The SpringSide Light Railway. Co

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
MamodFan
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

The SpringSide Light Railway. Co

Post by MamodFan » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:50 pm

Hello fellow forumers, I thought id post a Strange back story that i though of today for my railway, Hoe you like it :)
Click to download file
Thanks

Callum Of The Springside Light Railway

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:14 pm

I can download it but can't open it :?

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:47 pm

You need a reasonably new version of Word - I think there's an add-on that enables you to open .docx fires.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:07 pm

Ahh that would be why I can't read it. its the steam computer I use.

MamodFan
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: I can download it but can't open it :?

Post by MamodFan » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:27 pm

Sir Clothem Cap:45851 wrote:I can download it but can't open it :?
Would you like me to just post the text as a repy to this post? :)
Thanks

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:30 pm

Yes Please :D

MamodFan
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by MamodFan » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:09 pm

Sorry for the wait, Here it is...
The SpringSide Light Railway. Co was formed in 1970 when plans were put forward to build a 2 Foot gauge Miniature railway. Work on the line began in August 1970, From “SpringSide Lake” all the way to “Fareburn Abbey” Via request stop “Falham”, a full length of 3 miles. After just over a year the track work was completed in November 1971 and the loco, “John Phillips” (named after the town mayor at the time) was an 0-4-0 saddle tank, and it ran over the rails for the first time in January 1972, pulling an estimated (over 7 days) 1500 people!
The railway ran quite happily for taking regular passengers up the line, be it regular commuters or tourist on holiday, A second loco was purchased for track maintenance in 1973, a diesel 0-4-0 named “Barry” was painted in green, and on occasion did the odd passenger service.
The line was running perfectly until June 1980, when there should have been heaving amounts of passengers, there were very little. Due to the high prices of keeping the loco’s and stock running, the railway cried out for volunteer’s to save the railway, but this wasn’t enough, on January the 10th January 1981, the railway ran its last train.
Being the only one of its kind, “Barry” was sold to the national railway museum in York. Unfortunately “John Phillips” was sold for scrap.
In 2005, a group of enthusiastic railwaymen joined together to preserve the line once more, it took an estimated £250,000 to complete, but in January 2011, the railway was finished and in may 2011, the first trip of the line since 1981 was complete, The loco once used on the line, “Barry” had be bought back by a local business man and was donated to the line, 4 of the coaches had been restored to their former glory, and 1 steam engine had been purchased from a place called “frizinghall” Named “MALCOLM” It was re-numbered No.1 after the lost engine “John Phillips”.

:)
Thanks