Zillitertal on the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Zillitertal on the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway

Post by FWLR » Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:12 am

Anne and I travelled on her when we cut short our weekend away because if an issue with our Hotel. We only stopped one night, but has we had travelled to Montgomery we wanted to visit the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway. When was on our way to Llanfair and on our way the Google maps took us going through Welshpool, has we approached the roundabout leaving the town on our left to our surprise and astonishment was the station for the railway. So a quick about turn down a little round that had the line running through it and back to our visit. What a day we had, it was a Gala Day and there was loads to look at, far more than I can show on here honestly. I would have loved to take hundreds of photo's but that wasn't our intention on this trip. We just wanted to travel on the railway line and see what it was all about.

This is a little short bit of information about this Loco

The Zillertalbahn steam locomotives – “black beauties” from a bygone era
Two steam locomotives were put into operation to open the Zillertalbahn, locomotive type U, which is widespread in Austria, with the lovely-sounding names “Raimund” and “Zillerthal”, and heralded the age of steam in the Zillertal. Just two years later we added locomotive no. 3 “Tirol” to the stable, an improved composite variant of the type Uv. As unbelievable as this sounds, all the goods and passengers on the Zillertalbahn were initially pulled by these three locomotives alone!

All three locomotives exist today and are still owned by the Zillertal Verkehrsbetriebe AG. Locomotive no. 1, “Raimund” stands as a monument at the Jenbacher Museum to many Zillertalbahn steam locomotive enthusiasts as they enter Jenbach, locomotive no. 2 is currently on "holiday" in great britain, and locomotive no. 3, “Tirol”, is still operating on the Zillertalbahn after 119 years of service.

We can highly recommend a trip on the Welshpool & Llanfair and look at the history of this wonderful line, yes it's a little line, but it did take 55 minutes to get to the end of the line and it was well worth the money we felt.

Me in the original coach.

tempImagettEOiS.gif
tempImagettEOiS.gif (5.17 MiB) Viewed 2269 times

Sorry about that.... :lol :lol

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Zillitertal on the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway

Post by drewzero1 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:48 am

Great info and video Rod. I've been reading a bit about the history of the W&L and it's interesting to see some of the scenery along the line. (Plus it's a relaxing watch at the end of a long day!)