Edrig
67%

Total votes: 15

South-Trethevy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Mamod vs Edrig

Post by South-Trethevy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:40 pm

I h8 the accucraft locomotive Edrig becuse they are too common.
i'd like 2 find out how many people prefer mamods too edrigs!
------------------
~Sam Brown~
------------------

Who put the Shovel there!!?!!

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:42 pm

Sorry, i had to say edrig as my mamod does my head in! It is so flamin unreliable! One day it will pull a decent length train for ages, others it won't pulll the skin off a rice puddin'! all the edrigs I have seen have run well consistently! That being said, I don't want an edrig! My sights are much higher!!!

South-Trethevy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by South-Trethevy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:44 pm

I still think MAmod rule!
but i c ur point
------------------
~Sam Brown~
------------------

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:44 pm

Sam, you are such a wierdo. You have not seen a Edrig in flesh, and its probably because you only have Mamods that you are doing this. Edrigs will win, simply because they are a better loco, because they have slip eccentric cylinders (not inefficient Mamod cylinders), internal GAS firing, regulator etc and more detailing. Thats why they are more expensive. But such good value, so they are "common".
Mamod locos are good little machines (and Im a owner), but why would you call them better than a Edrig!!!!?

South-Trethevy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by South-Trethevy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:46 pm

U say that but u have a buget in the + numrs
as i keep teling u my buget is -£10!
------------------
~Sam Brown~
------------------

MTA

Post by MTA » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:50 pm

This is a bit of an unfair contest to be honest.

A Mamod loco is a TOY steam engine, whereas an Edrig is a Live Steam engine with all the fineries that an engine should have (except a sight glass that is).

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:53 pm

As has been stated by other postings, this is an uneven vote as the 2 locos are miles apart in specification and performance.

I enjoy taking my Mamods apart to tinker, etc and of course you can get a few Mamods for the cost of one Edrig.

However I feel it is not an even casting so will not vote. Sorry.

South-Trethevy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by South-Trethevy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:53 pm

I like mamod cuz they're cute....
and on the box it sez ''THIS IS NOT A TOY''
edrig is too common i mean every 1 has 1 n i think ppl cd b more imaganietive with their choice of loco!
That's all i'm saying on the matter!
------------------
~Sam Brown~
------------------

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:53 pm

MTA wrote:This is a bit of an unfair contest to be honest.

A Mamod loco is a TOY steam engine, whereas an Edrig is a Live Steam engine with all the fineries that an engine should have (except a sight glass that is).
Exactly mate, I talk to Sam often on google talk, and he does not see reality, so I told him to do this poll and see what responses he will get.

South-Trethevy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by South-Trethevy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:54 pm

Edrig is a very common choice of loco. all i mean is ppl shd have abit more imagination in their loco selection!
also mamod is not a toy cuz it sez quite clearly on the box ''THIS IS NOT A TOY''
------------------
~Sam Brown~
------------------

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:58 pm

South-Trethevy wrote:Edrig is a very common choice of loco. all i mean is ppl shd have abit more imagination in their loco selection!
also mamod is not a toy cuz it sez quie clearly on the box ''THIS IS NOT A TOY''
Thats because your is a modern day MSS loco, that is based on the mamod. They have to do that for the EU toy safety sh** so they dont get sewed, the original Mamod was designed as a toy.
Anyway, how many Mamods are there on Garden Railways around the country. I BET YOU that theres more than Edrigs! (guys other than Sam, please back me up).

South-Trethevy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by South-Trethevy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:00 pm

Yeah but mamods are like the Quarry hunslet...
in their day they were the cheapest locomotive avalible for quarry use and there were millions (well not quite) of the little beasts.
Every1 has a fav QH, mamods/mss' are just the same (well in 16mm lines)
------------------
~Sam Brown~
------------------

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:05 pm

South-Trethevy wrote:Yeah but mamods are like the Quarry hunslet...
in their day they were the cheapest locomotive avalible for quarry use and there were millions (well not quite) of the little beasts.
Every1 has a fav QH, mamods/mss' are just the same (well in 16mm lines)
Get a life sam, how many people would go for a Edrig if they had the money? Certainly more than mamod, as they are 'proper' locos.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:07 pm

