Word on the grapevine...

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:18 pm

Matt wrote:yeah, but the problem with 45mm is most of the track made for that gauge is made for G-scale, so it looks quite frankley rubbish when modeling on 16mm scale.
Peco do 45mm track. I have some. It looks nice. I've also seen plenty of cases where people have managed to make LGB track look good, with careful painting and ballasting... dont forget we are talking about 16mm/ ft track in a 12"/ft garden here anyway, a rail thats a few 16ths of an inch bigger than it should be and sleepers that are a bit close together are the least of our worries. That said I fully agree that peco 32mm looks far nicer than LGB.

I for one am pleased that they are on the "45"- a) 'cos it's right- they are 3ft gauge prototypes after all and b) 'cos that's what I've got :lol:

The IoM stock looks just right on peco 45mm gauge track.
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:10 pm

The Marklin track isn't too bad looking either.

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:56 pm

Fair point, I'd totally forgotten about that.

Must admit I'd like something a little better looking than LGB stuff for my indoor layout when (if) I get round to making a start, must have a look at the Marklin stuff.

A lot of the anti- LGB stuff is based on the radius 1 curves and points- the rails are far too chunky for such a small radius. The larger radius points look a lot better, but of course are huge!
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:00 pm

It may take up more space, but I'd still reccomend avoiding 1st radius curves and points if at all possible. We used a number on the MVR and this has proved to be a mistake, becuase

a. the longer vehicles struggle to neogitate them, and
b. long, heavy trains are quite prone to derailment on them.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:52 pm

Accucraft have posted a few more details about the live steam and electric Mannin on their website
http://www.accucraft.uk.com/news/item?id=30
Look at the potential price for the live steam one!!! :shock:
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:54 pm

Might as well buy a RoundHouse engine ;) :lol:
A steam propelled life-style.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:58 pm

That's is going to take some restraining to not buy one at that price :shock: even if it is 45mm! If only it was Mona in Ailsa green!

grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Post by grumpfuttock » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:26 pm

Endless, Nameless wrote:I've heard that it's official that we have a live steam Mannin and a Cale to look forward to :D
Yes, but only if orders exceed 50 for each loco, to justify producing a batch, they will be limited edition. Best to let your dealer know if you want one of them, so that they know how big the interest is.
John.

"I am not an armchair modeller, I have a garden railway, so I am a deckchair modeller."

http://www.tumblydowncottage.dk

MTA

Post by MTA » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:43 am

SillyBilly wrote:That's is going to take some restraining to not buy one at that price :shock: even if it is 45mm! If only it was Mona in Ailsa green!
Or 'Hutchinson' in deep blue :toothy8:

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:35 pm

In responce to an earlier comment about marklin track:
I too am a 45miller, I use old gauge 1 track which is really of a too fine scale for 16mm gauge however works perfectly with accucraft, roundhouse, Andel, IP and many other brands exept LGB stuff which the flanges are too big! I am currently working on hinding the stupid amount of sleepers with balast so it will look OK!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:34 am

MTA wrote:
SillyBilly wrote:That's is going to take some restraining to not buy one at that price :shock: even if it is 45mm! If only it was Mona in Ailsa green!
Or 'Hutchinson' in deep blue :toothy8:
Talk like that is liable to get you lynched by the Fraggle Rock Mob! Painting Hutch blue was not a popular decision it seems, although I really like it!

News from John at Track-Shack, as posted on G scale central:

Cale is due late this year, probably in time for Christmas- same livery options as the 'leccy version.

Mannin has been pushed back to the same time next year, to give you some time to save up.

To please Will, Numbers 5 and 6- Mona and Peveril- are also being built. These are due sometime in the first half of 2011 and will be in Indian Red, although I suspect other liveries may follow if they are a success.

All the above are steam but there it seems likely that electric versions will also be produced.

Hopefully they will be very accurate models- with John being based on the IoM and having contact with several enthusiasts who are actively involved with the railway they have been able to take measurements and details from the actual engines. Being 45mm only they probably won't be as popular as The Earl & Countess, Lyn etc hence they'll probably cost a bit more- me assuming here, economies of scale and all that jazz.
Matt

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:49 pm

I have also heard mutterings, albeit not from an official source, that L&B fans might have something to look forwards to as well, although it'll be a while coming yet.
Matt

MTA

Post by MTA » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:15 pm

Endless, Nameless wrote:I have also heard mutterings, albeit not from an official source, that L&B fans might have something to look forwards to as well, although it'll be a while coming yet.
I've heard the same mutterings from a different source...

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:16 pm

Was yours any more official than mine? Dunno about you but I'm starting saving now- might be able to afford it in two years time :lol:
Matt

MTA

Post by MTA » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:00 pm

Endless, Nameless wrote:Was yours any more official than mine? Dunno about you but I'm starting saving now- might be able to afford it in two years time :lol:
Probably not :lol: It looks like it's going to be an expensive few years, what with a Lyn and possibly a Manning Wardle...

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:58 pm

A good few years though...

I need a Manning Wardle in my life.
Matt

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:25 pm

Same here.

I'm already saving up.
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.