My first "New" locomotive

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Crayfish
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Crayfish » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:51 pm

Hello everyone,

I have also just got my Accucraft Leader (in Maroon) and steamed it this weekend. I've made a little video and uploaded it to Youtube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6bae-90OpE

My only other engine is a Mamod so this is a world of difference for me. The gas burner on my Mamod will blow out at the slightest breeze which makes running it frustrating except on the stillest of days.

I love the Leader, it feels like a real piece of model engineering. It also dwarfs my Mamod and all my other stock. It's amazing how variable 16mm scale is.

I had one issue with the Leader, after a few minutes of being in steam the sight glass started to leak from the bottom. I unbolted it and reset the rubber washer and all seems well now. They are not the easiest bolts to get a spanner to so I hope it is fixed well now.

Am now considering options for lining it out. Not sure whether to get transfers from locolines or invest in a lining pen.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:57 pm

Keith&Joanna:47919 wrote:Or you could sent it to Berry Hill Works, Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works, or Geoff Munday at Lightlines  ;)
Or if you're a cheapskate, but have patience, you could also use Trimline for a 'simpler' lining job. Also good for seeing what colours go with the maroon!

Crayfish
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Crayfish » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:35 am

mhlr:47993 wrote:Or if you're a cheapskate, but have patience, you could also use Trimline for a 'simpler' lining job. Also good for seeing what colours go with the maroon!
This describes me quite well, thanks for the tip!

I guess it's the other locos in my collection that gave you the idea I have a tight budget for this hobby :) The Leader was my 40th birthday present and is expected to last me at least as long as my Mamod has (about 30 years),

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:59 am

Can you post some photos of the mamod burner as I don't recognis it

New Haven Neil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Leader

Post by New Haven Neil » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:59 pm

I'm very pleased with mine! Fitted 2 ch r/c, lining and lettering from waterslide transfers custom made by Chris Moxham. :D

NHN
Living on an island paradise, the Isle of Man - narrow gauge trains and motorbike racing!

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:02 pm

WOW! That does look smart.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:02 pm

that looks stunning! :D

New Haven Neil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Cheers

Post by New Haven Neil » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:07 pm

Thanks guys - a lot of fiddly work to do the lining, but worth it. Plates are on order, 'Doona', Manx for 'Dark Maiden'.

Living on an island paradise, the Isle of Man - narrow gauge trains and motorbike racing!

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:55 pm

Cor now that IS nice! :D

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:00 pm

Very nice. I have seen it written that Leader isn't quite so straightforward to fit RC in as some of the other Accucraft locos - how did you find it?
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

New Haven Neil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by New Haven Neil » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:19 pm

It's a handful to fit 2 channel, not for the faint hearted as none of the holes etc are pre drilled as in Edrig etc. I put an HS82 in the right side bunker for the reverser, the switch in the left, a Turnigy 555 under the footplate for the throttle (cut a slot in the footplate for throttle rod access) and planet 5 rx and rechargable cells under the 'ashpan'.

Takes a bit of doing, please don't try it unless you are competent at drilling holes and dremelling slots in your new loco!

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:22 pm

throttle
Is that similar to a regulator? :lol:

New Haven Neil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by New Haven Neil » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:38 pm

I mostly model American..... :lol:

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:44 pm

Thought it was an R/C thing........... :lol:

New Haven Neil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by New Haven Neil » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:57 pm

Nah, just transatlantic drift!

That's like thread drift..... :lol:

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:47 pm

Crayfish:47910 wrote:Hello everyone,

I have also just got my Accucraft Leader (in Maroon) and steamed it this weekend.  I've made a little video and uploaded it to Youtube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6bae-90OpE

My only other engine is a Mamod so this is a world of difference for me.  The gas burner on my Mamod will blow out at the slightest breeze which makes running it frustrating except on the stillest of days.

I love the Leader, it feels like a real piece of model engineering.  It also dwarfs my Mamod and all my other stock.  It's amazing how variable 16mm scale is.

I had one issue with the Leader, after a few minutes of being in steam the sight glass started to leak from the bottom.  I unbolted it and reset the rubber washer and all seems well now.  They are not the easiest bolts to get a spanner to so I hope it is fixed well now.

Am now considering options for lining it out.  Not sure whether to get transfers from locolines or invest in a lining pen.
Nice little video and doesn't it run nicely. Having seen it i'd say it's a better bet than a Roundhouse Bertie as it would cost more to get Bert up to this spec. lovely looking loco, I'd love one :D

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:13 am

I dont think Ive ever had that feeling Mines more guilt for the amount of money Ive spent...you spend more money on your stupid models than you do on me!! What do I get some Talyllyn tea towels for xmas! says the other half..

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:20 pm

I'm very tempted by a Leader. The reviews look good and isn't much more than a Bertie. Last week I had a little ride on the footplate of Melior at the Sittingbourne & Kemsley railway.
I saw Leader in the shed, still in bits but they hope to have her running by October time.
I like the blue livery but she was only in green and will be painted and possibly lined like a LMS maroon. She has been red/maroon since being privately owned, so either would be correct.
I think it could be a green one for me, just need to raise a few more pounds.

RSB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RSB » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:38 pm

Gremlin:54462 wrote:I'm very tempted by a Leader. The reviews look good and isn't much more than a Bertie. Last week I had a little ride on the footplate of Melior at the Sittingbourne & Kemsley railway.
I saw Leader in the shed, still in bits but they hope to have her running by October time.
I like the blue livery but she was only in green and will be painted and possibly lined like a LMS maroon. She has been red/maroon since being privately owned, so either would be correct.
I think it could be a green one for me, just need to raise a few more pounds.
Owning one of each I would defiantly say that the "Leader" is the better option, comes fitted with water level gauge as standard(although its an extra option for the Bertie), and of course has fully working valve gear apposed to slip eccentric reverse. Plus of course it is a fairly good representation of the full size "Leader" where as Bertie is a freelance design.

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:47 pm

Lucky soul having both and you are in a position to compare both.
I think I'm sold on Leader being of a protoype rather than freelance. Not too bothered by a slip eccentric as I'm happy to run manual, but that could change in the future.
Also more chance of a Bertie coming up secondhand if I still wanted one.
I quite fancy getting a lining pen and giving it the Bowaters treatment. Might need some practice before attacking a loco.