Bachmann Lyn

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Bachmann Lyn

Post by MuzTrem » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:25 pm

Did I mention I've just bought one? 8)

Hopefully I'll give you some more info on her tomorrow, it's getting a bit late now...

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:29 pm

Very nice Murray, I maintain the railway that goes around the shop at the Welsh Highland Railway (P), and we've been promised one for there at somepoint in the future :) !

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:08 am

I hope you do, it's a beautiful bit of kit :D Only problem is that I'm not sure how I'm going to replace the Bachmann knuckle couplers, as the screw that holds them in place is blocked by the cowcatcher :?

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:08 pm

A few more photos have now been uploaded to the same collection.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:49 pm

Great engine those are. I wish I could have a Accucraft one, but, I may be able to afford one of em... BUT: are they reguageable? and is there enough space for battery pack?

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:49 pm

What, the accucraft one? ptlrcecil knows someone who owns a accucraft lyn. I've seen it, very pretty engine.
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:53 pm

Matt wrote:What, the accucraft one?  ptlrcecil knows someone who owns a accucraft lyn.  I've seen it, very pretty engine.
Nah, I one mean is the Bachman one...

I know a guy with a Accucraft... in black!

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:18 am

Nice 8)

I've got an article in an old Garden Rail about converting Lyn to battery power, so it is certainly possible. It's a conversion I'd actually quite like to try myself, but I expect it's one of those things I'll never get around to :roll: I gather people have also converted examples to 32mm as well, but I'm not sure how you'd go about doing it.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:39 am

MuzTrem wrote:Nice 8)

I've got an article in an old Garden Rail about converting Lyn to battery power, so it is certainly possible. It's a conversion I'd actually quite like to try myself, but I expect it's one of those things I'll never get around to :roll: I gather people have also converted examples to 32mm as well, but I'm not sure how you'd go about doing it.
Hmmm, I may have to look out for one then :D

johnsaintjim
New User
New User

Post by johnsaintjim » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:53 am

Hi all - first post on here.

I've just done a Bachmann Lyn conversion to battery. All the difficult bits aredescribed in pictures in my posts on GScaleMad at http://www.gscalemad.co.uk/forum/index. ... opic=11388

Hope you find it useful. :)

There's also a video of Lyn in action on my railway at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djg1XGg_1bU

It was earlier this winter and the track was still in its winter state (washed out ballast, etc) so don't be too hard on me! :roll:
Graham
Evensford and Midland Railway
British narrow gauge 45mm in the garden

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:56 am

Very good :D !
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:14 am

Ah, looks like there's no way of changing to 32 unless you get a new chassis... :(

johnsaintjim
New User
New User

Post by johnsaintjim » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:48 am

I agree - it would be a major rebuild. When I was looking for one and asking round, it became clear that the early Bachmann chassis used to strip gears due to some hot melt glue coming unstuck (mine doesn't have this rather strange method of holding the motor in place :D ).

Therefore you might just possibly find one as a box of bits as a project. The body is not bad at all, even if a bit flimsy in parts.
Graham

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:17 pm

mhlr wrote:Ah, looks like there's no way of changing to 32 unless you get a new chassis...  :(
But, while they are not the most reliable runners, it might be easy enough to put one of the many dead ones on a 32mm chassis.

The only question then should be are they to "scale" or did Bachmann follow LGB and stretch it here and there for 45mm gauge operation? Remember the G in G-Scale in german stands for "Gummi" afterall! :lol:
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:24 pm

Interesting, welcome to the forum Graham.

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:43 pm

Spule 4 wrote:"Gummi" afterall!
I always thought it stood for "garten"... :?

Anyway, thanks for those pictures johnsaintjim. The conversion does look a bit daunting now, maybe I will just leave her alone - my one seems to run OK so I perhaps it's best not to fix what ain't broke!

johnsaintjim
New User
New User

Post by johnsaintjim » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:00 am

Spule 4 wrote:
mhlr wrote:Ah, looks like there's no way of changing to 32 unless you get a new chassis...  :(
But, while they are not the most reliable runners, it might be easy enough to put one of the many dead ones on a 32mm chassis.

The only question then should be are they to "scale" or did Bachmann follow LGB and stretch it here and there for 45mm gauge operation?  Remember the G in G-Scale in german stands for "Gummi" afterall! :lol:
Good point.

For me, it only needs to "look right" on my railway but for others, it would matter a lot. A quick measure up from the 4mm drawing in Chris Leigh's L&B book shows Lyn was about 23' 6" over the buffer beams. My Bachmann Lyn is 320mm long, which looks like about 1:22.5. For 16mm scale, that would make it 376mm, so it's about 56mm short. Quite a bit too small if you want a scale train of L&B carriages.

Still looks a great little engine though :D
Graham

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:57 pm

Ay, she did look a bit small when I put her next to my Acccraft L&B wagon. But the MVR is not a rivet-counters' railway! ;)