Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:03 pm

ge_rik wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:11 pm Do the passengers sit astride the seat or back to back?

Rik
Fair question Rik.... I don't know! The only picture I have seen with riding passengers is that of a model with them sitting sideways, that might be correct?
The seat measures 18" wide (on my model) so astride might be very uncomfortable. On second thoughts, comfort was not the number one priority!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:32 pm

Hello again!

Just wondering, how do you go about creating the corner strapping on those little flat wagons? I've tried "L" section plastic strip, heating and bending plasticard, and using separate pieces joined with filler, but I don't think I've ever got them looking quite as "right" as yours do.

I was just pondering the matter in relation to a wagon I'm planning at the moment (hopefully the first of five or so WHR slate wagons), then realised I'd seen a very nice example this very evening!

Thanks,

Andrew

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:35 pm

Aaaaaaargh!!!! I'm being tested now. I will do some investigation into answering your question Andrew, but I don't have the item in front of me now. I will try to explain my methods by saying....
1. I work by instinct.
2. I am the world's worst teacher.
3. I simply can't remember.
Now you have raised the question I will try to work it out in case I need to do it again myself.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:26 am

Sorry Peter!

Although it would be interesting to know, don't go to too much trouble - I've just realised that the wagons I'm planning won't have room for that sort of strapping because they'd be in the way of the uprights...

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:22 pm

Apologies for the am-dram Andrew, you caught me out with that one.
Having now checked on the corner strapping on those particular wagons it seems I have managed to bend very thin plasticard around the gentle curved corners. I don't pre-heat so it was probably done during warmer weather?
Other wagons, with right-angle corners, have been done in a similar way but some show signs of cracking. Possibly prototypes would too?
I feel sure I have also used separate pieces which overlap at corners, but with gentle sanding and ample solvent most joints can be disguised.
Hope that helps.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:20 pm

How things have changed, and improved, over the years.
I have just received an unbuilt Brandbright kit bought on eBay, which appears to be complete and in good order. It is PS19, freelance panelled five compartment coach. I am surprised to see it is dated June 1993 and I have no previous experience of kits of that time due to my preference for scratch-building.
The first thing to note is the use of card-cut overlays in short sections, before laser-cutting no doubt! The plywood is chunky (3.5mm), compared to modern material, but of good quality. Instructions are basic, although every part is numbered in pencil on the pieces themselves.
I will try to build this according to its intended method as, at thirty years old, it is probably considered 'heritage' so shouldn't be compared to current models. For that reason I will not be making disparaging remarks but commenting on methods used at the time.... an interesting proposition.
The kit contents....
IMG_8770.JPG
IMG_8770.JPG (104.9 KiB) Viewed 3161 times

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:22 am

That's bringing back some memories! I built a carriage from that range in 1991, when I was 16, having purchased it with funds intended to pay for travel to and from post-GCSE work experience after a friend's mum offered to drive us there instead!

I didn't have the skills or experience to make a terribly good job of it back then - I struggled to hide the joins between the overlays, and it entered service with an unpainted shiny plastic roof... I've improved and repainted it a couple of times since, and it looks OK these days, but I'll probably sell it at some point, as it no longer sees any use.

Enjoy your trip back to the 90s!

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:17 pm

Interesting comments Andrew. I had wondered about disguising those joints too as my overlays are painted separately and attached after the main body is painted. Do you have any further advice and pictures please?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:54 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:17 pm Interesting comments Andrew. I had wondered about disguising those joints too as my overlays are painted separately and attached after the main body is painted. Do you have any further advice and pictures please?
Hi Peter,

I don't think I've got any pictures of it in its original guise - it was in West Kent Light Railway chocolate and cream livery back then, so I painted the overlays first, as you intend to do. In the last refurbishment it went into all over green, to run with my FR and WHR stock, although ironically it never did, because it was much higher than them and so looked all wrong. A "one colour" livery's much more forgiving, I think I was able to put right some earlier mistakes much more easily than if I'd retained the two-tone one.

As I recall, the cardboard overlays soaked up the paint quite nicely, which made then easier to work - it didn't scuff when sanded as you might expect untreated card to. I reckon you'll have to accept that there's going to be a certain amount of filling, sanding and careful touching up to do after the overlays are attached, don't think it can be avoided?

Sorry, that's not much help - I'm sure you'll get a good finish though... Good luck!

Andrew

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:50 pm

Despite my earlier comments about building the Brandbright kit as it was intended, that is using the original parts, I have come to the conclusion I would not make a satisfactory job by using the overlays as supplied. I have no doubt that a one colour finish would be successful as they could be applied. joints filled and sanded, sealed then painted, just as Andrew has suggested. My preference is to paint overlays separately and attach later, so to achieve that I have arranged for new overlays to be laser cut, problem solved!
However, I am working on another project which is a sort of free-lance articulated railbus, based very loosely on Irish practise. The main body sections are from Jerry Irwin, one 3 comp. 'Vicky' carriage and a cut-down 'Vicky' carriage with RR bonnet attached as the driver's cab....
IMG_8756.JPG
IMG_8756.JPG (106.08 KiB) Viewed 3005 times
IMG_8775.JPG
IMG_8775.JPG (98.36 KiB) Viewed 3005 times
A motor/gearbox unit from PDF Models fits nicely inside the cab and drives a single axle, which will be sufficient...
IMG_8779.JPG
IMG_8779.JPG (97.9 KiB) Viewed 3005 times
IMG_8778.JPG
IMG_8778.JPG (101.28 KiB) Viewed 3005 times
Together they look like this...
IMG_8780.JPG
IMG_8780.JPG (80.08 KiB) Viewed 3005 times

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:43 pm

That's going to be a very singular railbus! It looks amazing already. What sort of curves will it negotiate with that small gap between tractor and carriage? I'm looking forward to seeing this completed. :sunny: :thumbright:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Scrat
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Scrat » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:15 am

That´s the good thing about narrow gauge.
Build what you like, it surely has a prototype.

Fascinating railcar.
It seems to have an interesting backstory:
The workshop has taken the effort to replace motor and gearbox in order to get a shorter wheelbase instead of "just replacing the wheels".

I like these "built in our own backyard to suit our needs" style engines.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:52 pm

Thanks for the comments guys, I think I have teased and confused you just about enough now so more can be revealed...

I showed progress in advance of installing the forward pair of wheels underneath the wings of the bonnet assembly, so the cab will be a four wheeled vehicle, not just two as previously shown.... soon!
The separate vehicles must be flexible enough to allow for horizontal and vertical movement and slight tilt between them in order to stay on track. To achieve this I have fitted a 'Rose' bearing...
IMG_8792.JPG
IMG_8792.JPG (134.94 KiB) Viewed 2935 times

This gives the necessary movement in all directions....
IMG_8790.JPG
IMG_8790.JPG (92.53 KiB) Viewed 2935 times
IMG_8789.JPG
IMG_8789.JPG (89.8 KiB) Viewed 2935 times

The major difference to the earlier images is that the finished vehicle will look like this....

IMG_8788.JPG
IMG_8788.JPG (88.39 KiB) Viewed 2935 times
So, in answer to Lonsdaler's question about turning radius, it will be able to do this....
IMG_8787.JPG
IMG_8787.JPG (87.63 KiB) Viewed 2935 times
The only wheels will be on the two driving cabs with the carriage suspended from them. In order to maintain level working one cab has a flat surface which pivots and lifts, whilst the other end does all the twisting etc. to cope with track undulations...
IMG_8793.JPG
IMG_8793.JPG (92.06 KiB) Viewed 2935 times
I hope that make it all clear now, but I might not have explained the action too well as my engineering experience is minimal.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:28 pm

Another masterpiece, Peter. I like the way it's double ended ...

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:49 am

Oh wow! You show us a brilliant conversion and then double it. Can't wait to see this on the track. :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:19 pm

Peter, where did you source those wonderful bonnets and wheelarches from?

Thanks,
Phil.P

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:30 pm

Phil, I have had these for some years now waiting for inspiration to strike. They are moulded plastic and came from ebay (naturally) and were originally Rolls Royce open tourers built as radios, probably in the '70's? The rest of the bodywork was immediately discarded in the certain knowledge I could use them for something else, and after a long gestation period, I have.
In 2017 I made another railbus which incorporated almost identical bonnet and wheelarches, but having a different radiator.

IMG_5053.JPG
IMG_5053.JPG (162.49 KiB) Viewed 3300 times
IMG_5057.JPG
IMG_5057.JPG (143.9 KiB) Viewed 3300 times
I'm always on the lookout for quirky items which I can convert to railway use.... I really should get out more!

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:32 pm

Thank you Peter..

It looks like they are pretty common, though in the good-ol US of A?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264104157037

Phil.P

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:06 am

Hmmm...

Could make for a nice version of this, converted from RH&DR co-creator Captain Howey's own Rolls, which he apparently used to drive along the line at 60mph...

RHDR Rolls Royce.jpg
RHDR Rolls Royce.jpg (24.72 KiB) Viewed 3229 times

Lovely railcar by the way Peter, both original and believable - I'd love to see a film of it running when you've finished it, it'll look great snaking through pointwork...

Andrew.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:12 am

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:52 pm Thanks for the comments guys, I think I have teased and confused you just about enough now so more can be revealed...
This is fabulous. I love a railcar, and the quirkier the better. This is really maxing out the quirkiness! :thumbright: