Little Wonder

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Little Wonder

Post by Old Man Aaron » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:34 am

Hell of a process. Always a pleasure to see how you do it.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:08 pm

Old Man Aaron wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:34 am Hell of a process. Always a pleasure to see how you do it.
:thumbright:

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:40 pm

Creating the straps is long winded - there is little room for error! The first one I made didn't quite work out - but it did enable me to fine tune the process - so that the second one worked.

So missing out the drilling and milling bit for the moment, the second one having its inside bored out to the final size, 16.24mm:
IMG_3654.jpeg
IMG_3654.jpeg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 766 times
You might just be able to see that the strap is just fitting inside the slots in the chuck jaws, and that is really useful to make sure it is held firmly without crushing it. I made a "go/no go" gauge to act as a dummy eccentric so that I could finish the bore to exact size without fitting it to the actual axle:
IMG_3656.jpeg
IMG_3656.jpeg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 766 times
The gauge is inserted fully - the next bit which is clear of the strap is the "no go" bit which should not go into the strap. Since all of the eccentrics are identical (16.18mm - or at least really close to that) it will work for all 8 straps. The first 2 straps:
IMG_3658.jpeg
IMG_3658.jpeg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 766 times
The one on the right is the first one and you can see that I milled the cutouts for bolts far too deep. I should have been able to spot that from the drawing but somehow couldn't really get my head around that bit - at least not until I had seen it in the flesh. The right hand one is the second, and that looks much better. The inside face which contacts the eccentric has been polished using a polishing cloth mounted in a Dremel and used carefully while the chuck was rotating backwards. It is a close sliding fit on the eccentric - and was easier to achieve than I had expected. The one good strap mounted on the eccentric:
IMG_3659.jpeg
IMG_3659.jpeg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 766 times
The key bits to get right are to mill the cutouts to the correct size, and then position the holes for the bolts centrally. There is little room for the holes to run out. It seems safer to tap the holes while it is 3mm wide, and then reduce the thickness of the strap to 2.5mm. I drilled the centre to 12mm diameter before cutting the strap in half and bolting it back together - because drilling it out when it was still one piece seemed to put less strain on the strap - and particularly the 10 BA bolts. I also found that gripping the strap in a vice with the centre line exactly lined up on the top of the vice jaws, and sawing with a junior hacksaw along the top of the vice was the easiest way to make that cut accurately. Not good for the jaws - but it worked.

Just another 7 to make.

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:56 pm

The first 4 eccentric straps are complete:
IMG_3663.jpeg
IMG_3663.jpeg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 558 times
They are a reasonably close fit on the eccentrics, but they do rotate - as in they will remain stationary when the axle rotates. I think they will be fine when they are run in. Of course having the eccentric rods attached and being connected to the rest of the valve gear will hold them in line and make it easier for them to rotate freely. I will have to line up the bolt heads when I finally fit them - or the corners of the heads will catch on the other straps.

Just another 4 of them to make, and I am making them together as one "batch". Outside diameter to size, bored out sufficiently to get the boring bar in, and the width reduced to 2.5mm:
IMG_3664.jpeg
IMG_3664.jpeg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 558 times
You can also see that I have scored guides to show where the pockets have to be milled out, and where they have to be cut in half.

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:24 pm

Milling the pockets for the bolt heads on the 5th strap:
IMG_3672.jpeg
IMG_3672.jpeg (2.82 MiB) Viewed 479 times
drilling the holes 1.4mm:
IMG_3667.jpeg
IMG_3667.jpeg (2.45 MiB) Viewed 479 times
and cutting it in half:
IMG_3668.jpeg
IMG_3668.jpeg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 479 times
four more tapped and fitted together ready to bore to final internal diameter:
IMG_3673.jpeg
IMG_3673.jpeg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 479 times
Soon be able to start on the eccentric strap rods to connect them to the expansion links.

Trevor