Which type of glue for outside all year???

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Which type of glue for outside all year???

Post by Mrs F Controller » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:25 pm

We have always battled with which type of glue to use for fixing things that stay out all year. We have a number of buildings with tile sheets for roofs, or 'brick' walls and so far have tried araldite, exterior silicone sealant, sikaflex (?) and even body filler (!) but most have either come apart, are coming apart or just never worked. These buildings stay out all year and some a re wood and some are resin. Any ideas?? What does everyone else use? :?:

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:47 pm

I must confess that I don't leave any buildings outdoor that aren't made of concrete - anything less will eventually disintegrate (and that includes Jigstones - the bothy's going to go in the Spring!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:18 pm

My buildings stay out permanently and through bitter experience I've found the same as you - but.....

I use a "combination technique" which gives years of durability :D
Nothing new, just other peoples experiences combined together so without drum roll or fanfare,
I use "Uhu" glue as a flexible bonding agent which seems to withstand temperature extremes, provides waterproofing and is dirt cheap from the "everything's a £1" type shops (it will have foreign writing all over the tube but it's still Uhu)
Then I use car body filler (this time from the "budget hardware" shops) to line every internal joint of the structure.

They won't last forever, but I carry out any necessary repairs when I bring buildings in for re-paints.
You just have to accept the fact that since we can't scale down nature we work with a speeded up clock as regards structure maintenance :D

I've recently tried the spray on contact adhesive (sold for fitting carpets and floor tiles) to fix bean can corrugated iron roofing.
One coat applied to the roof, one coat applied to the sheeting, wait a couple of seconds then bond.
I was well impressed with the way it worked, only time will tell how durable it is :D

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

The right type of glue

Post by Mrs F Controller » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:49 pm

I like it! Never thought of Uhu always remembered it from school but will give it a go. The spray contact adhesive sounds a good idea, we used it to put carpet on the walls of the cabin in the first boat we had and mostly it worked so that's given me some ideas to try it again. Thanks.

We do bring them in from time to time and our garden is very exposed, good old exterior wood glue seems to work very well for most stuff but it is when you start mixing materials ie plastic to wood etc that the problem comes.

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:56 pm

Narrow Minded:49905 wrote:My buildings stay out permanently and through bitter experience I've found the same as you - but.....

:D
Just looked at your website and saw the level crossing... talking about glueing things down how do you get the fencing and gates etc to stay there??

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:08 pm

Coathangers :D

It's a well known fact that odd socks disappear in the wash to be replaced by wire coathangers.
Hence we end up with missing socks and a glut of wire coathangers and I've finally found a use for 'em!

Heavy duty wire cutters chop up the hangers into the required "straight" bits which are used as "anchors" either driven well into the ground or into short pre-drilled holes in concrete etc.
Do this to correspond with the fence uprights and fix with an appropriate coloured tiny tie wrap.
The crossing gates can be done in the same way (St Peters crosssing near Codnor Wood), or, as I'm doing at Westwood, drill a hole up the crossing post and glue the coat hanger wire into that.
(This method works a treat for signal posts too, see the new Loscoe "Starter" :D )

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:19 am

Thats the way Greg though I found pieces of metal sticking up out the ground to be a little dangerous on my line for the reasons of the dog.Most furniture is brought in in the winter months

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Type of glue

Post by Mrs F Controller » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:43 pm

I quite agree about the bits sticking out of the ground. I don't think Guide Dogs would be very happy if I skewer Inca's paws! Ouch!!

Thanks to all for the ideas though and we will soon be out there trying to glue down or attach the new fencing posts somehow!

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:35 pm

Greg though I found pieces of metal sticking up out the ground to be a little dangerous on my line............
No, no, you've missd the gist - nothing sharp & pointy "sticks up" out of the ground :roll:
It's either flush, secured and disguised as part of the fence etc - or it's secured into the base of a post which is then stuck in the ground.
I can assure all concerned parties that the Elfen Safety would be more than happy with the arrangement :D

(I've certainly not seen any of the local wildlife wandering around the garden in safety goggles etc :lol: )

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:31 am

Narrow Minded:50207 wrote:
Greg though I found pieces of metal sticking up out the ground to be a little dangerous on my line............
No, no, you've missd the gist - nothing sharp & pointy "sticks up" out of the ground :roll:
It's either flush, secured and disguised as part of the fence etc - or it's secured into the base of a post which is then stuck in the ground.
I can assure all concerned parties that the Elfen Safety would be more than happy with the arrangement :D

(I've certainly not seen any of the local wildlife wandering around the garden in safety goggles etc :lol: )
You haven't got a giant of a dog that i shalf Irish Water Spaniel and half labrador! I have never known a dog so clumsy he just pushes things over which if stuck in the ground by a metal thing the metal will stay there (being pointy) and the fence or whatever snaps off! Besides Mr F Controller has made the concrete base so hard we found we can't even drill it! I think we are stuffed all round apart from keep glueing it back on. Will let you know how the electric fencing used to keep herons off the pond works to keep dogs off the railway.....

(how about ducks with rubber shoes?) :lol: