Locomotive paint

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Vapouriser
Fireman
Fireman

Locomotive paint

Post by Vapouriser » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:49 pm

Despite all the help regarding painting my old Lady Ann I m still not sure. I am unable to use thinners at all and am wondering if Howes water based acrylic paints will be up to the job.

R31 Mark
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by R31 Mark » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:02 pm

I'm definitely no expert on this topic, but Personally I wouldn't use paint like that, It's easy to get heat proof/ and or automotive paint from car shops you know. Unless of course you have considered this beforehand but do not wish to take that route. Id recommend the car stuff though.
Mark :D

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:43 pm

If you are unsure then it would be best to have it done professionally as these loco's cost enough as it is so to then ruin them with a bad paint job you will regret for a long time!

Cheers,

Tom
RWLR

Vapouriser
Fireman
Fireman

Locomotive paint

Post by Vapouriser » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:56 pm

I have a feeling it may stay in venerable green! Jonathon

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:57 pm

Other painters are available... :lol:
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:06 pm

http://www.modellers-mecca.co.uk/manufa ... acturer=15

Here is what you need. Phoenix paints, This site sells the paint in rattle cans so easy peasy.

You could even go to your local auto factors for some acid etch primer! Auto top coat paint isnt great on externally fired locos though!

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:23 pm

Like wise Phoenix Precision Paints.. They have been in the business for years and you cant fault them except they dont do any Festiniog colours anymore! But I stocked up before they discontinued.. if you want to see a professional paint job the guy that painted the Slaters Prince and Ashbury coaches is worth a mention..but it will cost a fortune to go to that extent. Then again my father pays a fortune on his 7mm locos but when crests are hand painted in that scale I guess you gets want you pay for..why ruin a paintjob with transfers..

Vapouriser
Fireman
Fireman

Locomotivepaint

Post by Vapouriser » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:30 am

Trouble is I am unable to use thinners at all along with various other solvents. I mean NOT at all. While others will be happily wandering around , I mean painting , under the influence of thinnersI ll be on my face as soon as the tin is opened. Mr Bond-you mayhave a job! Jonathon

R31 Mark
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by R31 Mark » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:12 am

Lol, on your face?, so you experience funky visions when you sniff thinners :lol:

GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: Locomotivepaint

Post by GTB » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:57 pm

Vapouriser:59419 wrote:Trouble is I am unable to use thinners at all along with various other solvents. I mean NOT at all. While others will be happily wandering around , I mean painting , under the influence of thinnersI ll be on my face as soon as the tin is opened.
In that case, you could also have trouble with water borne paints, especially if spraying.

So called water based paints still contain a few percent of high boiling point solvents. A lot less solvent than an ordinary enamel, but there's still some in there, which is why you can smell new paint, no matter what sort has been used.

If in doubt always ask for the Safety Data Sheet for the paint, or look it up on the net, before using it.

Regards,
Graeme

Vapouriser
Fireman
Fireman

Locomotive paint

Post by Vapouriser » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:23 pm

No funky visions unfortunately. Just over and out! I paint my narrow boat with Rylards oil based paont ok but if someone is using solvent paints i have to move my boat till theyve finished. Cant even have normal teeth fillings.Silver solder best for that Sorry this isnt railway like is it.I might get it done proffesionaly in the new year or buy lots of brasso. Oh yes I like Brasso.

R31 Mark
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by R31 Mark » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:33 pm

Must be a real pain having issues with that sort of stuff. Oh well, all the best for your loco! :D