Wallingford Industrial Rail Ltd. 8 - 13 January 2024 - WIRL in the Workshop -Creating a point control panel - Part 1

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
Ianm
Cleaner
Cleaner

Wallingford Industrial Rail Ltd. 8 - 13 January 2024 - WIRL in the Workshop -Creating a point control panel - Part 1

Post by Ianm » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:38 pm

I decided it was going to be too cold for running trains in the garden last weekend, so I thought I would make a start on showing more details of what I have planned for the points control and mimic panel. I find it just too confusing to remember which switch on the LGB control boxes goes to which point, so a mimic board is essential.

The challenge, of course, is that the LGB point motors use am AC (18v) supply and momentary switches to set and reset the points; while the mimic panel will ideally use a DC (5v) supply to the LEDs. This video shows the design I have come up with, demonstrated on a breadboard and then replicated on purpose built PCB's of my own design. A big thank you to the guys at Modelling Electronics (https://www.modellingelectronics.co.uk/) who kindly looked at the conceptual design and made very constructive comments - or told me how to fix a flawed design if you prefer! They also provided the required components very expeditiously.

Based on the recommendations from Modelling Electronics - I laid out the circuit using the Fritzing software (https://blog.fritzing.org/2024/01/02/fritzing-1-0-2) and then exported the PCB layout as a Gerber file. I sent this to JLCPCB in China (https://www.pcbway.com/) who returned 5 panels of 9 PCB on each in 8 days. I could track the whole production and shipping process online. Great service and a very reasonable price.

I made up a couple of example cards to check the design works as shown in the video. I am sure there are more elegant ways to achieve what is shown here, but perhaps its useful. I am happy to share the details of the circuit board design and the components if anyone is interested. :thumbright:

Part 2 will try to create a sample control panel for the Pit Head Halt station and sidings as it is much less complex that Home Yard or the Storage Shed.

Comments and suggestions for improvements very welcome. :scratch:

Ian M
WIRL

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Wallingford Industrial Rail Ltd. 8 - 13 January 2024 - WIRL in the Workshop -Creating a point control panel - Part 1

Post by GAP » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:52 pm

That looks great waiting for the next installment.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Wallingford Industrial Rail Ltd. 8 - 13 January 2024 - WIRL in the Workshop -Creating a point control panel - Part 1

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:18 am

Ingenious. Full marks to Modelling Electronics for advising and supplying.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Ianm
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Ianm » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:58 pm

GAP wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:52 pm That looks great waiting for the next installment.
Thanks for the comment.

It might take a little while for the next instalment - SWMBO has some 12 inch to the foot things that apparently need to be done before we go to Malaysia to see our grandkids etc.

I may be able to get the Pit Head Halt box set up - I have been hunting in workshop and garage for an off cut of acrylic sheet to make the panel - it would be a shame to chop into a bigger piece when I know I have just the thing somewhere :dontknow:

Best
Ian M
WIRL

Ianm
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Ianm » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:05 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:18 am Ingenious. Full marks to Modelling Electronics for advising and supplying.

Rik
Hi Rik

I was/am very impressed with the chap (sorry, I don’t have his name to hand) who looked at the concept diagram, spent 30mins or so on the phone making really useful constructive comments that improved the design.

When I ordered the relays etc, he called straight back to explain he had a supply problem and it would be a few weeks before the relays would be available. No problem as we were going away anyway. Everything was waiting when we got back.

Excellent service and I will certainly use them again. :D
Ian M
WIRL