Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
-
dougrail
- Driver

- Posts: 1535
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
- Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia
Post
by dougrail » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:21 pm
Yup. Never seen it happen myself pauly, but have wondered...
Still. It's something to consider?
I'm pleased though - for what the coaches are and how I can improve them cheaply, and compared to kits and rtrs, I think I've come out well.

Shame aboutt he bogie coach but eh. Maybe it'll come up again or I could scratchbuild my own next year.
-
Steven.T
- Fireman

- Posts: 410
- Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:56 pm
- Location: Stockton
Post
by Steven.T » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:49 am
Looks like I'm scratch building the lot

-
Narrow Minded
Post
by Narrow Minded » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:37 am
dougrail:50717 wrote:Exactly. Like on the Mamod forums. They have topics sticked for specific brands like Wilesco, Mamod, Fleischmann and so forth.
Then if someone says "I'm going after it" and has definitely put an Ebay bid on, most users then treat it like a gentleman's agreement and decide to allow it. It's been very helpful when I've gone Mamod loco shopping and ensured I got a semi-clear road.
Not sure what happens if two equally-dead-set individuals see an item however...:/
That "sort of works" on here -
If someone spots something of interest on eBay and posts a link in the
FOR SALE thread, then another Forum member posts a comment along the lines of "bidding", I'm pretty sure everyone else leaves it.
Or do they? 
-
dougrail
- Driver

- Posts: 1535
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
- Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia
Post
by dougrail » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:41 am
Ahhhhhhhhhhh.
I didn't post in the For Sale specifically. I mentioned them in my Introduction post and a couple other posts.
Still, done and dusted now - only regret is not the bogie coach.
-
Steven.T
- Fireman

- Posts: 410
- Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:56 pm
- Location: Stockton
Post
by Steven.T » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:47 am
-
TheChestnutLine
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 208
- Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:53 am
- Location: 'Up North'
Post
by TheChestnutLine » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:06 am
...and now it's gone

What was it anyway?
James
-
Steven.T
- Fireman

- Posts: 410
- Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:56 pm
- Location: Stockton
Post
by Steven.T » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:55 pm
That was quick to disappear

An open wagon, grey permanent way type thing, another one for my very mixed rake!
I'll put a pic up when receive it
Ste
-
Narrow Minded
Post
by Narrow Minded » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:33 pm
Keith&Joanna:51285 wrote:Narrow Minded:50752 wrote:dougrail:50717 wrote:Exactly. Like on the Mamod forums. They have topics sticked for specific brands like Wilesco, Mamod, Fleischmann and so forth.
Then if someone says "I'm going after it" and has definitely put an Ebay bid on, most users then treat it like a gentleman's agreement and decide to allow it. It's been very helpful when I've gone Mamod loco shopping and ensured I got a semi-clear road.
Not sure what happens if two equally-dead-set individuals see an item however...:/
That "sort of works" on here -
If someone spots something of interest on eBay and posts a link in the
FOR SALE thread, then another Forum member posts a comment along the lines of "bidding", I'm pretty sure everyone else leaves it.
Or do they? 
yeah! that DOES work on here i have found, what a bunch of lovely people we are :D
Was that a serious comment Keith or was there just a hint of sarcasm in your typing?

-
Narrow Minded
Post
by Narrow Minded » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:18 am
Two IP "Atlantic" bogie coaches (Observation and Restaraunt) for £48

-
90733
- Driver

- Posts: 1955
- Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
- Location: West Yorkshire
-
Contact:
Post
by 90733 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:54 pm
Narrow Minded:51308 wrote:Two IP "Atlantic" bogie coaches (Observation and Restaraunt) for £48

Look forward to seeing them completed more

They looked like a good project .
Thanks
Jack
-
90733
- Driver

- Posts: 1955
- Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
- Location: West Yorkshire
-
Contact:
Post
by 90733 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:42 pm
Does this count as a bargain?

Two old Brandbright ezee coaches, the printed ones, complete in wooden carry case, for.....£10!

Thanks
Jack
-
Sir Clothem Cap
- Driver

- Posts: 1708
- Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:45 pm
- Location: Hampshire
-
Contact:
Post
by Sir Clothem Cap » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:56 pm
I think it counts, They look great.
-
sandy1000
Post
by sandy1000 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:36 am
I bought most of my NG rolling stock at 16mm fairs, general meetings etc., and would get there early so as to be amongst the first to scan the traders stalls. I would recognise familiar faces amongst other bargain hunters and it would be quite a race to pick up the best bargains. It was quite interesting to note the interplay between buyers as without wishing to appear to be pushy there was nevertheless an obvious steely desire amongst the bargain hunters not to miss out on desireable items and if there was the slightest hesitation on determining as to whether one should acquire some piece then it would be scooped up under one's nose without fail. You never knew what would be available and a prize locomotive I have is one of Peter Jones's CDR early diesels. Several characters honed in on this and it was with luck that I found myself ideally placed to pick it up first. It has been many years since I took part in these fairs. I wonder whether the hunt still goes on in those first few minutes of the opening of a 16mm public event.
-
MuzTrem
Post
by MuzTrem » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:33 pm
sandy1000:56602 wrote:I wonder whether the hunt still goes on in those first few minutes of the opening of a 16mm public event.
I think it does, since there's never very much left on the member-to-member sales at Stoneleigh by the time I get there
Not a specifically garden railway bargain, but I recently found a copy of the Oakwood Press biography of Edward Thompson second-hand (but in good condition) at a village fete. RRP £12.95; I got it for 50p

-
Paul H
Post
by Paul H » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:31 pm
I acquired a Pearse Colorado last weekend at a regional steamup for $475 US. So far, that's my bargain of the year.
-
sandy1000
Post
by sandy1000 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:45 am
This is not trains but is a hobby bargain missed out on. In the late 60s until the early 70s a blacksmith in Northern Australia turned out 28 very large model ships. They have become true collectors items. I have one and wanted more. Mine was built in 1972. So last month I wrote an article in the local newspaper about the builder and his boats. I was overwhelmed by the response. Phone calls, letters, emails they all poured in. But not one related to a boat being available. Except for one, an elderly lady who was moving into a aged are facility and as a result had given her boat away to her solicitor a week or so before my letter appeared. Forty years and I miss out by one week. It is beyond tears, just a matter of suffering in silence. Oh, and I did write to the solicitor but no reply, nor will there ever be one.
-
Narrow Minded
Post
by Narrow Minded » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:20 pm
A brand new 12v rechargeable battery pack complete with charger and plug/socket for under £10 to go in my Accucraft Baguley!
(
Actually a cordless drill/driver from B&Q which is donating the above parts

)
-
Pretoria
Post
by Pretoria » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:50 pm
-
Narrow Minded
Post
by Narrow Minded » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:04 pm
Pretoria:60781 wrote:
Not sure this counts as Garden Railway really -- but it is a bargain (to go with my 5" Lawley !!), and it does follow the thread.
Another (rare) e-Bay bargain at £4.99 :!:

Neat

-
Pretoria
Post
by Pretoria » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:20 pm
Narrow Minded:60783 wrote:Pretoria:60781 wrote:
Not sure this counts as Garden Railway really -- but it is a bargain (to go with my 5" Lawley !!), and it does follow the thread.
Another (rare) e-Bay bargain at £4.99 :!:

Neat

As a p.s. (or should that be a p.p. ?) -- The SAR is obvious -- "South African Railways" -- but it did take me a while to work out the SAS bit -- "Suid Afrikaanse Spoorwee", and not the other option that came to mind first !

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests