The CVLR gets it's new home (WIP railway & stock)

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:27 pm

Pendo Pilot:50351 wrote: Image
Plus I did some more work on the hosue on Llangunllo bank.. It's rather big...HMMMmm. Needs bonding together now as it is 3 seperate blocks.
You might want to keep an eye on that character lurking by the side of the building. He looks like trouble.

I was envious of your "temporary" line at your old house. This one is a work of art.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:50 pm

I don't know about "Cheap'n'Cheerful", I reckon once they're settled and weathered they'll be there for good! They look excellent and unique. They're bound to become part of the Chynell "signature".
Slap some paint on, whack some posters up and the job's a good 'un :D

If and when you find a suitable 16mm vicar for Chyknell Church, please let me know where you get him from - I've been after one for ages!

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:22 am

Almost ready to let mother nature weather in the rest...

Have nicked your fence idea Greg.... :roll: ;)

Chyknell town up to a new level. Some buildings have actual windows (without frames yet) & LED lamps in them. Just need to sort out roofs & paint the ones that are not white.

Chyknell MPD on right. Now do I squeeze two lines in or just the one...Hmmmm.
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:03 am

Bloody hell! :shock: Thats brilliant! I really didn't recognise any of the shots up the bank at all! :shock: :D

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Just back from running at the CVLR today - brilliant stuff, great fun. Many thanks to Shane for his hospitality. (Yes, I did get back in time to collect the children from school, with about 10 minutes to spare.)
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:44 pm

Your Welcome Richard, was good fun seeing your stock dealing with the line. The Millie was superb but the biggest surprise was how well the Wren did!!

Will put some pics up in a bit.

Inspired now to get the line more complete, even though running two trains was brilliant fun as it is..
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:46 pm

Pendo Pilot:50504 wrote:The Millie was superb but the biggest surprise was how well the Wren did!!
Very much so - I was astonished the Wren made it up, and back down again, twice. It probably also deserves some sort of "flame thrower of the month" award.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:10 pm

Flamethrower indeed!!

Heres lots of pics as a load have turned out good.

Wilberforce on its first run up the CVLR.

..& back down the CVLR..

CVLR No 10 gets looped on a freight train at Chyknell......

...To allow another No 10 "Wilberforce" to pass on a passenger  (Network Rail signallers take note!)

Lovely coaches..

Just liked the shot..

The plucky Wren going down the bank (Not spitting fire at this time).

The end of a good day...

So the line is now cleared for Millies, mad Wrens, IP coaches & rather tall diesels...  ;)  
CVLR Route appendix amended to reflect this.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:21 pm

I like where the pressure gauge is located on that Millie. It makes the cab look great.

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:39 pm

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0l1Fxbooui0?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0l1Fxbooui0?fs ... n_GB&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:42 pm

Keith S:50522 wrote:I like where the pressure gauge is located on that Millie. It makes the cab look great.
Thanks - I'm pleased how the cab layout has worked out, given the tremendous amount of Stuff in really quite a small open cab.

When I first added the pressure gauge I didn't really think much about where I wanted to put it and ended up with this arrangement:

Over time it dawned on me that this really wasn't ideal. When I added the whistle I got the whistle valve on a replacement banjo fitting with a new (thinner) pressure gauge syphon, and so had the chance to rethink. Much happier with the new location.

Painting much of the brasswork to reduce the bling has also really helped. Will be on the lookout for a suitable driver at Stoneleigh.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:00 pm

Great pics Shane, the Millie looks well at home on the CVLR. The line is also looking better with every update too, supurb rate of progress :)
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:21 pm

WOOOOOW, great pics, I want a wren ;) :D, Your lines looking brill, as is the millie, why can't I live next door :lol:
Thanks
Jack

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:58 pm

Shane,

Lovely video! That came out really well. I can see play it video from your YouTube profile page (here), but the embedded version on the forum is giving "This video is private" rather than playing.

(The video does rather emphasize the wheelslip doesn't it? The bank was getting pretty slippery towards the end.)

Richard
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Steven.T » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:08 pm

I can't see the video :( shame it looks to be a good one, but it says its private?
Ste

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:13 am

The line is looking fantastic Shane, really astonishing watching it go from its infancy to its weathered, bedded in look it has now. Those new building and infrastructure really set it off, although I think the buildings next to the station need a bit of colour as they look like a big prison building to me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like you had a good day steaming too, I WILL visit at somepoint ;) :lol:

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:22 am

hussra:50532 wrote:the embedded version on the forum is giving "This video is private" rather than playing.
All good now, many thanks.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:07 am

Must be YouTube having a mad spell as I have not touched it since I posted it..? (went to bed as was up 3:30 :-( ) .

Pete, will be painting the buildings when get the right colour exterior paint. In old London town at moment, if I can get to Preston in my timetabled 2 hours I can hit the DIY shop for the right colour and get painting this arvo...yay.

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:51 am

In Preston town, haven't got what I wanted....blast plan knackered. :(

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:49 pm

One thing that got missed from the video was Shane driving his Fowler like a mad thing, storming up the bank in a desperate attempt to reach the reversing loop before the Wren emerged from the other end of said loop - it having been discovered on the way up that the loop at Chyknell was full of wagons so we couldn't cross there...
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull