16mm De Winton?

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

16mm De Winton?

Post by -steves- » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:38 pm

i have this urge to treat myself to a De Winton type engine at some point soon. These things have always had a strange appeal to me but I have never been lucky enough to own anything like it.

I have been looking at the Regner range, particuarly the Chaloner, but of course notice there are other companies making similar and indeed the same company making less expensive versions.

As someone with little understanding on the value for money on the live steam area, I thought I would ask on here what they think would be a good value for money purchase in this arena.

It should be noted it needs to be 45mm gauge, its just a broader option for me....

I hope that lot makes sense to someone

Thanks
Steve :D

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:43 pm

Oh, and forgive any ignorance in there, but i am no expert at these things, far far from it, purely for fun and enjoyment :)

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:43 pm

You could build your own......... It's quite possibly the easiest type of loco to build and Allen Morgan described a coal fired one a year or two ago, if you REALLY wnat a challenge!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:52 pm

MDLR:57467 wrote:You could build your own......... It's quite possibly the easiest type of loco to build and Allen Morgan described a coal fired one a year or two ago, if you REALLY wnat a challenge!
I personally have extremly little in the way of engineering skills. more of a wood, glue and screw driver kinda person. Lathes and milling machines I am afraid are beyond my scope at this time, although my step dad who I do all of this with, can indeed use them, its just a matter of gaining his time as nearly 20 years into retirement he still doesn;t have any spare time, lol. :lol:

I agree it would be a formidable challenge and one I would love to do, but fear its out of my reach at this time.... :oops:

Think i am better off with a bought one for now :oops: