Anyone had any bargains recently?

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:42 am

Only just picked up on this one - I'm not getting all notifications on the laptop! - WHAT A BARGAIN!!!!!!!

Shame I missed its debut last night at Butterley, but look forward to seeing it in the near future.
Colour scheme sorted out yet Matt?

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:56 pm

Im swapping the single acting cylinder for a double acting first. then new boiler, gas tank + burner. then black in penrhyn livery

SLRmidge

Post by SLRmidge » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:21 pm

Just 'won' off ebay : 5 Talyllyn slate wagons, 1 coal wagon, 2 Talyllyn vans, 2 Talyllyn coaches & 2 Glyn Valley wagons. Produced by Perfect World & all for £90... :D

SillyBilly

Post by SillyBilly » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:16 pm

That sounds like rather a good deal.

SLRmidge

Post by SLRmidge » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:01 pm

Not bad for £90 I think.... :D

Image

User avatar
90733
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:

Post by 90733 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:30 pm

SLRmidge wrote:Not bad for £90 I think.... :D

Image
I agree, very nice, you aren't half having some bargains recently :D
Thanks
Jack

User avatar
TonyW
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1357
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: North Wales
Contact:

Post by TonyW » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:38 pm

I contacted Nigel Town for some clarification on the brass boiler issue, as it is something that concerns me. This is what he said:

****
Brass is a problem to us I agree. My Archangel L&B engine started life with a brass boiler.

The boiler test code which we operate to (i.e. that of our insurers) prescribes the testing of copper and steel boilers. Boilers operating below the threshold (3 bar litres) are exempted from the requirements of the code. The recommendation for boilers below the threshold is simply that the boilers are fitted with a safety valve and pressure gauge and that these are tested every twelve months.

I told (SirHadyn) that I was worried about a specfic brass boiler of unknown age and pedigree.

If you flick back through the Isibutu articles recently written by Keith B then he explains in there why brass cannot be used.

The re-test pressure is different to the initial test pressure, we are asked to test at 1.5 times relief pressure, for an inservice boiler. This means a 40 psi relief Roundhouse is tested at 60 psi, my Archangel was set at 60 psi and I tested that at 90. However as she's an old girl, I've dropped the pressure to 40 and the test to 60 but this is to relieve the wear on the cylinders and valve gear - not because of regulation.
****

I think that clarifies the situation nicely, with the 3 bar litres limit being the crucial information. A Lady Anne boiler holds about 350ml, and 40psi equates to 2.76 bar, so 0.35 x 2.76 = 0.97 bar litre, which is nowhere near 3 bar litres.

I shall continue to run my brass-boilered locos, but I will also continue to treat them with the utmost respect and ensure that they are fully drained at the end of each run.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:54 pm

SLRmidge wrote:Just 'won' off ebay : 5 Talyllyn slate wagons, 1 coal wagon, 2 Talyllyn vans, 2 Talyllyn coaches & 2 Glyn Valley wagons. Produced by Perfect World....
Or not as it turned out when I got a look at the slate waggons, they are Binnie Ffestiniog wooden slate waggons bodged to try and look like Talyllyn ones.... :lol:
The carriages arn't good either due to some amaterish assembly, too much glue used and some awefull cutting of strip wood.

Image
This is what one looks like after it was tidied up...

User avatar
90733
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:

Post by 90733 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:01 pm

Still not bad really, i like the corris brakevan, how much i want one :D :roll:
Thanks
Jack

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:49 am

At less than eight quid a piece, I still reckon that's a pretty good deal myself :D

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:08 pm

Oops, double post :oops:

Image

£30 off evilBay! (Luckily I don't have to take the puppy! :D )

User avatar
90733
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:

Post by 90733 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:11 pm

good bargain there :D
Thanks
Jack

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Shropshire, England

Post by mhlr » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:23 pm

I'll have the puppy if you aint!! :lol: I saw that on eBay and thought it would be a bargain, but didn't think it would suit my line. Good deal there Greg!
Image

SLRmidge

Post by SLRmidge » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:35 am

I was 'watching' the buildings...well done Greg.
By the way, the coaches I 'won' a few days ago have now altered somewhat ..............................


Image

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:31 am

Gorgeous!

I'm hoping to pick up a "Limping Lulu" at the Elsecar show to complete my TR 4 wheel rake (though I might try and get a Corris brakevan in the future) - whose crests have you used on those coaches?

I'm repainting the 2 ex-GVT coaches (not the Andel one) into Westwood & Loscoe livery, which as it happens, is not disimilar to the Talyllyn colour scheme!! (Same but black ends)

I still reckon that your bargain trumps mine, especially since I still have to arrange collection - lucky we're gigging in that part of the country fairly soon :D

SLRmidge

Post by SLRmidge » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:14 pm

Narrow Minded wrote:Gorgeous!

I'm hoping to pick up a "Limping Lulu" at the Elsecar show to complete my TR 4 wheel rake (though I might try and get a Corris brakevan in the future) - whose crests have you used on those coaches?
The crests are just from a scan from the cover of a book, shrunk & copied onto photo paper......

User avatar
90733
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:

Post by 90733 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:22 pm

WOW, very nice :D
Thanks
Jack

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:04 am

The crests are just from a scan from the cover of a book, shrunk & copied onto photo paper......
Now that's clever! :D

I never thought of doing that, and yet it's exactly what I did to put a rad badge on the Simplex - doh!

SLRmidge

Post by SLRmidge » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:04 pm

My two newly restored coaches 'in action' today......

Image

User avatar
90733
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:

Post by 90733 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:11 pm

Now your rubbing it in ;) Very nice non the less :D
Thanks
Jack

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests