Points - question re different types

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
bluewater1150
Cleaner
Cleaner

Points - question re different types

Post by bluewater1150 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:21 pm

Can someone explain the difference between standard points and 'Y' points? I am building my first track and incorporating a 3 meter passing loop, on a fairly straight section. I was going to use standard R & L points but see that Peco sell 'Y' points in 32mm.
Would these be better i.e. greater radius - enlighten me please...

Elliot
Barrasford
Northumberland.

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:36 pm

Its not so much the radius but the way the rails diverge. If the main line is straight but you want to split it to the left then a left hand point is ideal same for right hand but a y point is ideal if you want one line to split into two without there being a straight through rail for example a balloon loop.

Imagine a straight piece of line overlaid by a left hand curve rail. a left hand point gives you the choice of straight on or turn left the opersite gives you a right but the y is like two curve in opersite directions.

So to answer your passing loop question you could use a left and a right if there is a mainline that you want to divert into a loop and then back onto the main line but if both loop lines are of equal then two y points will divert either way without bias.