Should I bring back H.G.Butler?

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:48 am

OK, heres the most interesting part of the video, it is just under 7 mins long (originaly it was 24!), and it shows after some persistance, it decided it wanted to work:

Now, as well, this is what you would call:

A Major C*ckup!

As several things went wrong:

1. Only 2 of the 3 wicks on the meths burner wanted to light properly

2. The whistle decided to leak like someone who hasn't gone to the toilet after 50 cups of tea

3. I lost the screw thing that holds the meths burner to the loco! (Hence the pliyers under it!)

4. I Burnt myself, and I had 3 fires (Involving Meths spillages!)

5. I only got Britomart up to SV pressure ONCE! (over the 1/2 hour it was fired!)

6. The chassis only goes in forward (But I know why it does that, nut missing which I found later)

and there were other stuff as well that went wrong that I can't be bothered typing up! But overall there was a result as I got the chassis to work!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

So now I just need to apply a little bit more work and its done (I hope :roll: )

Psst, now I see why people can dislike mamods!

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:24 pm

After some time, I have heard that by bits for Britomart and H.G.Butler have arrived! :D

What i got were 2 6" meths wicks to replace the old ones
8A screw nut for meths burner
Piston Upgrade kit
Spare steam gaskets

I am also going home this weekend, so I am going to replace the meths wicks, and light up Birtomart on blocks, to see if she'll want to work, and if successful, H.G.Butler afterwards! :D

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:46 am

Nice work so far, keep at it!

I agree with what you said about running a Mamod after it's been standing. Whether that just applies to loco's I don't know, but my No.1 always plays up when she's been idle - then runs OK!
(Or did, until the piston fell apart!!!!)

Just accept the fact that you're never going to be at loose ends for something to do when you've got a Mamod loco. :toothy8:

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:05 pm

It's slowly coming on, even though the project is running almost a month late now! :roll: :roll:

and it doesn't help that Britomart decided to fail as well, making it twice the amount of work needed!

Hopefully with any luck I may be able to get everything solved this weekend!

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:23 pm

Well, today was the moment of truth, and I got all three locos out, and Britomart was fired on blocks first, and the whistle has blown, as it won't stop leaking, then H.G.Butler was fired, and ran, and ran beautifully! :D :D :D :D :D

The only reason why I was only able to run her on one boiler full of water, is cause I ran out of meths :| :?

Pics and vids to come soon!