Really not sure of this one, I got a Caradoc because I wanted to see what accucraft were like, plus for the money I had at the time, getting something from roundhouse was out of my reach. Of course a caradoc is really a Edrig with a cab, so I paid an extra £130ish to get a cab on my engine. Hmmmmmm
Back on topic, I would say an Edrig is better on the basis that you are going to get something that is more powerful than a mamod, more refined than a mamod, is more likely to work than a mamod and from what i've read, is more easy to maintain and cosmetically improve than a mamod

South-Trethevy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by South-Trethevy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:10 pm

yeah but every mamod is differant,
a charector to make em special!
------------------
~Sam Brown~
------------------

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:13 pm

South-Trethevy wrote:yeah but every mamod is differant,
Oooh, your running out of excuses Sam!

South-Trethevy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by South-Trethevy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:18 pm

Ok then!
Give me a valid excuse as to why the Edrig is better....
(one u havent tryed 2 get past me on gmail!)
------------------
~Sam Brown~
------------------

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:31 pm

South-Trethevy wrote:Ok then!
Give me a valid excuse as to why the Edrig is better....
(one u havent tryed 2 get past me on gmail!)
Heres a piece I copied from one of my earlier posts:

Edrigs will win, simply because they are a better loco, because they have slip eccentric cylinders (not inefficient Mamod cylinders), internal GAS firing, regulator, proper lubricator, and more detailing all as standard!

(Oh, and it has adjustable gauge although that dont matter too much)

There u go!

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:43 pm

South-Trethevy wrote:yeah but every mamod is differant,
The only thing special about Mamods is especially aggrevating! The only agro I've had from Isabelle so far is the valve timming, which will be sorted prior to easter.
mhlr wrote:they have slip eccentric cylinders (not inefficient Mamod cylinders)
Though they are technically slip-eccentrics, they aren't really, as they have the valve block (controlled by reverser) like the block on the front of a mamod (apart from the accucraft one is better.

Like it has already been said they are two diffrent kettles of fish, but if you're willing to put your respect on the line over this subject, then you may aswell surender now, Edrig's will always be better than Mamods, sure mamods have charecter but that's only one point.

grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Post by grumpfuttock » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:08 am

Oh dear.. says I, entering the fray... sorry discussion :lol: .... ducking the flying monkey wrenches and spanners...

Uhm.... There was a time when the comment " everyone and his brother has a Mamod", was a very common one. The same has also been said of "Lady Ann", and now "Edrig" it seems.

One plus the Mamod has over "Edrig" is the WOW factor, like when one see's the performance of ptlrcecil's "worlds most powerful Mamod". I am pretty sure that the feeling of achievement he gets when he runs it and receives praise for his effort, far exceeds the pleasure I get from running a standard r-t-r loco, be it an "Edrig" or whatever.
Another plus, they are easy to tweak. There is no valve gear, and complicated valve timing to sort out, simple adjustment of the port faces will sort out any slight mismatch in the timing and help to increase performance.
I have no qualms about ripping a Mamod apart, modifying it and tinkering which is a fun activity, but I must admit to being loath to start tinkering with a r-t-r loco I have paid good money for. It's weird, but after a running session with a r-t-r loco which has performed perfectly, I am often left with the feeling that I got the most enjoyment from running my 2 Mamods. I miss the intensive tinkering :(

There seems to be a slight misunderstanding.  The "Edrig" loco does not have "slip eccentric cylinders", nor is it in any way operated by slip eccentrics. The RH "Millie" uses slip eccentrics. "Edrig" has piston valves controlled by normal eccentrics and uses a reversing valve. Slip eccentric steam engines need to have the driven axle manually turned in the direction it is required to revolve,  so as to engage the eccentric rod and set the valves in the correct position, in order to reverse the direction of the driven axle.
http://www.roundhouse-eng.com/ss04.htm.

Oops...there goes another flying spanner ...........................................................................................................ouch!!!
John.

"I am not an armchair modeller, I have a garden railway, so I am a deckchair modeller."

http://www.tumblydowncottage.dk