Mamod upgrade cylinder and upgrade piston kit

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Mamod upgrade cylinder and upgrade piston kit

Post by DLRdan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:42 pm

As many of you will know mamod cylinders are not the best bits of engineering so most are usualy upgraded. There are two options, the full upgraded cylinders or the piston upgrade kit which only changes the vital parts. Below is review and comparison of both items of both items.

Starting with the upgrade piston kit. The kit contains new front and rear ends for the cylinders, the rear one having an adjustable gland machined onto it, new rods with the O ring piston and stronger trunion springs.

Fitting of the kit is relatively simple, though getting the O ring into the cylinder needs care. The big ends need to be removed from the old piston rods and fitted to the new ones making sure that the gland nut and its O ring are on first. As for the stiff springs i have left them off as I found it clamped the cylinder to the port face and severly limited performance. Running in takes about 4 or 5 runs untill you can run the loco on the track.

Next are the full upgrade cylinders which are a direct replacement for the originals.

On my cylinders I has to do some cleaning of the ports as there was still swarf from the machining in the holes. The second thing i did was take the stiff springs out and replace them with the softer ones. the reason I did this is because even after lapping the mating faces were still quite rough and the stiff springs nealry locked the cylinders solid. Running in didn't take long for the actual O ring in the cylinder but has taken a long time for the faces to stop leaking. With the soft springs in the engine is useable while running in takes place and after they are bedded in the stiff springs can be put in to get the full power from the cylinders. As for which to buy I cant come to a firm choice as each seem to work equaly well and both make the engine more efficient once run in fully. Ive put a couple of comparison pictures below. If you made it this far thanks for reading.

Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:45 am

Thanks for that Dan well written and illustrated I haven't seen both types together before.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:45 pm

Hi Dan

Good review. i've found good running with upgraded standards sofar but have yet to test my own 'gasflow' supercylinders. Anyway, might I ask where your supercylinders came from?

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:31 pm

I installed the O ring kit the other day, and had generally good results, though I didn't suffer from decreased performance due to the springs.
proudly flying in the face of convention

anythingsdr
Fireman
Fireman

Post by anythingsdr » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:57 pm

After forking out the £25 odd for the 'Gas-Flow@ cylinders from Dream Steam... The piston promply Shot out and lost itself... I'm now left with a piston rod!
Alistair Parsons,
Apprentice Multi Skilled Technician

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:15 am

anythingsdr:58075 wrote:After forking out the £25 odd for the 'Gas-Flow@ cylinders from Dream Steam... The piston promply Shot out and lost itself... I'm now left with a piston rod!

Oh dear sweet God!
:shock:

*looks nervously at SB's nearly-year-old gasflow cylinders, in store ready...*

anythingsdr
Fireman
Fireman

Post by anythingsdr » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:53 am

Haha, don't worry, sure you'll be fine... They didn't shoot off round the garden... Just to the baseboard:)

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:33 am

dougrail:58058 wrote:Hi Dan

Good review. i've found good running with upgraded standards sofar but have yet to test my own 'gasflow' supercylinders. Anyway, might I ask where your supercylinders came from?
Both sets came from dream steam but about 2 years apart. I would contact dream steam about the end coming off as they should be a very good push fit.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

anythingsdr
Fireman
Fireman

Post by anythingsdr » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Im thinking of contacting Paul soon, but Its finding the time... Just got back from another day at Buckfastleigh.... Knackered!
Alistair Parsons,
Apprentice Multi Skilled Technician

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:58 am

dougrail:58077 wrote:
anythingsdr:58075 wrote:After forking out the £25 odd for the 'Gas-Flow@ cylinders from Dream Steam... The piston promply Shot out and lost itself... I'm now left with a piston rod!

Oh dear sweet God!
:shock:

*looks nervously at SB's nearly-year-old gasflow cylinders, in store ready...*
Was this an omen??? 8)

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:43 am

I think it might well have been, mate!! :shock: [/b]