Monster Moves - Long Locomotive

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Monster Moves - Long Locomotive

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:13 pm

I first read about an SAR Class 15F No. 3007, built in Queens Park Works, North British Locomotive Company of Glasgow, in 1945, last year as it was due to arrive in Glasgow for the new 'Museum of Transport' - to be called the Riverside Museum.

Unfortunately due to my steam train travels I missed its moment of glory for 2 days whilst being displayed in George Square, Glasgow.

So I was excited to read that the Monster Moves series had done a programme on bringing this loco from Bloemfontein, South Africa to Glasgow, Scotland. It was stated that the episode was due for airing later in the year.

But I was annoyed to find that it was shown on Channel 5 on Tuesday 18 March 2008, when I was working in a part of the country that does not get Channel 5 - Inverness.

Visiting my father just after that date, he stated that he had video'd this programme. However a look through his video recordings failed to find it. It was great news from him yesterday that he had found the programme, and I've transferred it onto my DVD recorder.

A very good & informative episode, detailing all the stumbling blocks that they had to overcome. And it has a very interesting theme song as well.

Looking forward to seeing this loco on display in the new museum, as I've managed to travel on & photograph charter trains in South Africa being pulled by restored 15Fs.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:48 pm

We don't get FIVE, but I did see a clip on Harry Hill.
Sounds very interesting.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:44 am

I saw it, had a enjoyable watch there seeing as I dont watch TV much. It was a interesting to see how they got held up for example the minor things like the semi parked on the dock line, where they had to shove it out the way (lol, if i were the train driver, I'd have rammed it ROFL). Very good, if anyone missed it, I recommend seeing it if its ever on again.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:35 am

It was a brilliant programme!
:D