fine control. Battery loco's of course. That's it. What about using ESC's from the marine world. They should also be fairly weather proof as well I'm thinking. And a lot cheaper than dedicated jobs.