The Difference between UK G1 & European GI ?

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
norsk
Cleaner
Cleaner

The Difference between UK G1 & European GI ?

Post by norsk » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:10 am

:D hello Fellow members,
Just a quick one on this occation
Please can someone answer a realatively easy question?

How big in real terms is the difference between UK G1 & European Gauge 1?

I have had a look at some Gauge & Scale charts and as far as I can see they will run on the same size track but the scale is slightly different..how much difference and would it be very noticable?

Your help very much appreciated..as I am looking to buy a Marklin G1 Glaskasten..and hoped it would run on >British G1 layout (eventually)

all the very Best
merry-Christmas
steve :reindeer:

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:24 am

Euro locos tend to be larger than UK ones due to our stupidly small loading gauge, so the fact that UK gauge 1 locos are built to a slightly larger scale isn't hugely noticeable. The Glastanken is rather small but I'm sure it'll look OK- after all, real locos came in lots of different sizes!
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

norsk
Cleaner
Cleaner

Many thanks for that

Post by norsk » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:13 pm

:D Am so pleased by you rcomments..knowwing my luck I would have bought it and found I could not run it or similar :shock:
so that^s brilliant

many thanks again

all the very best & A Very Merry Christmas!!

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:26 pm

Europe gauge 1 is 1:32 scale and British is 10mm to the foot scale.
You can run them togethor without much noticable difference though!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

norsk
Cleaner
Cleaner

Many thanks

Post by norsk » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:39 pm

:D That is yet more good news I am very pleased..hope all well with you..am still trying to find layout builder...will keep you informed
cheers steve

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:16 pm

I think the Glastanken is probably Marklin which I believe should be fine, but you need to be aware of potential issues with the rail profiles- most UK gauge 1 is fairly finescale and uses relatively low rail heights. Older models and some european stuff uses a much larger rail profile, i.e. the rails are taller and chunkier as are the wheels/ flanges. The two will often not run happily together, as either the finescale locos will fall off the chunky track, especially on pointwork, and the flanges of coarse scale models will run along the sleepers of finescale track. Just something to check, most modern detailed models should be absoloutely fine on Peco Gauge 1 track which is what I assume you are using. It's older or "retro" items that you would need to be wary of- especially anything made of tinplate!

All Gauge 1 uses a 45mm track gauge. British scale of 10mm/ ft is roughly 1/33 wheres continental gauge 1 is 1/32 so as you can see- very little difference! Locos and stock will be compatible (couplings being the only issue other than what I've mentioned above) as will buildings etc.
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

norsk
Cleaner
Cleaner

No layout built as yet?

Post by norsk » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:26 pm

:D many thanks for the most interesting additional information much appreciated.

I have no rail at this time am still searching for a builder...

All the very best Steve :santa: