Major revamp of the Elderbury & District

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
philipy

Major revamp of the Elderbury & District

Post by philipy » Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:28 am

In a number of ways Mother Nature has been conspiring against my railway for several years and I'd even got to the point of seriously considering junking the whole lot. :?
There are a number of problems, but biggest one is trees, and specifically Ash trees, of which there are three big ones along the bottom of our garden. They weren't planted, they just grew from seeds and we have a constant battle in pulling up seedlings all over the garden, however I digress. The RH one of the three is the youngest and when I built the line it was clear of the raised trackbed. After a few years it had increased in girth to the point where it was pushing the trackbed out of alignment, so I altered things to clear it again. A couple of years later and the same thing had happened again and by the beginning of this year the trackbed was tilted by getting on for 45 degrees! So I took that section out whilst I made up my mind about the future. The middle tree of the three isn't causing any problems but the LH one is a major headache. By pure chance it sits right in the corner of the garden, against the fence on 2 sides. For a number of years one of our neighbours has been moaning about it shading his garden ( with some justification I have to admit!), then last year I noticed that it was pushing the fences out of vertical, and also there is an upwards bulge in the adjacent public footpath which is getting potentially dangerous.
Last week I called in a tree surgeon for some advice and whilst he was here and looking at them he dropped the bombshell that he thinks all of them are showing the first signs of Ash Dieback disease, which he said is fairly rampant in this area! His estimate is that all 3 will have to come down in about 5 years time. :shock:
Sooo... he said he could prune back the big one now to reduce its height and remove overhanging branches but in his view it wouldn't be worth it, given that he will have to take it down completely in a few years time. So we reluctantly decided to get him to take it down completely now. However, to do that, I will have to take out a fairly long section of the railway to allow them working access to the tree, which will mean I then have TWO 3metre gaps in the line.
So I said to SWMBO that I didn't know what to do and might rip it all up. To my surprise she said, "No don't do that, can't you just cut it short? What about taking down the old shed that you've always talked about doing?" . Just cutting it short doesn't really work, I'd just be left with a 10metre long siding! However there is a large Forsythia bush in just the right place to put a loop round - the straight track runs behind it at present and adding a 4ft radius loop goes round it nicely.
So thats what I've been doing for the last couple of weeks: Shed taken down and disposed of, a lot of vegetation trimmed back, the guttering on the end of the garage altered, holes dug for track supports, decking boards cut up and screwed together and roofing felt fixed to the top. So now I'm about ready to start tracklaying! :woo
That is of course why I was asking about sprung points in my other recent post.

This might make my ramblings a bit clearer!
Screenshot 2023-06-29 07.58.07.png
Screenshot 2023-06-29 07.58.07.png (76.64 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
DSC_0037.JPG
DSC_0037.JPG (359.6 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
Still a lot of tidying up to be done of course.

This is Phase 1, because of course I no longer have a continuous run - although in practice I haven't had one for several years because the track distortion made it impossible. However, Phase 2 involves some major civil engineering at the other end of the line and the plan is to raise Lower Bench station to the same level as the rest of the line and join it back on, to create a loop at that end as well. Watch this space, but not too closely!
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Major revamp of the Elderbury & District

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:03 am

That's a blow, Philip, though it might also prove to be a blessing in the long run.
Is the stream on the closed section or the retained section?
Be interested to see how it develops.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:19 am

ge_rik wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:03 am That's a blow, Philip, though it might also prove to be a blessing in the long run.
Is the stream on the closed section or the retained section?
Be interested to see how it develops.
No it's OK, the stream is on the retained section! :thumbright:

I think it will be a blessing in the long run, it's always been a 'mare trying to keep it leaf and debris free because it is/was so long and under trees and bushes virtually all the way round. This should reduce that burden significantly.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:37 am

Great idea Philip, trees are lovely to have in your garden, but not worth the risk of harm or damage to people or property. You will soon get used to the new space, and light, created and enjoy your hobby again.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:44 pm

It's always sad to lose trees, but I like your plan to run around the bush. I'm glad you've been able to work out a plan to restore the line to operation!

We have been losing ash trees left and right lately due to the emerald ash borer which is rampant in our area. We had to take down a big one a few years ago that had provided excellent shade in our patio area, and at the time our arborist mentioned that our neighbor's big ash was also on its way out-- now it's totally dead.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:14 pm

Hadn't heard of the emerald ash borer before, but I just looked it up and see that it is fairly recent arrival here. Yet another far-eastern import!
Philip

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:40 pm

It came into our area about 15 years ago, possibly on transported firewood... the effects have been devastating to the ash population. Dead trees all over town, in the farm fields, everywhere. It's been sad to spot the trees gradually balding year by year until they're completely gone.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:03 pm

Sorry about your trees, but very pleased to hear the railway's making a comeback.

I look forward to progress reports!

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:16 am

:yeahthat
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:22 am

Ok, the deafening clamour demanding progress reports cannot be ignored! :lol: :lol:

You may have seen my other thread regarding sprung points ( https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 83#p174283 ) so I won't go into that again here, except to say that I have now used fixed point blades and all trains will be going round the loop one way.
DSC_0036.JPG
DSC_0036.JPG (545.63 KiB) Viewed 3553 times
...and showing the track going round the loop.
DSC_0037.JPG
DSC_0037.JPG (530.66 KiB) Viewed 3553 times
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:30 am

Yes it is a neat solution

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:41 am

Just to prove that the fixed point actually works and because I know you lot like to see trains....

The two units have been fitted with twin magnet, magnetic couplings, which are clearly enough to hold these two together.
Philip

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:57 pm

Can't go wrong with simplicity. As an aside, those railmotors seem to run exceptionally smooth.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works