WHR Pickering brake

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
taliesin001
Driver
Driver

WHR Pickering brake

Post by taliesin001 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:17 pm

This seems like a good idea for my next project. It will allow me to have a complete prototypical train of the two carriages, allowing me to extend it when necesssary. I have just ordered the 7mm drawings book, which has this and a number of other drawings that will come useful for the next carriages. It will be in rainbow livery of course so is to be cream with maroon panelling, quite nice I think! If you want to see what it will look like here is a link to a train sim downloads page...

http://www.whrsoc.org.uk/WHRProject/msts.htm

I aim to build this for around £50 worth of bits like bogies, wheels, couplings, grab handles etc. And what am I going to pull these behind? Well! Since changing my mind about which loco to buy next I have now decided on a roundhouse russell, and I'm chopping the top off of course! (I will need a new gas tank though I think) Has anyone done this before? I'll start this project as soon as the drawings arrive and I have made the trip to get a few sheets of plywood.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Re: WHR Pickering brake

Post by TonyW » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:51 pm

taliesin001 wrote:... I have now decided on a roundhouse russell, and I'm chopping the top off of course!
While I like your idea, please do not under-estimate the size of this job. Chimney, dome and cab (including a replacement hinged roof)are the obvious areas that will need attention, and reducing the height of the safety valve/regulator turret will certainly be a challenge.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:22 am

Might be worth buying a lady ann boiler and chassis kit and building a russell from scratch as you WILL end up making a new body.

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:21 am

Sir haydn wrote:Might be worth buying a lady ann boiler and chassis kit and building a russell from scratch as you WILL end up making a new body.
Was thinking of just buying the russell chassis, we do have a boiler that is the right diameter and this would eliminate the problem of the safety valve. I haven't got all the money yet so I'll have to see. I am aware that this won't be a quick job at all but hopefully it will be something different in the end.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:15 am

Sounds like an interesting project, I look forward to seeing the carriage (which I hope you are doing before the loco! ;) as Tony and Matt have said be very carefull)
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:02 pm

yes the carriage will come before the loco. I won't be doing most of the loco, this will be up to my grandad! Although since he doesn't usually put on alot of the detail such as pipes etc then I will be doing this.

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:30 pm

I have drawn out one side of the coach. I usually make the side overlays first so this is what these will be. I have been having trouble finding out about liveries for these coaches. After emailing the carriage department on the welsh highland heritage railway I think I have a correct list of colours, even though there are some doubts about some carriages (I think this is because as they were all painted different colours one colour is hard to pick out from black and white photographs, for example light grey can look like yellow) Anyway, the coach will no longer be cream with dark red pannelling but yellow (I'll have to experiment with shades, i'm not having bright yellow!) with dark brown pannelling and lettering. I will post pics when I get a bit further along the build.

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:58 pm

A small amount of progress has been made over the past few days, both overlays and sides have been cut out and one side painted, although it needs a couple more coates. Once both sideas have been painted I will stick them together an begin the inside of each. The reason for why the bottom pice of beading is curved is because i cut the piece of wood too short, leaving the vertical piece off at the end, so I will have to make another piece.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us