Which Track Manufcturer to go with as of Sep 2023

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
fseider
New User
New User

Which Track Manufcturer to go with as of Sep 2023

Post by fseider » Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:05 am

OK, I know this topic has been beat to death, and everyone has their passions and opinions. Unfortunately, there is so much info out there and it is all hard to distill!

I am starting to work through a new G Gauge garden railway. (first time for outdoor and G, but with indoor N Scale experience) - Keeping it relatively simple, approximately 150 feet of track, possibly a very small number of switches (4?). My primary interest is modelling buildings, making rolling stock, etc (DIYer at heart). Ultra realism is not my goal - just to look good overall and be entertaining to kids and visitors; have fun with making bridges and trestles (I am handy in that regard). Roughly late 1800's era (modelling steam obviously), but I don't plan on being strict. Trains can go round and round for all I care. Most likely will just be going with sectional track only for the ease of it. Generally speaking, space is not an issue. I live in Eastern PA (USA).

That said, and based on the current set of available manufacture's and their track, I am looking for recommendation on which manufacturer to go with and stick with. I know they are all good, and I probably can't go really wrong with any I am sure, but based on today's level of quality and dependability, is there one in particular I should go with, or possibly avoid? Not looking for any battles here or 'religious' fights, just to understand the state of the art on track and their manufacturers as of Sep 2023.

Thanks in advance for any responses and info!

PS:
If this helps - In Pennsylvania here we get four equal seasons, give or take. My planned layout location will have 30% of track with full sun, 50% with mostly sun, and 20% with mostly shade.

Fred
Last edited by fseider on Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philipy

Re: Which Track Manufcturer to go with as of Sep 2023

Post by philipy » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:54 am

Hi Fred and welcome to active participation in the forum ( I see you've been a silent member for several years :D ).

Running on 32mm gauge track in the UK, I can't answer your query about 45mm track in the USA, I'm afraid. However I'm sure that some of our US members will be along with their thoughts shortly.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:45 am

From my perspective, most G Scale track systems are comparable, though I wasn't too impressed with Aristo turnouts. Their fittings seemed to rust quite quickly.

I've used a mix and match of track on the PLR - LGB, Piko, Trainline, Aristocraft and Tenmille. I've not had any problems with compatibility. Quite a lot of my track is secondhand so my advice is to go for whatever you can easily get your hands on and can afford.

Rik
PS I've not used Peco as its rail profile differs from the other manufacturers, so I can't comment on its efficacy
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:32 am

Hi Fred,
Don't know how much sun you get in Eastern PA, I have used AMS track down here in Melbourne and found it to have little to no UV resistance. I remember reading of some in USA complaining of the same thing. They may have fixed the problem (I doubt it) but just to give you a heads up. Mine has been out for 16 years now, and although holding together the sleepers (Ties to you guys) are deteriorating badly.
Grant.

Phila-Rich
New User
New User

Post by Phila-Rich » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:18 pm

This side of the state (Pa) receives quite a bit of sun.

Am, I missing something, I do not see Fred's question.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:50 pm

Phila-Rich wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:18 pm This side of the state (Pa) receives quite a bit of sun.

Am, I missing something, I do not see Fred's question.
Sorry. the post wasn't approved so most people couldn't see it, now fixed.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:50 pm

I use AMS track here in the UK, it's been down for about 6 years now and has no ill effects from our varied weather.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:33 am

If buying new, and you have the budget, look for stainless steel. - I am assuming you will be taking power from the track?

Much of the track we use in the UK, has been around for years. - 30-40 year old track, is quite common.
Most of it is brass, but a mix of brands.

You need to be aware of what 'code' the rail is. - Height of the rail-section in thousandths of an inch. The Peco track is a lot smaller / finer in profile.

You can mix and match between makes. There will be some variation in sleeper (tie) spacing and colour, but once it has been down awhile, and from a few feet away, you won't notice it.

Early Aristocraft track, was a blatant copy of the LGB offering. - Even down to the 'wood-grain on the ties!

Have fun, and post pictures!

Phil.P