Removing Mamod spectacle rings

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Removing Mamod spectacle rings

Post by Spule 4 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:47 am

All:

What is the best way to remove Mamod specacle rings without damaging them too badly?

Yes, it is paint time! :D
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:21 am

I'm not to sure. I've heard that what other people do is cover the rings up in tape or blue tack so you can paint it, without getting the paint on the rings. But I have no idea about how to remove them.
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:49 am

I found gently tapping the back of the spectacle rings with a block of wood (with the part over a suitable hole in another piece of wood), and then gently prising the raised ring with a flat surface seemed to work OK.

But I've yet to replace the ones I removed (loco needs to be repainted properly)!

Are you going to glaze them? There used to be an ebay seller who offered these glazings for Mamods, but not seen them for a while. I assume there were plastic as they were not recommended for meths burners.

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:33 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I wanted to make sure I did not crack them in the removal, so prying them was out. The woodblock idea sounds good.

As far as masking, I have to do some paint removal and priming before painting, so I fear damage during those two also.

I bought a used set of Mamod "tin" on eBay. I will be using this for my cosmetic "Mamodifications" and I can keep the original tin unmolested. Hopefully it will be here in a week or so.

The plans so far are for tank overlays (already bought the materials), maybe some sort of bunkers on top of the tanks, nameplates and either a shorter cab roof or no cab roof at all? (Thoughts?)

Also, I bought a small tin of paint..... :D ......we will see what the thoughts are on the color when all is said and done.
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:04 am

CCairns wrote: Are you going to glaze them? There used to be an ebay seller who offered these glazings for Mamods, but not seen them for a while. I assume there were plastic as they were not recommended for meths burners.
We tried them in pot boilers but since they were just perspex they melted. And then youve got blobs of molton perspex to clean of your paint work. Not fun.
http://www.freewebs.com/pinetreelightrailway/index.

Cecil your engines on Fire!

Its a Mamod it does that.