Micron RC - Deltang Rx replacement MR603a

Traders selling products and or services
PLEASE NOTE: Listing here does not imply recommendation or endorsement by the forum administrators
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Micron RC - Deltang Rx replacement MR603a

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:45 am

I've just heard from Andy Rutter that he is now in a position to market his MR603a receiver controller which is an almost direct replacement for Deltang Rx65 receivers.

http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/pro ... #mrc_mr603

I've just ordered three. Not had a chance to try them out as yet but will let you know. Sounds like a reason to build another loco..... :lol: :thumbright:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Re: Micron RC - Deltang Rx replacement MR603a

Post by philipy » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:06 am

Thats interesting Rik, thanks. By chance I was looking at them on his site this morning and wondering when they would actually be available.
Do let us know how you get on.
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:07 am

Yup, I have a dozen sitting here in my lap, time to start fitting them :thumbup:

First glance it's great, fixed some of the annoying this like an aerial that won't simply break off by looking at it. It's only initial downside is that it doesn't support a single cell li-ion battery, but I believe one is in the pipe line to fix that gap.

I will also report back :)
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:10 pm

-steves- wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:07 am It's only initial downside is that it doesn't support a single cell li-ion battery, but I believe one is in the pipe line to fix that gap.

I will also report back :)
Yes, I understand the MR601 will be 3volts upwards :)

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:42 pm

Jimmyb wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:10 pm Yes, I understand the MR601 will be 3volts upwards :)
2.5V according to the Micron site - I too was worried that the MR603 was setting a minimum for the Micron versions that was above what Deltang needed (the Rx65 only needs 3V - my enthusiasm for li-ion was initiated when I had to replace 2 NiMH AA cells with a 3.7 li-ion to get enough juice to be able to R/C a tiny HGLW loco). But the MR601 looks to be exactly what I'll need for future projects of this sort, I'm sure I'll be buying a few!

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:07 pm

Just a quick word of advice to anyone with an old transmitter unit. If your TX2 unit is running prior to v205 (don't ask me how to check as I have no idea) then you will be unlikely to bind your tx to these RX's, due to a previous issue on the old firmware of the TX2. Anything in the last 3-4 years should be ok. Apparently the old TX's can be upgraded to the latest firmware, but they have to go back to an authorised seller and then returned to DT who might eventually upgrade the firmware and you might get it back "sometime" at DT's will. I have been down this road a number of times and it's not a good road to be heading down. Even I am reluctant to send my spare TX module back as I have absolutely no idea how long it will be out of commission :( This does not just apply to these RX's, it apparently applies to anything that isn't Deltang

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:30 am

-steves- wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:07 pm Just a quick word of advice to anyone with an old transmitter unit. If your TX2 unit is running prior to v205 (don't ask me how to check as I have no idea) then you will be unlikely to bind your tx to these RX's, due to a previous issue on the old firmware of the TX2. Anything in the last 3-4 years should be ok. Apparently the old TX's can be upgraded to the latest firmware, but they have to go back to an authorised seller and then returned to DT who might eventually upgrade the firmware and you might get it back "sometime" at DT's will. I have been down this road a number of times and it's not a good road to be heading down. Even I am reluctant to send my spare TX module back as I have absolutely no idea how long it will be out of commission :( This does not just apply to these RX's, it apparently applies to anything that isn't Deltang
That's a bit of a blow! All my txs must be well over 3-4 years old. I have replaced a couple of Tx2s (those with a large capacitor onboard) in that time but I'm not sure if I used recent Tx2s or just used old stock 🙁

Rik
------------------------

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:48 am

ge_rik wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:30 am
-steves- wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:07 pm Just a quick word of advice to anyone with an old transmitter unit. If your TX2 unit is running prior to v205 (don't ask me how to check as I have no idea) then you will be unlikely to bind your tx to these RX's, due to a previous issue on the old firmware of the TX2. Anything in the last 3-4 years should be ok. Apparently the old TX's can be upgraded to the latest firmware, but they have to go back to an authorised seller and then returned to DT who might eventually upgrade the firmware and you might get it back "sometime" at DT's will. I have been down this road a number of times and it's not a good road to be heading down. Even I am reluctant to send my spare TX module back as I have absolutely no idea how long it will be out of commission :( This does not just apply to these RX's, it apparently applies to anything that isn't Deltang
That's a bit of a blow! All my txs must be well over 3-4 years old. I have replaced a couple of Tx2s (those with a large capacitor onboard) in that time but I'm not sure if I used recent Tx2s or just used old stock 🙁

