Inside of NWNGR coach-colour?

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Keith S
Driver
Driver

Inside of NWNGR coach-colour?

Post by Keith S » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:29 pm

I've just received a coach kit in the mail from IP, the "Gladstone" coach.

I think it will fit nicely with the Billy, and I am impressed with the size of it. I'm still not used to narrow gauge trains, where the rolling stock is often bigger than the engines!

I think I'd better figure out what I'm going to do with the inside before I glue any more bulkheads, seats, etc, into the coach.

Can anyone tell me what colour the floor, walls, window frames, &c. should be? I gather from pictures online that there is a lot of varnished wood inside these things. I'm more curious about the floor.

Also, how do people most commonly stick windows in these? Do you just glue a strip across the backs of the windows, or do you carefully cut each one to fit precisely inside the actual frames?

Thanks,

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:07 pm

From looking at pictures of this recently I believe that the third class 'open' section is cream inside with varnished seats and the third class compartment was varnished all over with patterned seats. In NWNGR days there were also curtains. Very nice coach, thinking of starting one very soon. The floor would most likely have been grey, I think this is how the WHHR have done theirs but can't remember.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:57 pm

I found these pic's on the web if they're of any use,

I certainly won't be trying to repro THIS fabric pattern! :shock:

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:19 am

Looks like the cream coloured sides from the windows down in the open sections that taliesin mentioned, and a wood floor, and cream seat frames with varnished slats.

Also looks like just a varnished wood floor in the open sections, or might that be a brownish red linoleum of some kind?

The kit has wooden slatted seats in the enclosed section as well, so I think I'll just varnish everything in there, but I might glue down some cloth to look like the blue carpet in the picture.

Marquis DeCarabas
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Marquis DeCarabas » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:24 am

Be warned...

The upper picture is before the current refit and upholstery in the lower picture.

There was a set on the web that had amazing shots of the refit and detail shots of the end compartments - ISTR that the seats had cream tops and the cream extended down the walls to the floor.
De Carabas

At the service of angelislington

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:13 am

the current refit
There's the reason that there's no short answer to the original question - the coach has had several make-overs in its history and the colour schemes inside and out have changed.
If you're wanting to be totally prototypical, you're going to have to specify a date and research that.
Luckily, I'm freelancing ;)

Marquis DeCarabas
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Marquis DeCarabas » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:19 am

Yes - very true.

In the first preservation incarnation the interior walls were painted cream down to the floor, but are now stained wood.

Further details are Festipedia LINK.

My notes suggest that after dual braking in 1923 it was exterior uniform green colour, interior cream ceiling only with seats at least painted in a medium brown [1] - the first class section was derated after spending 1915 - 22 out in the open at Dinas. There is a hint of varnished mahogany beading around both the fixed lights and open section window opening (as they were going to be glazed at one time).

1891 - 1915 has the cream upper works outside, with NWNG maroon beneath; top horizontal of open section cream and the rest of the woodwork of the walls in a pale varnish with mahogany cornerposts and framing filled in with pitch pine planks. Grey floor. The current refit is very, very close indeed to how the carriage was at delivery.

The only really unfathomable area (apart from the colours of the upholstery in 1891 - 1915) is the interior colour after dual braking (in the FR era) - the trend for most of the carriages seems to have been to paint the ceilings cream, paint the (solid) seats a medium brown and revarnish the woodwork, by now much darker than the original pitch pine as supplied. I suspect that the slatted seats were merely revarnished, although they do appear slightly lighter than the walls of the open compartment, that may be a trick of the light (as likewise with the mahogany finishing on the openings post 1923); Kentish Green can look most peculiar when rendered in black and white.

The only other thing of note was that the exterior was repainted in  the early May of 1934 prior to the FR lease period, changing from Kentish Green to a rather nondescript red (this repainting is borne out by details of the carriages standing at Dinas during the second closure period). Additionally, during its first incarnation, the seats did not have slatted bases, they were shaped and perforated like tramway cars.

[1] not conclusive, it could be varnished mahogany. Some NWNG carriages during the HFS period had very, very dark interiors and seems most likely to be as a result of revarnishing of the wood, though some seats were painted. It depended on the manufacturer of the coach.

I suppose in essence if you want......the best answer is cream ceiling, brown wood interior with the seats being darker than the walls and a light grey floor.
De Carabas

At the service of angelislington

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:38 pm

Wow. Thanks for all the info guys. I guess I'll have to make up my mind before I put the seats in. Luckily they look to be quite fiddly and will take a while.

I suppose since on the model there are slatted seats for all three compartments, maybe the best thing would be the simplest, brown wood interior and light grey floor as Carabas suggests.

After all, I am just trying to make something that looks nice with my engine, not a real scale model. I just liked the dimensions of that particular coach.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:21 pm

Here is a picture of my progress so far. I am enjoying this kit. It's easy to put together, but enough of a challenge that it's keeping me occupied. I was astonished to see the trucks were wooden at first, but now they are together they look well enough under the coach. They have metal wheels and brass bearings so they roll quite well. I decided on a stain with a colour called "cognac", which is more brown and less red than I thought it would be but I like it anyway. I decided to do the sides in the open areas in cream, and the upper parts brown like the outside. I found a photo of the coach where this was the case, and it looks OK. The bulkheads and the interior of the 1st class cabin I have done just varnished, and I think I will put little brass curtain rods and red curtains in there, and try to make the floor look carpeted by cutting up one of Mrs. Keith's scarves.

Next up are the dozen little latted seats. Lots of fiddling there.