New loco from Mamod

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Big Jim

New loco from Mamod

Post by Big Jim » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:57 pm

New loco from Mamod:

https://www.facebook.com/36308671379591 ... 2332884345

I know it is a FB link but it can be viewed without being a member of the aforementioned site.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: New loco from Mamod

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:13 pm

The rivets do it for me!

I know, bad Tom but I just don't understand why anyone would pay today's prices for a Mamod.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:41 pm

Be interesting to see whether it measures up to a Brunel size or steamer size. I'll stick to my traction engine although I quite like tram engines.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:07 pm

Big Jim wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:57 pm New loco from Mamod:

https://www.facebook.com/36308671379591 ... 2332884345
When I first saw this I assumed it to be a steam loco, and I was interested. From the comments, it appears to be electric, now I'm not...
tom_tom_go wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:13 pm I know, bad Tom but I just don't understand why anyone would pay today's prices for a Mamod.
I had a look but couldn't see the price of this one...? But I'd be very tempted by a Boulton if I had the cash.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:19 am

If it's the same chassis as a Boulton, it'll be a good one. Hook it up with a repainted Newqida coach or scale-modded Upwell Wisbech coach...

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:18 pm

According to Mamod on Facebook the price is £580.
So... is this battery powered tram loco overpriced, or is (say) the Brunel* underpriced?
(*to take a not very random example, as one day I rather hope to get one and if it is then it's slipping away!)
Actually, I am genuinely a bit puzzled as at first sight it looks like there's rather less production involved in the more expensive item.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:29 am

I consider the tram to be considerably overpriced and the Brunel less so. No way would I pay almost £600 for a Mamod. I'd rather put my cash towards a new steamer.
Ian

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:21 am

The tram loco doesn't appeal to me personally but that's not really an issue of price.

It's an electric loco with radio control and sound. When commenting on the price (and there do seem to be a lot of negative comments on FB) shouldn't it be compared with models that also include R/C and sound?

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:15 pm

SimonWood wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:21 am It's an electric loco with radio control and sound. When commenting on the price (and there do seem to be a lot of negative comments on FB) shouldn't it be compared with models that also include R/C and sound?
A fair point, but if you were in the market for R/C and sound in a steam-outline battery loco, would you accept those visible rivets?

Personally it's not something I want either, but I can't help wondering if the sound will find itself being dropped and the R/C become an option in order to find the right spec/price point.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:22 pm

CSL wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:15 pm A fair point, but if you were in the market for R/C and sound in a steam-outline battery loco, would you accept those visible rivets?
Hard to say, since steam-outline battery is not my thing, and I am not overly fond of electronic sound! All I can be certain of is that if I had the £580 right now I'd spend it on a Bolton and some Deltang gear and put anything left over into a fund for my next steamer... :)

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:23 am

... And this morning the price has become £495...

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:59 pm

CSL wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:23 am ... And this morning the price has become £495...
Still too expensive for me.
Ian

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:44 pm

If the Mamod tram is to expensive, then maybe you should go look at the battery RC range from Roundhouse, Its just as much to way more than the Mamod tram depending on which model you chose from their range. Is it expenisve, yes, but so is most anything else brand new in model trains in every scale. I looked at cost for new rolling stock(USA prototype) and was shocked at what brand new items cost. And this was at street prices not MSRP. I like the tram and its on my possible list as I need/want a battery RC UK style model in 45mm gauge. I cannot get this from LGB(Yes I do my own battery conversions), the only thing close is the field railway diesels like their Deutz diesel loco. About the only thing else I know of out there is the Accucraft diesel in both early(plastic chassis) and newer metal chassis versions that I could convert to battery RC. Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

Someone
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Someone » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:06 pm

I personally think that's Daylight robbery, I could buy a Entire MSS live steam train set for 500£. Of course I end up paying 1000£ because of Import fees in my country but for most modellers the postage fees aren't too bad.

Maybe Mamod has been hanging around 00 gauge manufacturers too much. :lol: :lol:

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:18 pm

Guys, this thread is in danger of chasing itself up it's own tail!

The original posts are from 4 years ago, so the prices quoted have no relevance to now, especially since they were originally posted on that paragon of reliability called Faceache, ooops!... sorry.. Facebook.

Plus I'm no Mamod expert, but I'm not at all sure that the tram engine is still in production anyway?
Philip

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:22 pm

Not disagreeing with any of your other points Philip, but I'm pretty sure it is still in production - a member of our group just bought one. And confirming what I said 4 years ago, I have witnessed that it does indeed come with R/C and sound...!

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:27 am

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:10 pm

Jimmyb wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:27 am From the Mamod website:

https://www.mamod.co.uk/shop-categories ... zNtgRolt20
Thanks for sharing that link. I haven't visited Mamod's site since I purchased a Boulton back in 2017. I see it now comes with r/c for just over £600. Wasn't an option when I bought mine (I fitted Deltang later, myself) but the price was about £360. That seems like very expensive r/c to me on both the tram and Boulton, even allowing for increased material/labour costs!
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:42 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:10 pm Thanks for sharing that link. I haven't visited Mamod's site since I purchased a Boulton back in 2017. I see it now comes with r/c for just over £600. Wasn't an option when I bought mine (I fitted Deltang later, myself) but the price was about £360. That seems like very expensive r/c to me on both the tram and Boulton, even allowing for increased material/labour costs!
I bought my Boulton for £325 two years ago, and I'm very pleased with it. Seemed like good value then. The extra £280 it costs now includes sound and a remote as well as the RC receiver, plus inflation, but I agree I think they may have taken the opportunity to increase the mark up as well. Perhaps their initial price was too low, but if they are hiding the increase by withdrawing the bare loco, that's a shame because I imagine there are still people who might want that option. I fitted a Deltang receiver to mine but already had a remote and have no interest in sound, so I wouldn't buy what's on offer today.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:13 pm

SimonWood wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:42 am
I bought my Boulton for £325 two years ago, and I'm very pleased with it. Seemed like good value then. The extra £280 it costs now includes sound and a remote as well as the RC receiver, plus inflation, but I agree I think they may have taken the opportunity to increase the mark up as well. Perhaps their initial price was too low, but if they are hiding the increase by withdrawing the bare loco, that's a shame because I imagine there are still people who might want that option. I fitted a Deltang receiver to mine but already had a remote and have no interest in sound, so I wouldn't buy what's on offer today.
That's what I get for posting 'on the fly' from my phone :roll: I purchased in May 2018, and you're right, the cost was £325
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077