Riverdale Locomotives

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Riverdale Locomotives

Post by mhlr » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:19 pm

www.riverdale-loco.com

These look rather interesting, very nice uncluttered style. Will be at Stoneleigh too.

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:35 pm

Hmm... the coal fired scene is looking a little cluttered.

But compeating companies means prices may get cheaper

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:57 pm

If I find that demic Lady Ann I'm after then this would be a good place to start the rebuild!! Like the look of the kits.
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:45 pm

Sir haydn:50275 wrote:But compeating companies means prices may get cheaper
Can only be a good thing then! :D

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:30 pm

Significant differences in concept from other makes of coal-fired locos, though (the "Special" section on their web site) with neither water tank nor axle pump but, they say, a sufficiently large boiler for a decent length of run nevertheless and full RC including of damper.

Will be interested to see what the coal-firing experts make of this proposition.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

MTA

Post by MTA » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:38 pm

I'm rather concerned by their claim saying that the boiler will have enough water for a decent length run.

I would feel uncomfortable running a coal fired loco with no pump or on board tanks, as something is more likely to go wrong.

I'll wait for a review to appear and then make a firm decision though.

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:33 am

This doesn't look too good for Sabre Steam, but IMHO I think I prefer the layout of the Sabre Steam Annette

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:46 pm

hussra:50295 wrote:Will be interested to see what the coal-firing experts make of this proposition.
Their locos are very shiny.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:42 pm

TonyW:50371 wrote:Their locos are very shiny.
And most coal-fired locos that I have seen aren't, but tend to get a bit grubby?
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

MTA

Post by MTA » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:49 pm

TonyW:50371 wrote:
hussra:50295 wrote:Will be interested to see what the coal-firing experts make of this proposition.
Their locos are very shiny.
Surely that's a good thing from your perspective, Tony?! ;)

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:45 pm

I don't really see that it's all that radical, stopping the engine every 15 minutes or so to pump some more water in there, how is this different than keeping a gas fired locomotive running continuously? I guess on a gas fired engine you can at least turn off the fire instantly if you happen to run out of water, but for an "engine driver" who knows what he is about, this doesn't seem too bad to me. I daresay you could add an axle pump and associated boiler fittings in the future as funds allow. Otherwise looks pretty much the same as any other coal burner, except with a nice long run time which, if you're responsible, increases the margin of safety if anything. Better than a gas fired engine for continuous running really, because you don't need to kill the fire in order to fuel it.

I kind of like it. Then again, I also like Billys. ;)

P.S., I agree on the prototype photos, someone really loaded on the paint.

I rather enjoyed reading the "F.A.Q." page. There are some funny questions on there, like "why is pressure defined in PSI and not BAR?"

THeir answer is they use Roundhouse gauges. My answer would have been something like PSI is a real value, not some theoretical multiple of an imaginary "standard atmosphere" constant, and besides we don't go in for that european business". But that's because I'm usually grouchy. Another good question is "why are the smokebox doors welded shut" or something like that. Their answer again is, "because that's what Roundhouse does". My answer would have been: "beats the hell out of me. Ring Roundhouse and find out for us, will you?"

I've no idea why.

Anyway, I think I like the product. The website is very matter-of-fact even though the grammar could use some work, and I sort of agree with their philosophy, except I'm not a huge fan of radio control, but that's easy to get over, just take it out if you don't like it.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:10 pm

They should make a Garratt with Lady Anne bogies. That would be something to see. I'm going to start saving now,in case they ever do something like that.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:15 pm

I just noticed: They won't ship to Canada. Well, shame on them. :evil: