A 'baby' Heisler

What is your latest project?
gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

A 'baby' Heisler

Post by gregh » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:59 am

This year rates up there as the worst of my life, but I have finally got some modelling enthusiasm back. So I started looking for a loco to build. I don’t need any more, but having a ‘project’ and a goal will help. So I got started.

I found this pic of a cute little Heisler type geared loco here: https://www.mylargescale.com/threads/m ... ler.90542/

I thought it could be built on a ‘diesel‘ motor block. (I don’t have any spare steam motor blocks but do prefer steam to diesel).
I ‘scaled’ the size of the loco from the sleeper spacing in the pic.
small heisler.jpg
small heisler.jpg (116.88 KiB) Viewed 6839 times

The USA Trains motor block I bought years ago, seems a pretty good fit for wheel dia (28mm) and axle spacing (95mm) and only 40mm high.
USAT  a.JPG
USAT a.JPG (60.47 KiB) Viewed 6839 times

As the pic shows, the motor extends above the plastic motor block by about 3mm.

I also had an old boiler discarded from some previous build, which seemed it could fit the bill.
bare boiler.jpg
bare boiler.jpg (224.33 KiB) Viewed 6839 times

So I started ‘sketching’ by ‘skewing the pic to give a side-on view. Then using Libre Office drawing function in their Writer program to overlay the various bits at scale.
I already have a number of small locos that are 240mm long so I decided to aim for this length again. This gave me the rough dimensions.
sml heisler2 skew crop.jpg
sml heisler2 skew crop.jpg (76.58 KiB) Viewed 6839 times

to be continued....
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A 'baby' Heisler

Post by ge_rik » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:32 pm

What a great looking loco you're using as your inspiration. Looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Rik
PS Glad to hear you've got your mojo back! :D
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:35 pm

It's worth building for the spark arrestor chimney for a start. It looks like a genie might pop out if conditions were favourable.

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:04 am

invicta280 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:35 pm It's worth building for the spark arrestor chimney for a start. It looks like a genie might pop out if conditions were favourable.
Yes, I think that was what convinced me to give it go. I still don't know how I'll make that shape. Might dust off the old wood lathe but I'm worried it might be too heavy. Or maybe I could cut a whole lot of annular rings from 2mm styrene, glue them together and finish off in the lathe.
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:20 am

part2
My first attempt put the baseplate on top of the motor block but that looked way too high, so I cut out a hole for the motor and lowered the baseplate by 10mm to be 38mm above rail.
I contact glued some 10x5mm timber under the 2mm styrene baseplate for the ‘frame’ and similarly glued some 10x10mm aluminium angle to the side of the motor block. This allows the base to be screwed (from beneath) to the motor block.
composite base.jpg
composite base.jpg (190.97 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
Note my painted spokes – more on that brain wave later.

Now I took the old boiler and cut it into 3 parts.(top left pic) By the time I was finished I think it would have been faster to start from scratch.
Because it was from a tank loco, the boiler was only a ‘half cylinder, so I had to fill the underside in. (bottom left)

But the major problem was that it rested on the motor but had to be attached to the baseplate, so I had to figure out how to support the cab end on the baseplate– After 3 attempts I finally used some timber disguised as ‘tool boxes’, which cantilever over the motor block. The boiler will be contact- glued to these. (top right).
The firebox is attached to the cab, not the boiler, so that it lifts off- see later.
composite boiler.jpg
composite boiler.jpg (253.4 KiB) Viewed 6771 times

Now I started thinking of where everything will fit and how to access to it.
I had two, 18650 LiIon cells lying around (from an old laptop). I tested them in series with the motor block and they gave 30 kph scale speed which I figured was fine for a Heisler. They will go in the boiler along with the Hobbyking 2.4GHz receiver. The bunker then has plenty of space for the ESC (speed controller) and my design of sound circuit and the reversing relay (more on this later). Plus the on/off switch and charging lugs (not shown)
elec parts captioned.jpg
elec parts captioned.jpg (334.48 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
Greg from downunder.

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:20 am

Greg, have you thought about the neck-sections, from a couple of small plastic bottles, for your spark-arrestor?
You could add a styrene disk, between the two, for added support.
I think people have used the 'pro-biotic' drink bottles, in the past..

Phil.P

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:57 am

Phil.P wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:20 am Greg, have you thought about the neck-sections, from a couple of small plastic bottles, for your spark-arrestor?

Phil.P
I'd forgotten that others had also used yakult tops. But I think they are a bit small for this monster. It is around 50mm diameter. I thought I'd found something - the bottles that cheap 'arts' craft acrylic paints come in. But they are only 40mm dia. Still looking.
Greg from downunder.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:09 pm

gregh wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:57 am
Phil.P wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:20 am Greg, have you thought about the neck-sections, from a couple of small plastic bottles, for your spark-arrestor?

Phil.P
I'd forgotten that others had also used yakult tops. But I think they are a bit small for this monster. It is around 50mm diameter. I thought I'd found something - the bottles that cheap 'arts' craft acrylic paints come in. But they are only 40mm dia. Still looking.
Plastic doorknobs for utility garden buildings (an old design, I think they used to be bakelite, but still available). About 50mm diameter too.
Z.jpg
Z.jpg (84.34 KiB) Viewed 6600 times
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:25 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:09 pm Plastic doorknobs for utility garden buildings (an old design, I think they used to be bakelite, but still available). About 50mm diameter too.
Z.jpg
:thumbup:

I do like the idea of repurposing everyday items. The domed smokebox door on my Southwold Manning Wardle started life as a castor.

Rik
------------------------

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:21 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:09 pm Plastic doorknobs for utility garden buildings (an old design, I think they used to be bakelite, but still available). About 50mm diameter too.
Z.jpg
Great suggestion. :thumbright: Will get to a hardware shop someday.
(until then, now how do I open my kitchen cupboards??? :roll:
Greg from downunder.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:04 am

gregh wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:21 am
Well, if you've got a spare spark arrester knocking about.....?
Philip

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:15 am

philipy wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:04 am
gregh wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:21 am
Well, if you've got a spare spark arrester knocking about.....?
Of course! I think there might be one in my train room... :lol:
Thanks Phil.
Greg from downunder.

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:16 pm

Progress continues slowly.

I had a cab from an old Bachmann Porter which was the right size so I used it.
The cab is not attached to the base and just lifts off to allow access to the batteries and Rx in the boiler.
cab.jpg
cab.jpg (105.23 KiB) Viewed 6410 times
Usually I like porthole windows, but I didn’t think they suited a Heisler, so I squared up the rear ones, but the front ones were too hard to get at for cutting.

Then all I had to do was make the bunker from some 2mm styrene. As usual, I covered the main styrene with 0.5mm styrene with the rivets embossed from behind.
The top with the logs, will lift off for access to the electronics. I cut ‘logs’ from balsa, but forgot to fit a water filler. Oh well, it must be under the logs.
The front wall of the bunker has the small, oval shaped speaker mounted facing into the cab, with a corresponding hole on the cab wall. I hope the volume is loud enough.

The on/off switch is a single pole mounted under the baseplate/cab.

The two charging studs are copper nails under the rear buffer beam. (I do not use sockets or 2-way switches for charging – just alligator clips on my chargers.)

The cylinders are cut from an old pen barrel, with steel washers epoxied to the ends.
The air pump came from bits of the same pen.

So lots of bits are awaiting painting when the humidity falls a bit.
bits and pieces 1.JPG
bits and pieces 1.JPG (739.32 KiB) Viewed 6410 times

Phil had brilliantly suggested plastic door knobs for the balloon shaped chimney. I went search my junk piles, sure that I had some, but didn’t find any. A search of the big hardware shop’s website turned up nothing. So I decided to turn it from wood. While looking for my hole saw, I found this…
door knob.jpg
door knob.jpg (113.67 KiB) Viewed 6410 times
I think it was a ‘handle’ from an old hammer drill. Anyhow, it’s a great start and close enough for size.

Here's the first mockup.
mockup2.jpg
mockup2.jpg (334.49 KiB) Viewed 6410 times
Greg from downunder.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:14 am

A brilliant example of keeping things which "may come in handy one day". :D
SWMBO can never understand why I say that!
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:23 am

philipy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:14 am A brilliant example of keeping things which "may come in handy one day". :D
SWMBO can never understand why I say that!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that. I see there are now TV programmes which get people to declutter their homes. No chance they would be welcome here. I'd spend the whole programme arguing why I should hold on to that box of wood offcuts or container full of secondhand screws.

Rik
PS BTW the loco is coming along really well, Greg :thumbup:
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:12 am

ge_rik wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:23 am ...container full of secondhand screws.
I keep mine in an old baby milk tin from 50 years ago... it came in handy> :lol:
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:16 am

ge_rik wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:23 am I see there are now TV programmes which get people to declutter their homes.
I'm told that there's one such programme where the ENTIRE contents of the subject's house are laid out in a warehouse, presumably to make them realise what a lot of unnecessary junk they have.

The presenter would be SO confused if they tried that here, and probably even more confused by my explanations...

Sorry for the thread-drift - it's a fascinating project which should result in a unique and attractive loco, I look forward to seeing further progress Greg!

All the best,

Andrew.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:42 pm

I think that knob will do the trick Greg, some suitable artwork with some isopon or similar and it can become a dead ringer :thumbup: is this kleptomania a side effect of modelling, do you think? :lol:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:00 am

Love it! :salute:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:38 am

philipy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:12 am I keep mine in an old baby milk tin from 50 years ago... it came in handy> :lol:
Me too!
I have a dozen of them for my nails too! plastic lids are perishing after 45 years, but the tins are great.
Greg from downunder.