Show Us Your Dining Cars

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Show Us Your Dining Cars

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun May 22, 2011 6:18 pm

With the sad announcement that dining services are to be withdrawn from the ECML, show us that you are maintaining the tradition for your passengers! ;)

Dining car on the Westwood & Loscoe Light Railway.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun May 22, 2011 7:01 pm

The MDLR has a Buffet / Observation Car - here's a shot taken of the Bar...............

............... and with the lights on................

........... and the completed car with the table lamps on.

Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Re: Show Us Your Dining Cars

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Sun May 22, 2011 7:45 pm

Narrow Minded:53835 wrote:With the sad announcement that dining services are to be withdrawn from the ECML, show us that you are maintaining the tradition for your passengers! ;)
Which now probabaly the only thing you can get now travelling with a BR pass is just a cup of tea at a push :roll: and back on topic, all i have is the station cafe! Funds currently arent availible for a dining car as of yet! :lol:

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun May 22, 2011 9:13 pm

I've not got one, but two!
Ffestiniog number 14, should probably try ripping the roof off again at some point and put some figures and buffet detail in
Welsh Highland Ashbury buffet car, this is a pic of its first run in service but it had a bit of a spruce up over the winter
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun May 22, 2011 10:02 pm

S'not actually that bright, twas a sunny day ;)

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Re: Show Us Your Dining Cars

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sun May 22, 2011 11:10 pm

Narrow Minded:53835 wrote:With the sad announcement that dining services are to be withdrawn from the ECML, show us that you are maintaining the tradition for your passengers! ;)
To quote the late great Jim Morrison who sang "The West (Coast mainline) is the best" in one of his tracks with the doors........

Well here's one of my dining car's.....
(although not this one exactly as this is the bottom end of pendo 33, the Greyrigg set).

But I can confess that brekkie is nice...
(Best use of secondmans seat ever unless the TM is one of the fit girlys..) ;)

:twisted:  :twisted:

Back to the CVLR, well it is an arses on seats kind of railway & I will admit they have no dininig coaches at all. Packed lunches being the order of the day.
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun May 22, 2011 11:30 pm

Packed lunches being the order of the day.
So, erm, what was all this about "West is best"? ;) :lol:

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sun May 22, 2011 11:32 pm

Narrow Minded:53880 wrote:
Packed lunches being the order of the day.
So, erm, what was all this about "West is best"? ;)   :lol:
Vegamite packed lunch mate, can't beat it...
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun May 22, 2011 11:49 pm

Vegamite packed lunch mate, can't beat it...
Is that one of Jim Morrisons? or Morrisons as in "more reasons to shop at Morrisons"?

Oops, juvenile inter-regional banter bungles the thread - again! :lol:

But, the East Coast route was where British railway dining began in 1879! ;)

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sun May 22, 2011 11:53 pm

Narrow Minded:53884 wrote:Oops, juvenile inter-regional banter bungles the thread - again! :lol:
Did you expect anything else? :D

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun May 22, 2011 11:56 pm

Did you expect anything else?
Good God no! Where would the fun be in that?! ;)

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sun May 22, 2011 11:58 pm

Thank god for that, for a second there I thought you had joined the no sense of railway humour brigade....

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Mon May 23, 2011 12:02 am

Pendo Pilot:53887 wrote:Thank god for that, for a second there I thought you had joined the no sense of railway humour brigade....
"You Can-not be serious!" :lol: :lol:

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:11 am

The line that is the inspiration for my latest endeavours, the RTM, had a steel bodied 15 metre dining car which survives at Ouddorp and is being restored.  I seem to think it was built in the early 1930s and was, technically speaking, a rebuild of an earlier vehicle.  At the moment Ouddorp is building a replica of the last of the RTM Box Locos No.37, which survived into the late 50s, but not into preservation after 1966.

From the odds and ends I have gleaned about RTM engineering and accountancy practices the Dining Car may have been almost a new vehicle, but because of restrictions on the capital account it may have been put through the books as a rebuild.  This tendancy got stronger in the 1950s after NS took a large stake in the RTM.  They were only interested in the Tramway's bus services, so any expenditure on new equipment for the rail side of operations had to be hidden in plain sight, as NS had little interest in seeing the narrow gauge operations continue.  

If my line ever runs to a catering vehicle it is most likely to be wooden bodied 13 metre carriage adapted into a 'bar car' for dishing out the cold Heineken and snacks to homeward bound commuters.  :D

My other favourite railway - the IMR has a bar set adapted from three of the 1905 saloons in the early 1980s.  Of the 1905 build of carriages the six saloons survive, but the two brake-luggage-thirds "half vans' have been broken up :(  Indeed of the half-vans only F43 and F49 survive, most of the others have gone since Nationalisation in 1978.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.