Rik
Let me know how you get on either way please :thumbup:

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:15 am

Just to confirm, you can get the new firmware loaded onto any Deltang TX2 unit, even the old ones and they will then work as expected. :thumbup:

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:53 pm

Does the firmware issue apply to all TX2 transmitters I.e. TX22? I've purchased a micron RX expecting it to work with my TX22.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:06 pm

-steves- wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:15 am Just to confirm, you can get the new firmware loaded onto any Deltang TX2 unit, even the old ones and they will then work as expected. :thumbup:
At the risk of asking the obvious...
1) will they still work with 'old' Rx after updating the firmware??
2) do the TX's have to be sent back to Deltang for the upgrade?
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:35 pm

philipy wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:06 pm
-steves- wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:15 am Just to confirm, you can get the new firmware loaded onto any Deltang TX2 unit, even the old ones and they will then work as expected. :thumbup:
At the risk of asking the obvious...
1) will they still work with 'old' Rx after updating the firmware??
2) do the TX's have to be sent back to Deltang for the upgrade?
From Steve's earlier post, I think the answer to both is 'Yes'
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my Txs will be OK ..... just received notification that my Micron Rxs are in the post ..... :?

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:30 pm

ge_rik wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:35 pm
From Steve's earlier post, I think the answer to both is 'Yes'
That was my fear and why I asked. Only having one Tx, the thought of it disappearing into the Theuissen abyss for an unknown length of time, does not appeal!
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:46 pm

ge_rik wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:35 pm I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my Txs will be OK . ..... :?
Rik
Two of my six Txs are OK. Fortunately, one of the Txs is a Tx22, so I can bind the new Rxs to three of its channels.
I've contacted Andy to find out about the best option for the four non compatible Txs

Rik
------------------------

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:14 am

The 'fault' is within the code in the early-version Tx2's..

You can't tell if you have newer firmware, by looking for the large capacitor.

Where RC Trains Transmitters are concerned, I will swap the Tx2 modules 'from stock', and get removed units upgraded in rotation.
If your RC Trains transmitter, has a numbered sticker (located in the battery compartment) I do not believe it will be affected.

Phil Partridge
Phil@rctrains.co.uk

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:09 am

ge_rik wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:46 pm
Two of my six Txs are OK. Fortunately, one of the Txs is a Tx22, so I can bind the new Rxs to three of its channels.
I've contacted Andy to find out about the best option for the four non compatible Txs
Let us know what Andy says, please Rik.

I built my Tx22 from a kit which I got direct from Mr Deltang in, I think, 2015, so I'm guessing it won't work with these new rx from Micron.
Philip

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:48 am

You could be OK..

V2.06 firmware was released in June 2014..
Obviously, it depends how much stock both DT, and anyone building Transmitters had, at the time.

RC Trains only:
I expect this to possibly affect the RCT-Tx10 and RCT-Tx20 only. - I built these with a version of the Tx2 with vertical pins (my early models) these were 'the older-style' boards. It is difficult to know the revision of the code in these.

Phil.P

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:56 am

Thanks Phil. Fingers crossed!
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:23 pm

Andy has offered to send my affected Tx2s to DT for firmware updates. If it's not possible, he's offered to replace them at cost - which should give me a bit of a reduction.

Most of my Txs are pre-2014. I was an early adopter of Deltang equipment and so, whilst it meant I was able to develop knowledge and skills with the equipment, it does mean that my Txs are 'old stock'

Rik
------------------------

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:23 am

Phil.P wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:14 am If your RC Trains transmitter, has a numbered sticker (located in the battery compartment) I do not believe it will be affected.
Thanks Phil, this is useful. I don't have any of the new Rxs to test with (yet!) but I do have a sticker - 6 digits on a shiny background, right?