Last Thursday, we were rudely awakened by the post woman

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Last Thursday, we were rudely awakened by the post woman

Post by grumpfuttock » Tue May 20, 2008 11:44 pm

It was just an ordinary Thursday morning, and we were sleeping soundly until the doorbell started ringing irritatingly. I stumbled stupified out of bed, fumbled my way into some cothes and headed (muttering curses under my breath) for the back door. There stood the post woman and I immediately forgave the interruption to my slumbers when I noticed a large sturdy cardboard box at her feet with the words "Made in China" stamped on it. I calmly waited until she had disappeared around the corner of the house  and then grabbed the scissors.

For 9 months I had eagerly awaited this very moment, a moment that should be savoured and enjoyed to the full. Unfortunately that didn't happen. Bursting with excitement and with trembling hands, I had already launched a frenzied attack on the box and the tape that kept me from its contents. After much cutting and tearing, the box revealed its inner self........ and I discovered wads of foam rubber padding, which 2 seconds later were flying across the kitchen, just missing my wife who sleepily came to see what all the commotion was about.

"Oh it's arrived then" she said unexcitedly.

I peered into the box, now minus padding, and saw ...... arrrrgghhhhhhhhhh!!! ANOTHER box. My brain started to urge me to treat this somewhat smaller box with more respect and sanity was partially restored. I gently lifted it to the table and proceeded to cut the tape on the lid. I eased the lid off,  then more foam padding flew threw the air. I began to wonder if the contents that I had been expecting were actually there, as I realised that this box now contained a thick wad of tissue paper bound up with what looked like an endless amount of wide packing tape....grrrrrrrrr!

Again the scissors went into action.... and after a few frantic minutes I eventally found what I was looking for...a steam loco. I proudly lifted it out... and heard "Ooo...Oooo" noises from my wife, followed by, "wow, that looks so good".

And it does look good too... in fact my first reaction was "wow, what a masterpiece of a model". It is a loco I have fancied for years. So much detail and so well made. We gave it a run on blocks in the afternoon, and a quick "light engine" run on the railway, and it went very well, even running light engine produced a very good chuff and it ran at a contollable speed despite lacking R/C at the moment. Last saturday we ran the loco at an exhibition pulling 4 goods wagons, two open wagons filled with stone, 2 Bachmann bogie passenger coaches and a brake van. It pulled the train effortlessy.

So for the benefit of those of you, who have patiently read all of the twaddle written above...here's a pic.... even for those who "cheated" and skipped the text :lol:

Such a shame that our loco is one of the last batch  produced  :(
John.

"I am not an armchair modeller, I have a garden railway, so I am a deckchair modeller."

http://www.tumblydowncottage.dk

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Wed May 21, 2008 2:30 am

Lovely engine John was worth the wait im sure

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Wed May 21, 2008 12:45 pm

Great loco. How come you had to wait 9 months for it?
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Wed May 21, 2008 12:50 pm

Beautiful! You lucky lucky bar steward! Just a word of warning though! Dont over load it like the one in PTLRcecils YouTube vid. That Lyn is now awaiting some attention!
Bungle80a

"Who has stolen the 3 link coupling off the end of my train?!?!

.....[a few minutes pass hunting down replacements].....

"So, which comedian has uncoupled my entire train?!?!"

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed May 21, 2008 2:11 pm

A very nice loco John, and I'm sure you are well pleased after your long wait.

I hope it is not subject to the poor quality control that seems to be coming out of China at present.

Look forward to a video in due course.

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Wed May 21, 2008 3:46 pm

Nice 8)

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Wed May 21, 2008 4:43 pm

Nice to hear from you John, beautifel loco, very jealous. How's the 'Cedrig' coming on?

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Wed May 21, 2008 4:45 pm

lovely looking engine, hope its a good'un
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Wed May 21, 2008 6:24 pm

Brilliant loco!! I wish i could afford stuff like this!

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Wed May 21, 2008 6:51 pm

steamyjim wrote:I wish i could afford stuff like this!
You could, if you stopped spending money on mamods :roll: .

