IP VoR short coaches

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
DLRdan
Driver
Driver

IP VoR short coaches

Post by DLRdan » Wed May 04, 2011 10:14 pm

There don't apear to be many reviews in here so I thought I would write one about the coaches I have just built. The construction was fairly simple, the edges of each pannel needing only light sanding before gluing together with PVA. I have added real rivets and door frames for some extra detail which are made from 2mm square wood strip. The guards van was built first. This was the first encounter i had with the new laser cut kits and I was impressed by the fine plank detail which had been acheived. the castings supplied were a familar sight and required only slight cleaning.

Next came one of the passenger coaches, this was different from the van being still its its frett from the laser cutter. The cutting also seemed to be a higher quality. The other difference from the van was the narrower foot boards.

The last coach was very different from the two previous models. The parts were loose in the bag and were sligtly warped. On further inspection the edges were chared especially round the windows, the window frames being the worst. The kit also came with much deeper sole bars which were over 3mm taller than the other models and needed to be reduced. The foot boards were the wider version as the van and there was also a row of rivets missing from the end, something I had not noticed till the coach was painted.

Once the paint has been applied the differences are not noticeable and they make a fine sight being towed by the smaller locos.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed May 04, 2011 10:19 pm

Excellent, thanks Dan a grand review. Lets see a video and a pic of it with a loco eh?
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed May 04, 2011 10:54 pm

That's a nice looking rake and a really useful review - cheers Dan! :D

Can you tell me what paint you used on the bodywork? That's showing up as a gorgeous colour on my screen! ;)

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Wed May 04, 2011 11:51 pm

Lovely job mate, always liked those VoR coaches. Grand! :D

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Thu May 05, 2011 5:34 pm

The colour is from Carplan red-08, Greg.
Dan,

DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu May 05, 2011 6:14 pm

DLRdan:53113 wrote:The colour is from Carplan red-08, Greg.
I thank you kind sir - I'll be giving it a go on an upcoming project and let you know how it suits ;)

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Tue May 24, 2011 4:56 pm

I do like those coaches. I actually own one (if you look in the rolling stock section, you may find the topic).

The kit fits really well together but my only criticism is that that couplings didn't have the holes for the hooks drilled. This is strange seeing as the home builder couplings do come with holes. Very strange. Still, it's good to have such handsome coaches being made for the price. Mine has a mahogany interior & running boards

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Mon May 30, 2011 11:00 am

Last coach in the set, the summer coach. This one is different from the standard one as I did not like the windows in the end pannels. After a quick converstation copies were made without the windows by Zach. There are the slight differences between this and the other coaches, the ends have two rivets and it has the wider foot boards. The sole bars are oddly made 6mm over length so have to be cut down by the builder. There are also 4 rectangles of wood in the kit that the instructions give no mention of, these go under the end seats.

Dan,

DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail