JUST SOME PHOTOS PART 8 (AND LAST OF SERIES

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
sandy1000
Cleaner
Cleaner

JUST SOME PHOTOS PART 8 (AND LAST OF SERIES

Post by sandy1000 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:23 am

This is the last of my photos of garden railways. I built the garden railway several years ago and due mainly to ill health it has all been taken up again and is no more. It was 80 yards around and was both O gauge and Gauge one. I built the largest radius curves possible and tried to make it as flat as possible to allow for highspeed running. The track was made of old railway sleepers as the uprights, angle iron as the horizontal supports and a product used for outdoor bill boards for the track base. The gauge one track came 2nd hand and was Tenmille. It is still in use after about 20 years of searing summer heat, icy winters and shows no sign of degradation. For the O gauge track I used the famous and now protected timber King William Pine, the supposed king of boat building timbers. It rotted out in 3 years on my track. Angle iron was surprisingly easy to useand provided it is rust proofed surprisingly durable. Inexpensive too. So, thanks for the chance to provide some sort of record of my track. That is sparkling Port Phillip Bay in the background of the last photo and on a good summer's day it was a very pleasant way to waste some time that would otherwise have been spent painting the kitchen or replacing the bathroom tiles.