Photos Removal

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Photos Removal

Post by FWLR » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:19 am

This is kind of an Off Topic.

I would like to know if I removed my photos off my MacBook, (I have over 12000 photos and 500 videos) would removing them also remove them off the forum.

My MacBook is really old now, Vintage apparently, :lol :lol and is getting slow because they are taking up a lot of hard drive space on it. I have been told to take them off and I would see a vast improvement. I would obversely back them up to keep them for future use.

Any advice from you would be really welcoming and appreciated.. :thumbright: :thumbright:

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Photos Removal

Post by -steves- » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:39 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:19 am This is kind of an Off Topic.

I would like to know if I removed my photos off my MacBook, (I have over 12000 photos and 500 videos) would removing them also remove them off the forum.

My MacBook is really old now, Vintage apparently, :lol :lol and is getting slow because they are taking up a lot of hard drive space on it. I have been told to take them off and I would see a vast improvement. I would obversely back them up to keep them for future use.

Any advice from you would be really welcoming and appreciated.. :thumbright: :thumbright:
As long as you uploaded them and attached them as an attachment, then the are in the forum storage, so you can do what ever you need to with the originals. If you somehow linked them (as I once did) then like mine, they will be gone. It is very likely you used the "upload attachment" so you should have nothing to worry about, as I doubt you have your own web facing server. Make sense?
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:41 am

BTW, I am not sure if all your images and videos are stored online as I don't use Apple anything's so wouldn't have a clue, but you should ensure you have a backup of all those, be it on an extra hard disk or backed up online, or both. This is from someone that lost all their photos when two hard drives failed within minutes of each other.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:45 am

Should be fine, Rod! Once you've uploaded a photo to an attachment it's basically like making a copy that's stored on our site and shared from there, so what you do with the originals on your computer is up to you. I definitely recommend keeping a copy, but feel free to move them off your computer to an external drive or even delete them if you so desire.

Depending on your MacBook model, you may see a significant performance boost switching from a hard drive to an SSD if it doesn't have one already. My wife's 2012 MacBook Pro really perked up after that upgrade, anything involving disk access is night and day. Some 'vintage' MacBooks came with SSDs already though, like my 2013 MacBook Air.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:35 am

Thanks you both.

My MacBook Pro has SSD Drew and yes when I first got it, it was really really fast, but now it kind of works fine sometimes then it just gets ridiculously slow. I have Mackeeper for which has helped but it still gets overworked and it seems that my photos and videos are slowing it down.

So a clear out is needed, when I get a backup disc drive I will see if it works better and take it from there.