The Potters Orchid Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:04 pm

Did a wee walk video, my first and only attempt . It was at the end of the day, one glass of red in hand and chatted some drivel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-8QZaOeU_4
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:37 am

I thought it was a brilliant video Dazza, it's showing us the fantastic progress you have been making these last months our so, I know it's taken a lot longer than that mate. I love all the planting of the greenery, MAM has been doing a lot with them.

Can you ask or tell me how to get my own cacti to straighten up, these last few months, well since the beginning of this year, it's started to grow horizontally, I didn't what it to fall out of the pot completely, so I put some supports around it trying hopefully to get it to grow skywards again. I don't think it would survive outside in the UK, especially up here in the North West.

Sorry about the thread drift mate.

tempImage1VV3zL.gif
tempImage1VV3zL.gif (6.59 MiB) Viewed 3205 times

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:48 pm

Cactus topple, I have no idea but what you do is what I have done with some. Prop them up with a rock. They fall over and then send roots down. One could try and grow a muted sculpture cactus, but you need a bigger pot. In two weeks we have an invite weekend, stay tune for pics and videos.

FWLR wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:37 am I thought it was a brilliant video Dazza, it's showing us the fantastic progress you have been making these last months our so, I know it's taken a lot longer than that mate. I love all the planting of the greenery, MAM has been doing a lot with them.

Can you ask or tell me how to get my own cacti to straighten up, these last few months, well since the beginning of this year, it's started to grow horizontally, I didn't what it to fall out of the pot completely, so I put some supports around it trying hopefully to get it to grow skywards again. I don't think it would survive outside in the UK, especially up here in the North West.

Sorry about the thread drift mate.

tempImage1VV3zL.gif
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:11 am

Thanks Dazza, will look forward to your photos mate. :thumbright:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:27 pm

Gladdies, Captain Plod and MAM and fellow "Foamers and Dribblers" (Gricers) just knocked over a weekend of "When too much steam is just not enough" . 12 stayed over night, over 20 for the pizza feast. Running until Saturday midnight. (Bravo SLR Lamps)Beer and of course wine and lots of cheeses. Tom did the video which also captures the social fun of the weekend and evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC2XekDkb78

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:00 am

An absolute cavalcade of locos and stock! Some really impressive slow running, though I think the livestock needed to be rounded up and penned. ..... :lol:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:12 am

I did start to watch this earlier, but had to go out, just finished watching now and it's a brilliantly shot video. Some interesting rolling stock also.

Did I spot two figures stood by that building who look suspiciously like you and MAM Dazza.... :scratch:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:55 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:00 am An absolute cavalcade of locos and stock! Some really impressive slow running, though I think the livestock needed to be rounded up and penned. ..... :lol:

Rik
Typical Queensland, unfenced and live stock getting in the way.

"Slomo" goodness is the key to the realistic running with out resorting to a heavy dragging train flogging the loco and using up steam. What is the point of all the detail put on their locos if the loco scuttles about like an epileptic rat on amphetamines. This will spoil one's enjoyment of smelly cheeses and red wine while foaming and dribbling. (Gricing)

Captain Plod's Grey Slomo wagon was attached to many locos and the loco owners were impressed and the realisation embedded. Now all that has to happen is the Wilson mob get started on producing them again after Terry retired from making them.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:00 pm

FWLR wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:12 am I did start to watch this earlier, but had to go out, just finished watching now and it's a brilliantly shot video. Some interesting rolling stock also.

Did I spot two figures stood by that building who look suspiciously like you and MAM Dazza.... :scratch:
I will tell Tom that you liked he his video. He used simply his phone, he has not the $ for a fancy camera. He frequently makes videos of the Mary Valley Rattler. Tom is also a guard at the Mary Valley Rattler and I am tutoring him on steam. He is a good lad and he along with his siblings they are talented musicians,
and regular guards and OIC at the Rattler.
You saw correctly, it is us, shrunk to 16mm scale, some think the TARDIS that was about had something to do with this.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:07 pm

Two Bundy Fowlers on the evening goods, with George up on the back deck on Saxophone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZq-sOVm4Iw

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:05 am

Nice video Dazza, shame we don't get more night running videos don't you think. It seems after sundown the trains stop running for some reason mostly in our hobby. when I get my line finished I will have to get some night time running done me-thinks :thumbright:

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:18 am

It was great to finally meet you and MAM in person. A great weekend and I'm very much looking forward to the next one. Thanks again.

As an aside, That white momentum truck of mine weighed 500g - less than half the weight of my existing Innisfail-style zecar/slomo guard's van. Glued 300g more lead in the new truck yesterday, hopefully cramming in another 200g today, which should have it work as intended.

Took a few photos myself, then gave up - my camera's getting past it. Turns out the few I took came out (for once) incredibly well!
IMG_9884.JPG
IMG_9884.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 2857 times
IMG_9882.JPG
IMG_9882.JPG (1.46 MiB) Viewed 2857 times
IMG_9883.JPG
IMG_9883.JPG (1.52 MiB) Viewed 2857 times
Will be sure to bring more of that smoked cheese next time..
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:56 am

FWLR wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:05 am Nice video Dazza, shame we don't get more night running videos don't you think. It seems after sundown the trains stop running for some reason mostly in our hobby. when I get my line finished I will have to get some night time running done me-thinks :thumbright:
Yes, evening runs with a wee bit of artificial moonlight before and after dinner is simply nice fun.
Gives one time to finish off the bottle.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:01 am

Old Man Aaron wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:18 am It was great to finally meet you and MAM in person. A great weekend and I'm very much looking forward to the next one. Thanks again.

As an aside, That white momentum truck of mine weighed 500g - less than half the weight of my existing Innisfail-style zecar/slomo guard's van. Glued 300g more lead in the new truck yesterday, hopefully cramming in another 200g today, which should have it work as intended.

Took a few photos myself, then gave up - my camera's getting past it. Turns out the few I took came out (for once) incredibly well!
IMG_9884.JPGIMG_9882.JPGIMG_9883.JPG

Will be sure to bring more of that smoked cheese next time..

MAM and I are most pleased you enjoyed the weekend. Christmas to new year will be run days etc. Most likely not the big production with so many here. More informal runs.
Let us know how the momentum projects work out
Nice pictures. Nothing wrong with these.
Smoked cheeses , yes please
Take care till we see you again soon.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:34 pm

MAM (POR head horticulturist) and Plod (POR navvy & general all round moaner) made the pilgrimage to Nielsen's Nursery Sat morn. This was followed by 8 hours of Plod moaning about in the garden but the last few hours he had a glass of Red in hand which may or may not entertain the neighbours? A dwarf Baeckea at Cutting Mawr crooked it (maybe too much water) and so two new Baeckeas were planted and some other thing whose name Plod has forgotten. (he is not the sharpest took in the shed) Cutting Mawr should look super in a year or two's time. Plod also planted some new cacti which he is always excited about. One he got has flowers that smell like Road Kill in the Aussie summer sun. MAM presented a pot to Plod and insisted it goes into this pot while muttering something about "after a whoof of it you cannot un smell it" More flowery stuff was also put about and then Plod spread some diluted worm juice here and there as he preaches to all in ear shot "good effing stuff this stuff is...." Today will see Plod in the Red Room Workshop working on the coalie. He wants to put a servo on the fire door and refit the water pump after he drilled the missing hole (dopey dill) in a banjo bolt for more steam testing in Dec.

Image Flickr

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:25 am

Are you sure one of them isn't a triffid? ..... :shock: :? : :lol:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube