Gravity train

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Tony Bird » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:40 pm

Hi,
I will motorise one as i don't have my own line and people won't be too happy if I start 'playing' during a steamup. Putting a motor in will allow it to keep running round. It'll be something to use in between steam, in particular at bressingham when it is good to keep something going for the public.

I have just been working on my portable layout for a show in a couple of weeks time. Batteries had to be fitted to a Cooper Craft State Wagon that was motorised some years ago. The attached photographs might help you if you decide to do similar. If it was done again I think a Binnie wagon would be better as it is more robust.

A test of the train was videoed this morning.

Bronwen the 'Brake Person' is on the way to Port Madoc to do some shopping so is wearing her Sunday best!

Regards Tony.

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:27 pm

Most excellent, the horse is probably enjoying the ride. 8)

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:49 pm

Tony, thats excellent! :D thanks for sharing that with us! im definatley going to have to do that now! and its something that is quite simple but very effective :D

Can i ask where you got the Dandy Waggon from or is it a Scratchbodge? and how do you make those loads?

Cheers

Tom

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:42 pm

Thanks for sharing that, it is definately what I am hoping to achieve. I'll add the page to my favourites so that when I come back round to the project I can refer to your design. I was also thinking of scratchbuilding a dandy wagon.

Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Tony Bird » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:21 am

Hi,
The Dandy Wagon was built using Cooper Craft bits and plastic card from a drawing in a FR book. The plastic horse, I think was once one of granddaughters toys. I often wonder which the horse prefered riding the train or pulling the empties back to the quarry.
The loads are wooden boxes painted grey and the slates picked out using a fine drawing pen then painted with matt clear varnish.
Regards Tony.

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:33 am

Tony Bird wrote:
The loads are wooden boxes painted  grey and the slates picked out using a fine drawing pen then painted with matt clear varnish.
Regards Tony.
WOW, they look stunning & I would never have guessed they were made like that. Really nice & another idea added to my want to try list. :D
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Tony Bird » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:36 am

Hello Again,
Forgot to mention. The gravity train will be running today on the Cardiff Model Engineering Society's GR.
www.cardiffmes.com
If anyone is in the area and would like to come and play, I will take some photographs.
Regards Tony.

Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Openday at the CMES GR

Post by Tony Bird » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:42 am

Hi,
Yesterday it was warm and sunny in the Principality's capital. The following photographs and videos were taken at the GR of the Cardiff Model Engineering Society's Mynydd Bychan 16MM railway and shows what can be done with 5 lengths of track and a lot of slate!

Regards Tony.

Tailpiece.

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:59 pm

Just completed the 10th wagon so around halfway there. I have decided to use wood for the slate loads, cut up into small slates. I haven't stuck them together yet and are bare wood but when painted should look quite good. I am planning to make castings to add to the other wagons. I will post pics when the computer decides it wants to upload them.

spooner
Fireman
Fireman

Post by spooner » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:52 pm

One idea Ive heared is to use card that comes shirts and such like for slates.

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:00 pm

The new longer train was given a test today behind quarry hunslet maid marain. In total there are now 10 wagons (probably about 10 more to go) , 11 if you include the imp models flat wagon that i used at the front today. I've realised that this train seems to be even more of a worthy investment than initially thought. In total I could use the wagons in 4 prototypical/semi prototypical trains. the first would be on it's own, as a gravity train. The second with the quarry hunslet, third with simplex mary ann that I intend to build at some point in the future, and with hunslet Lilla, in which I am 23rd in the queue for 21 locos being built so may or may not end up with one of those come stoneleigh next year. (Hopefully if I am very lucky! :D )

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:35 pm

taliesin001 wrote: and with hunslet Lilla, in which I am 23rd in the queue for 21 locos being built
Where are you getting her from???? :D

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:49 pm

locomotion??

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:29 pm

Roy wood is building a limited batch of 21 lillas with someone from swanage models. I'm not getting my hopes up yet though, two people have to drop out first and that's probably quite unlikely.