Childhood memories.

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Matt
Driver
Driver

Childhood memories.

Post by Matt » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:11 pm

The current topic ofdiscussion in the New models section has put me in a mood to think about my childhood. So what's your ealiest memory of trains.

Mine is of the 'The Launceston Railway' in cornwall when I was about 4, and having a look on the footplate of one of the quarry hunslets there. Can't remember the name, but it was the one with the cab and tender.
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:21 pm

That'll be 'Covertcoat'.

I don't have a first memory of railways, it's built in to my DNA I've got 48 chromosones, a special railway pair (Doh, Biology exam was this morning).

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Re: Childhood memories.

Post by mhlr » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:22 pm

Matt wrote:The current topic ofdiscussion in the New models section has put me in a mood to think about my childhood.  So what's your ealiest memory of trains.

Mine is of the 'The Launceston Railway' in cornwall when I was about 4, and having a look on the footplate of one of the quarry hunslets there.  Can't remember the name, but it was the one with the cab and tender.
That one is Covertcoat ;) The best one there!
My earliest memory is of the Embsay Steam Railway with santa :S!

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:23 pm

Woops, you beat me to it William! :twisted: :lol:

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:35 pm

Hmmm, i'd say the same as William about the biology bit although I have many recollections of different visits to Ravenglass and the Ffestiniog, not forgetting steamtown Carnforth, which was open untill 1996. My first footplate ride was at the age of about 2 or 3 at Ravenglass, probebly on Northern Rock going by photo evidence
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:04 pm

My dad reckons my first locomotive ride was on the running board of Britomart.

I remember being offered a footplate ride on the 15in loco at Carnforth, and turned it down (think I was scared the seat was to cramped). My dad was in total dismay that I could turn down an oppurtunity to ride on such a loco, so he asked the driver if he could drive it, he doesn't usually want to drive locos to such an extent :lol: .

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:45 pm

According to my parents, the first steam railways that I went on were several narrow gauge lines in north wales when I was about 1. Looking at some old family pics, I went on the ffestiginog railway, and the Lamberias Lake Railway (sorry for spelling mistakes).
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

riveresk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by riveresk » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:26 pm

Hmm, my early railway experiences have all melted together. A mix of Ravenglass and Eskdale, Ffestiniog and Steam Town. It is highly likely that the Ratty was my first introduction to railways though.
'Oliver's no use at all, thinks he's very clever. Says that he can manage us, that's the best joke ever. When he orders us about, with the greatest folly. We just push him down the well. Pop goes old Olly!'

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:30 pm

My earliest memories are probably of Quainton Road, but there is a photo of me at Didcot aged about two, and I rode over the R&ER while I was still in the womb! 8)

MTA

Post by MTA » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:46 pm

My earliest memories of railways would be the Mid Hants and Hollycombe, as I lived in that area.

Although the interest in railways stems from a christening present which happend to be a TTTE plush toy :oops:

made-in-england
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by made-in-england » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:52 pm

Mine started with my grandad bringing out his TEa1 now mine and then taking me to The MHR thomas day!

My grandad was the only one who was really keen on steam but now he is at rest theres not really anyone! My other grandad is partial to some model making tho!
Passengers are reminded not to tease the engines

ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:19 pm

Cant remember my first one. But the fact that my dad had a garden railway probably set the whole thing off.
http://www.freewebs.com/pinetreelightrailway/index.

Cecil your engines on Fire!

Its a Mamod it does that.