This should make Chris Bird happy !

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

This should make Chris Bird happy !

Post by grumpfuttock » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:55 am

Sunday the 7th August I took my new Accucraft Mogul (supposed to be my last loco) to the Gauge 1 track at the Hotel Krogen in Aalborg, Denmark. The first run was made with my experimental exhaust pipe (first few seconds of the video), then I fitted the Summerlands Chuffer that had arrived the week before from PPS. To be honest, the result is fairly deafening when one is in close proximity :lol: At home on my track with very steep inclines, it can be heard further up the street !

The loco ran very well, and very smoothly at low speeds. please excuse the over active autofocus on my camera.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbJ-W3KnVJM
John.

"I am not an armchair modeller, I have a garden railway, so I am a deckchair modeller."

http://www.tumblydowncottage.dk

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:26 pm

If I was Chris Bird I would be pleased.

That's a beautiful engine. I especially like the "Blued" look of the boiler jacket, and the wooden passenger coaches. I wish I could go to a hotel that had a garden railway.

James-Buzz
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James-Buzz » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:45 pm

The motion is quite mesmorising! 8)

The funnel chimney certainly amplifies the chuffer :D
James of Dunstable.

Chris Bird
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Chris Bird » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:44 pm

Wow John - that looks and sounds great! I am VERY happy indeed :D

I hardly ever see videos of chuffers fitted to the US outline locos, so it is just great that you have posted this video.

Many thanks
Chris

grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Post by grumpfuttock » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:27 am

Keith S:57618 wrote:If I was Chris Bird I would be pleased.

That's a beautiful engine. I especially like the "Blued" look of the boiler jacket, and the wooden passenger coaches. I wish I could go to a hotel that had a garden railway.
The hotel has had quite a few international garden railway enthusiasts and their loco's from England, the US, Holland, Germany and France visiting it in the 3 years the railway has existed. There's 330 metres of Peco gauge 1 track at the moment and an extension is planned for the coming year. I only live 1½ hours drive away from the hotel, so it is easy to participate in the once monthly running days, but guests have the layout at their disposal during their stay.

I like the "blued look" too. I had fallen for the Mason Bogie from Accucraft initially, but after being informed that fitting R/C was pretty impossible due to lack of space and the design of the reversing gear, I decided on the Mogul, which I certainly haven't regretted. Now all I have to do is find invent some story to justify it's existence on my garden railway which is basically a British narrow gauge line :lol:
John.

"I am not an armchair modeller, I have a garden railway, so I am a deckchair modeller."

grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Post by grumpfuttock » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:17 am

Chris Bird:57637 wrote:Wow John - that looks and sounds great! I am VERY happy indeed :D

I hardly ever see videos of chuffers fitted to the US outline locos, so it is just great that you have posted this video.

Many thanks
Chris
I was very pleased when I discovered that there was a chuffer available for the Mogul ! You are welcome to include the video in the gallery on your website should you consider it worthy. I reduced the volume to approximately 60% when I edited the video, as the chuff was so loud !

One advantage of the Summerlands Chuffer over another chuff enhancer on the market, is that it is still possible to see in the flue and check that the flame is where it is supposed to be, and not burning in the smokebox which it seems has happened to some people occasionally.

I have discovered that a larger internal diameter exhaust pipe, fitted over the outside of the bush where the exhaust pipe screws in the reversing valve outlet, gives much less back pressure and an increase in power. With the chuffer fitted, or the original exhaust pipe, the regulator needed to be opened approx 90 degrees whereas with the larger bore pipe the regulator only needed opening by 30 to 40 degrees to pull the same train, response  to opening the regulator was much quicker too !
John.

Chris Bird
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Chris Bird » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:24 pm

Thanks John - I would certainly like to put a link to your video on my website.

Your exhaust trials are interesting. Accucraft deliberately restrict the exhaust on their locos to make them more controllable so the Chuffer is designed to give a similar restriction (though we use 1/8" pipe rather than 3mm). Even the mighty K-36 uses a restricted exhaust and I have heard that it will pull a small town. I have also heard it can be quite noisy :D

Cheers
Chris