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Wed May 21, 2008 7:35 pm

I was expecting that sort of response Will :lol:

MTA

Post by MTA » Wed May 21, 2008 7:52 pm

That is such a gorgeous loco, then again I am biased :lol:

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Wed May 21, 2008 9:36 pm

steamyjim wrote:I was expecting that sort of response Will :lol:
ROFL, just like I say to you as well mate!!!! ;) :lol:

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Wed May 21, 2008 9:39 pm

I started drooling when I saw my friend John's black Lyn:

Now you say last batch, now Im crying!!! :cry: I will never get one now. :roll: :(

Anyway, looks stunning grumpfuttock, I bet your absolutely overjoyed! Keep us posted with pics and vids! ;)

grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Post by grumpfuttock » Wed May 21, 2008 11:29 pm

Matt wrote:Great loco. How come you had to wait 9 months for it?
Last summer I heard that Accucraft UK were intending to produce a 1912 version of Lyn with the original chimney and livery, with the brown lined-out chassis frames and cylinders, so I ordered one. Unfortunately at the beginning of this year I was informed that only 2 people had showed an interest in this version of the loco and the batch was being cancelled, so I changed the order to the standard Lyn, which was due to arrive in May (which it did :D ) I am glad I did order it, otherwise I may have missed out on getting one.
bungle80a wrote:Beautiful! You lucky lucky bar steward! Just a word of warning though! Dont over load it like the one in PTLRcecils YouTube vid. That Lyn is now awaiting some attention!
Funnily enough I saw that video last night. I haven't had time to look at the forum much the past few weeks and was trying to catch up. Thank you so much for that advice, when I saw that Lyn pulling all that stock, I thought..."Oooooo very impressive". Now I shall be careful !
CCairns wrote:I hope it is not subject to the poor quality control that seems to be coming out of China at present.
Ian Pearse was in China in April testing everything that was ready for shipment. There is only one small fault with mine, the lefthand front cylinder cover is leaking, replacement gaskets are on their way. He was quite puzzled as he remembers testing mine, and did not notice the leak.
John.

"I am not an armchair modeller, I have a garden railway, so I am a deckchair modeller."

grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Post by grumpfuttock » Wed May 21, 2008 11:42 pm

SillyBilly wrote:Nice to hear from you John, beautifel loco, very jealous. How's the 'Cedrig' coming on?
Thanks William.
Cedrig is coming on slowly. The water pump is on, the lubricator relocated. All the plumbing has been done except for the side tanks and the pipe from the tanks to the pump. The whole system has been put under pressure, everything was fine except for the lubricator, which sprays water from the threaded rod in the bottom. I will have to silver solder that in the next few days. I have started on the side tanks, 2 sides of each tank have rivet detail. I modified the chimney it is still a stovepipe, but is now a bit fatter and 1 cm taller. I hope to have some pics of progress sometime soon.
John.

grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Post by grumpfuttock » Thu May 22, 2008 12:05 am

mhlr wrote:I started drooling when I saw my friend John's black Lyn:
Now you say last batch, now Im crying!!!  :cry:  I will never get one now.  :roll:  :(

Anyway, looks stunning grumpfuttock, I bet your absolutely overjoyed! Keep us posted with pics and vids!  ;)
Your friends loco looks great Pete. Never say NEVER. who knows what may turn up in the future. I do not know how many "Lyn's" were in the last batch, but I guess there will be some available for a while yet. When Bachmann came out with their model of "Lyn" I really longed for a live steam version. I never thought I would get one, as in Oct. 2003 I bought my Cheddar "Hercules" and proclaimed to my wife, that it was the last loco I would buy......one month later, Accucraft announced the arrival of "Lyn" and I cursed ! 2 loco's later my wife doesn't believe anything I say  :o

Yes I am absolutely overjoyed, and still amazed at how perfect it is compared to the real loco, of which I have some photos, and some drawings from the Railway Modeller. For the past few days it has been standing on a counter by the back door, and I end up standing and gazing at it for long periods throughout the day.
John.

grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Post by grumpfuttock » Thu May 22, 2008 12:17 am

SillyBilly wrote:
steamyjim wrote:I wish i could afford stuff like this!
You could, if you stopped spending money on mamods :roll: .
:lol: :lol: :lol: Ha.Ha !

One fine day, Jim, and probably in the not too distant future..., you will........ :D
John.