Old vs. Young

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
TonyW
Driver
Driver

Old vs. Young

Post by TonyW » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:05 pm

I am 51 years old. I appreciate that the vast majority of forum members are much younger than I am.

I like to think that the knowledge and experience that I have gained in my 20+ years of 16mm scale modelling may be of use or interest, and so allow others to enjoy this wonderful hobby even more.

I do not contribute to many threads but I do read most of them. When I do contribute it is because I hope that I can give some background to the topic under discussion and give some advice that will help. If I have nothing to say then I do just that and say nothing.

My recent disagreement with Ashpan11 and, to a much lesser extent today with MethsSniffer (both of whom do not add their real name to their posts), have caused me to reconsider whether I actually want to contribute to, or even read, this forum any more.

So, I'll ask the question:
Do you want me here, or shall I just go and leave the kids to play trains?
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

MoelygestLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by MoelygestLR » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:19 pm

Well, I would like you here Tony, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, I can think of our chairman Will, Laalratty and many more will appriciate your contributions. I personally do, but of course you know that as we are friends off the forum.

Just because a few people have disagreed with you over the past few weeks doesnt to me mean you should leave. A major problem i feel with these arguments is that over the internet you cannot get your point across as well as you could face to face. This is usually how arguments are started, take ashpan for instance, I beleived he wanted to try and help and had only good intentions but because of the way he put his point accross over the internet where things like moods and expresions can not easily be shown we took what he was saying the wrong way (and rightly so, his c*ck up!)

I saw todays minor argument as another misunderstanding between parties, i could see which way both parties had read eachothers posts and i could also see the other way of reading it. I for one know that you were not saying he was stupid and was going to drink meths but it may have come accross as though you were talking to him when you were talking to everyone (maybe the younger ones on here!).

I say stick with it and contribute as you feel necessary, as you were doing.
Thanks,

Paul Wood
MGLR

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:35 pm

I don't want you to go!

I appreciate the contributions from our older, wiser, and (possibly) more sensible members. There tends to be a lot of dross posted (guilty as charged on occasion) and it's definitely good to have a balance. I certainly enjoy the more mature posts/ threads more.
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:36 pm

As I'm sure you know I have learnt a great deal from your knowledge of 16mm moddelling and workshop skills, I find the information you post just as valuable.

I don't think Ashpan clearly understood that there are two paths open in modelling, and that it's up to the individual which they choose, and he posted some unacceptable stuff which is why the posts were removed, I begun monitoring his posting and he decided to leave.

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:38 pm

Endless, Nameless wrote:I don't want you to go!

I appreciate the contributions from our older, wiser, and (possibly) more sensible members. There tends to be a lot of dross posted (guilty as charged on occasion) and it's definitely good to have a balance. I certainly enjoy the more mature posts/ threads more.
I totally agree

I am only in my mid teens, and I do also appriciate the older and more experienced (which isn't hard for me) and i have also seen things that have been a use and future posting may also help me with my gaining knowledge of 16mm.

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:49 pm

Don't let it put you off.
Everyones oppinion is always wanted. Its just some people should think before they post. I think you should stay. I read everyones posts with equal interest, wether they are amature or expert. Everyone can learn from what is posted here and I feel you are a valued contributer.

Matt

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:53 pm

DolwyddelanLightRail wrote:I am only in my mid teens, and I do also appreciate the older and more experienced (which isn't hard for me) and I have also seen things that have been a use and future posting may also help me with my gaining knowledge of 16mm.
Coming at this from the opposite direction, I appreciate the humour and fun that comes from the younger members of the Forum, which reminds me of the days when I started in this scale 20-odd years ago. Then, there was a lot less in the way of stuff to buy, kits were much more basic (and NO R-T-R) and if you couldn't get a kit, you built it yourself! People then had F-U-N but lately things have got a lot more serious and the lighter touch shown here is greatly appreciated here in deepest, darkest Derbyshire!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:57 pm

Coming at this from the opposite direction, I appreciate the humour and fun that comes from the younger members of the Forum, which reminds me of the days when I started in this scale 20-odd years ago. Then, there was a lot less in the way of stuff to buy, kits were much more basic (and NO R-T-R) and if you couldn't get a kit, you built it yourself! People then had F-U-N but lately things have got a lot more serious and the lighter touch shown here is greatly appreciated here in deepest, darkest Derbyshire!
Here Here,

This is a hobby! We enjoy it! :)

Merddin Emrys
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Merddin Emrys » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:10 pm

only 51! I remember that age just a few years ago :lol:
Please stay, as others have said on a forum the true meaning often does not come across very well! I don't think age difference matters at all to be honest, we have the same interest after all!
I have yet to see an internet forum without arguments, mostly over nothing (like the ashpan saga!)

MTA

Post by MTA » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:14 pm

Tony,

Everyone has a set to now and again, don't let it phase you.

I for one like reading your posts (quality over quantity is my theory), as I reckon you are the kind of guy who sees many ways to do one thing so would be best placed to give advice where needed.

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:16 pm

To be honest, it's not an age thing at all. On some other forums I've been on there have been instances of adults acting extremely immaturely. Conversely, while some of the youngsters on here are rather too childish for my liking, others come across as very mature indeed.

Swings and roundabouts!

I'll be on the helter- skelter then...
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:31 pm

Many thanks everybody for your support. I shall stay!

Brian: I remember those days and I like it to be fun now too, whether its Will's Mamod double-heading with my Garratt or watching the latest Gag Torton video (the rescue using the winch was brilliant!).

Will: There is no need for this to continue, so can you lock this thread please?
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:41 pm

Before Will locks it, just to say I greatly appreciate older member's help, and us younger members seriously lack skills and knoledge of engineering etc that used to be taught years ago, so with 'older' people who have these advantages, it's nice being able to learn from them. My grandfather was an excellent carpinter, and my other grandfather was an excellent craftsman too, but both of them died when I was very young, so I really lack people to learn the things I am interested in from.

I think it is good to have a mix of ages here, and for some of the member's who have "arguments", just join in or stay out of it, that's what I do often  :lol:  :lol:  Most of the time I find it very funny watching small squabbles.

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:21 pm

Don't go. I know how it must feel because my dad is 51(52 at the end of the month).

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:34 pm

TonyW wrote:Many thanks everybody for your support. I shall stay!
Fantastic is all I can say to that, and I echo what other have said
TonyW wrote:Will: There is no need for this to continue, so can you lock this thread please?
Will obviously hasn't had chance yet, but I will now
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."