Roundhouse locos on TV.

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:35 am

Yes that is exactly how my loco sight glass went, and it leaked in that condition. I also bought my SP2 which had an even worse melted sight glass but that was replaced before I even attempted to run it - screw on sight glass holder so really easy to replace.

I seem to be getting more of a run out of the IP burner compared with this 5 wick burner, but that one does need some new wicks as I've had to throw water over a loco trying to put out some meths fires recently! Need to be more careful with meths levels as the top of the wick tubes must be just below the top of the tank and so I get a spill over when filling right up.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:38 am

I've not had a sight glass go on me yet :lol:

Keep a 1 in my toolbox in case though ;)

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:11 pm

ACLR wrote:the IP one I have im lucky to get 5 mins of burn time
I had exactly the same problem, so I thought to myself, I'll cut down the wick holders, this made a world of diffrence.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:56 pm

I get a good long burn with my PPS one but shall see about the measurments of the the wick holders ;)

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

mamod sight glasses

Post by bungle80a » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:29 pm

With regard to blown mamod sight glasses, I have had a few over the last few years! However, a good idea is when they do go, don't rplace them with standard mamod loco sight glasses, get the traction engine sight glsses and round off the corners so they fit. They are thicker and will last longer!

Martyn

(Sourse: PTLRCecils Dad)

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:45 pm

Yes that is why I have suggested these ones to Graham in the past, and he is waiting for his order to arrive.

I'm still using the last of my loco ones and then will reshape the SP range sight glass (same as the TE1A & SR1A as well) to suit.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:52 pm

Ill have to try some SP glasses ;)

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:17 pm

You can get these little packs of Mamod spares that contain the Sight Glass plastic plus the oval washer (these are much better than using a thin 'O' ring as that allows the loco plastic glass to touch the boiler and get a oval shaped groove melted into the plastic which probably helps it fail earlier). There is a trader on ebay who offers these packs at the cheapest price - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %26fvi%3D1

However I experienced some difficulties with them as their PayPal account did not work and my 1st cheque was delayed in the post (they started an ebay dispute which was stopped when they received my 2nd cheque, followed by my 1st cheque!). And Graham has had some problems with them as well.

If you do not mind waiting (I ordered on 30/12/07 but no deliver date yet) then this is the cheapest place I've found online - http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1816_1_13368.html

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:37 pm

the site glas in my sl1k melted the other day and it was one of the thicker traction engine ones   :roll:
too much heat when the meths burner caught fire

MTA

Post by MTA » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:55 pm

Matt wrote:Whielst on the topic of safty, has anyone suffered a boiler explosion, like what happened to Peters engine in 'The Railway Children'?
A friend of mine had an Accucraft (or similar) Garratt. He was lighting up, opened the gas, and lit the burner. At that split second the gas somehow sucked the flame into the gas tank and BANG! £1000's of pounds down the drain :shock:

ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:22 pm

Is that why accucraft recalled all the gas tanks of the NG16 and a load of other engines?
http://www.freewebs.com/pinetreelightrailway/index.

Cecil your engines on Fire!

Its a Mamod it does that.