Swapping printers in Octoprint

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
Post Reply
User avatar
GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 703
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:34 pm
Location: Bundaberg QLD Australia
Contact:

Swapping printers in Octoprint

Post by GAP » Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:04 am

Just acquired a new Ender3V3 SE to replace my Ender3V2 and am wondering if I can just plug the new printer into the old printers raspberry pi or do I have to re program the pi to accept the new printer.
Both are made by Creality so should have the same or similar firmware.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

User avatar
GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 703
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:34 pm
Location: Bundaberg QLD Australia
Contact:

Re: Swapping printers in Octoprint

Post by GAP » Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:07 am

GAP wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:04 am Just acquired a new Ender3V3 SE to replace my Ender3V2 and am wondering if I can just plug the new printer into the old printers raspberry pi or do I have to re program the pi to accept the new printer.
Both are made by Creality so should have the same or similar firmware.
The answer to my question appears to be just plug it and start printing.
looks like the only thing I cannot do is rename the printer without reloading octoprint which is no problem at all.

I now have 2 Ender3 V3's happily printing a set of points.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

User avatar
philipy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5222
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: South Northants

Re: Swapping printers in Octoprint

Post by philipy » Fri Jul 12, 2024 8:08 am

GAP wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:07 am
GAP wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:04 am Just acquired a new Ender3V3 SE to replace my Ender3V2 and am wondering if I can just plug the new printer into the old printers raspberry pi or do I have to re program the pi to accept the new printer.
Both are made by Creality so should have the same or similar firmware.
The answer to my question appears to be just plug it and start printing.
looks like the only thing I cannot do is rename the printer without reloading octoprint which is no problem at all.

I now have 2 Ender3 V3's happily printing a set of points.
That's interesting Graeme, thanks for letting us know.
You imply that they are both working at the same time, so are they both plugged in to the same Pi at the same time?
Philip

User avatar
GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 703
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:34 pm
Location: Bundaberg QLD Australia
Contact:

Re: Swapping printers in Octoprint

Post by GAP » Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:36 pm

philipy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 8:08 am
GAP wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:07 am
GAP wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:04 am Just acquired a new Ender3V3 SE to replace my Ender3V2 and am wondering if I can just plug the new printer into the old printers raspberry pi or do I have to re program the pi to accept the new printer.
Both are made by Creality so should have the same or similar firmware.
The answer to my question appears to be just plug it and start printing.
looks like the only thing I cannot do is rename the printer without reloading octoprint which is no problem at all.

I now have 2 Ender3 V3's happily printing a set of points.
That's interesting Graeme, thanks for letting us know.
You imply that they are both working at the same time, so are they both plugged in to the same Pi at the same time?
No I am using separate pi's house in the one case.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests