Daydreaming....

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Johnnie2sheds
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Daydreaming....

Post by Johnnie2sheds » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:19 pm

Its funny where doodles get to, even electronic ones. As IP Engineering has sadly cancelled their metal shunters, I’ve been thinking about making my own version of their machines, just for personal use of course, there’s no way I would be able to make it a job, or want to. I’ve been doing a few Microstation™ sketches during the indolent week before Christmas at work and come up with this machine: if I make it with 18/20 gauge steel it will be a nice weight. Size wise it is about 260mm excl couplings, 100mm wide excluding handrails, and about 150mm high. I’ve also got all the metal planned (where to fold etc.) OK its not a radical departure from the norm but I’ve put in a few tweaks to make it my own ( I’m not sure about the chimney). So now I need to find a fabrication works, with a laser cutting service, and a machine/press shop. Ahhh daydreams……

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:32 pm

That front end reminds me of the Simplex T Class - there's one locally (at Butterley) and the TR had one which they called FUGGLY - can you guess why?
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Johnnie2sheds
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Johnnie2sheds » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:13 pm

I think you just named it... :occasion5:

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:42 pm

MDLR:63679 wrote:That front end reminds me of the Simplex T Class - there's one locally (at Butterley) and the TR had one which they called FUGGLY - can you guess why?
IIRC the nickname was slightly Cymraegified to "Ffyglu" or something of the sort. Nowadays known as Bryn Eglwys. Here it is shortly after arrival.

Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:56 pm

The one we have at Butterley had a massive "ding" at the bottom of the radiator cowl. The gas torch that was used in a "heat & bash" session to take it out was absolutely MASSIVE!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:22 pm

MDLR:63679 wrote:That front end reminds me of the Simplex T Class - there's one locally (at Butterley) and the TR had one which they called FUGGLY - can you guess why?
Did it come out of a mine or ammo dump somewhere? It has a kind of British Coal/MoD look to it.

That said, it isn's as ugly as IMR No.18 Ailsa, which, when I see it, always makes me remember the expression "ugly enough to knock a buzzard off a gut wagon."

On the other hand I quite like the Schoema diesel - No.17 - even though the IMR crews will tell you that it is a bit feeble for mainline use.  If they have to use it on the mainline, the first preference is to confine it to the Ballasalla-Port Erin stretch and make sure it has no more than four bogies on.  It has about half the grunt of the Beyer Peacock 2-4-0Ts.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Daydreaming....

Post by invicta280 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:18 am

Johnnie2sheds:63678 wrote: So now I need to find a fabrication works, with a laser cutting service, and a machine/press shop. Ahhh daydreams……

Or you could use tinplate for the body
Someone on the Mamod forum has mentioned the youtube tutorials
of tinplate girl
http://youtu.be/dxz_3Y-vFg4

I'm saving  recycled cans to build a spring drive railcar!

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:38 pm

IrishPeter:63685 wrote:Did it come out of a mine or ammo dump somewhere?  It has a kind of British Coal/MoD look to it.
They were used for Channel Tunnel construction works.............
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html