Here's the land for the future railroad

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Bad Droid
Cleaner
Cleaner

Here's the land for the future railroad

Post by Bad Droid » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:33 am

I think there's enough space here. There's another 1/2 acre over that ridge on the left. Id love to get my hands on the 4 acres across our driveway, but I have enough work to do here.
20240319_140124.jpg
20240319_140124.jpg (4.81 MiB) Viewed 420 times

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Here's the land for the future railroad

Post by drewzero1 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:49 am

Such a beautiful place, if you're planning to model something like Santa Fe or Denver & Rio Grande you won't need to add much in the way of scenery! I love it in pictures and movies but as a lifelong midwesterner I couldn't take the heat.

Can't quite tell from the picture, is it level or is there a bit of a slope up to the house? With a wide open yard like that I would think the sky's the limit for track planning.

Bad Droid
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Bad Droid » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:12 am

drewzero1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:49 am Such a beautiful place, if you're planning to model something like Santa Fe or Denver & Rio Grande you won't need to add much in the way of scenery! I love it in pictures and movies but as a lifelong midwesterner I couldn't take the heat.

Can't quite tell from the picture, is it level or is there a bit of a slope up to the house? With a wide open yard like that I would think the sky's the limit for track planning.
Oh the heat ain't bad. Even when it's middle of the summer and hot during the day, it's dry, high elevation and drops into the 50's at night.
Yeah, there's a little elevation up to the house and for the line. Not much grade but my track plan, although constantly changing in my head, plan on a 1% grade over a 100', for the expansion route. It'll be in little pieces as time permits..

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:19 pm

It is at times like this, an aerial shot from a drone, would put the whole kit and caboodle into perspective.

An area like that, in our (wet) 'green and pleasant land' would turn into a jungle, in a single season. - I am guessing it is dry enough that the vegetation does not get out of hand easily?

Phil.P

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:38 pm

Phil.P wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:19 pm It is at times like this, an aerial shot from a drone, would put the whole kit and caboodle into perspective.

An area like that, in our (wet) 'green and pleasant land' would turn into a jungle, in a single season. - I am guessing it is dry enough that the vegetation does not get out of hand easily?

Phil.P
I suspect that is the natural state, as it is in most of the US Southwest. Unless irrigated, only the toughest plants survive.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:23 am

Certainly a nice, big blank canvas to work with. You have my envy. :thumbup:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Bad Droid
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Bad Droid » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:46 pm

drewzero1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:38 pm
Phil.P wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:19 pm It is at times like this, an aerial shot from a drone, would put the whole kit and caboodle into perspective.

Phil.P
I suspect that is the natural state, as it is in most of the US Southwest. Unless irrigated, only the toughest plants survive.
True. Lots of Mesquite and various cactus. There's even some tiny cacti that I want to incorporate around the line, I think it will scale nicely along the tracks.
I'm so far off from even thinking about starting, but getting the house looking much better on the inside at least. Started clearing outside, so many poor choices by the previous owner and so many weeds. I think in another month I'll be ready for recaulking/replacing and painting siding and what not.
We are on week 6 * correction, we were on week 5, week 6 starts tomorrow, April 14* I believe, but really starting to see improvements and moving along quicker than I expected.
Just have to keep pecking at it.
Oh and BTW, yesterday we got buzzed by a dark cloud of African Killer Honey Bees. Crazy, luckily they were moving their hive or something and didn't stop to ruin our day. I've never seen such a thing.
Last edited by Bad Droid on Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:10 am

I'll follow this with interest. Somewhat of a contrast to the conditions I'm facing in the NW of England. So far this year, rain, followed by rain, followed by even more rain.

I did find a rather sleepy wasp in the shed last week...... :? :lol:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:35 pm

Wow, that's something else! You guys sure seem to have scarier critters than we do up here, I think the freezing winter helps keep the bugs in check.

We had some hornets nesting in the downspout next to my railway construction site last summer. I had warned my 3YO son to stay away while I sprayed the nest, and now even months later he keeps asking nervously if there are any bees in the pipe. I don't think we'd do well dealing with killer bees or murder hornets or any of those other super-animals!

Bad Droid
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Bad Droid » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:53 pm

ge_rik wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:10 am I'll follow this with interest. Somewhat of a contrast to the conditions I'm facing in the NW of England. So far this year, rain, followed by rain, followed by even more rain.

I did find a rather sleepy wasp in the shed last week...... :? :lol:

Rik
I understand about the constant rain, I can't do that anymore. Before our years aboard the sailboat in the Keys, we lived in Oregon for almost 20 years. I don't mind rain once in a while but those months and months of it are pretty gloomy. No thanks!

drewzero1 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:35 pm Wow, that's something else! You guys sure seem to have scarier critters than we do up here, I think the freezing winter helps keep the bugs in check.

We had some hornets nesting in the downspout next to my railway construction site last summer. I had warned my 3YO son to stay away while I sprayed the nest, and now even months later he keeps asking nervously if there are any bees in the pipe. I don't think we'd do well dealing with killer bees or murder hornets or any of those other super-animals!
I had 2 more experiences with the bees. Another cloud of them went over my head a couple days ago, not as big as the first one. I'm not sure if they're moving hives or what. Pretty sure from the constant hum from neighboring property that there is a hive there, you can clearly hear it from the far corner were I took that picture. Not going to investigate any further.
Also, when I was hanging up some wasp traps in the trees out front, they showed up, buzzing all around me pollinating, there were no issues whatsoever. Now I have read that as long as you're not messing with or stumbling upon their hive, they act just like normal honey bees. But again, not going to investigate or push my luck on that theory.
Now for the ant hills... grumble grumble....