Generating a driver from photos

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
Scrat
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Generating a driver from photos

Post by Scrat » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:18 am

Hi,

as some of you know I have the German Reichsbahn class 132 diesel loco built by the late John Price.

A few years ago we had the idea of getting a 3d printed driver figure so John could sit in his own loco.
We took a set of 119 pictures of John wearing his Reichbahn uniform jacket and hat.
The idea was to use the top only and put that onto a generic sitting "back-end".
The supplier made lots of promises but got nothing done.
After some "persuasion" at least I got this set of photos.

Can anyone help?

philipy

Re: Generating a driver from photos

Post by philipy » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:34 am

A couple of years ago years I tried my hand at photogrametry (the construction of 3-d models from a set of 2d photo's) several times, using free software. I had very limited success but that may well have been due to the photography rather than the software.
Once the 3-d image has been constructed, it should be fairly simple to print ( famous last words!).

I'll give the photogrammetry a go if you like but absolutely no promises. :roll: If there are 119 piccy's you would have to let me have them via download link of some sort, because there will be too much for simple email or forum PM attachments.
Philip

3 minutes of fame
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Generating a driver from photos

Post by 3 minutes of fame » Fri May 26, 2023 5:34 pm

I know this is an old post I am dragging up, but I have some experimental software that create a 3D model from just a single photograph. If you are still looking for a model, please let me know, as it might be a fun thing to try.