Some Edrig modifications you may find worthwhile...

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Some Edrig modifications you may find worthwhile...

Post by mhlr » Sun May 17, 2009 10:13 pm

Well, for the past few days, my Edrig has been been scattered around my workbench, because I'm trying to fit a servo to the whistle, so I have got to make a bracket for it to fit between the lubricator and the boiler. I also have taken the burner out to take pictures for Sammmmmm (as I'm sending him mesh for his burner), and consequently, the badly attached connection on the end of the steam pipe at the firebox end had broken off when I clumsily knocked it off with the burner taking it out the flue. So I've had to remove bits to get that off, and order some silver solder to solder it back on...... ANYWAYS!!......

The first mod I added, is one of PTLR's chuff pipes. Damned good, best I've heard and makes my Edrig sound great under load.

Mesh from a rusty old frying pan slatter guard, wrapped around the burner, attached with wire. It works, and well!

A little something I did today, this is what you get when you break off the plastic cover on the gas reg knob.

So drill through it, and put some rod through it, add a touch of solder (or glue), and you got yourself a £0 gas reg knob. I will probably paint it red or something just to smarten it up.

Sammmm
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sammmm » Sun May 17, 2009 10:15 pm

looking very nice
Ta,

Sam :)

Dude where's my car!!.....Dude get a life!...Get swift cover 8)

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun May 17, 2009 10:34 pm

I someone else has done a gas knob like that but I can't remember who ;) . I think you should cut the disk off though even if it does leave a hole (car body filler?).

Gutted about the steam pipe, worse than my banjo bolt :P !

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sun May 17, 2009 10:41 pm

SillyBilly wrote:I someone else has done a gas knob like that but I can't remember who ;) . I think you should cut the disk off though even if it does leave a hole (car body filler?)
I was considering that, but the holes for the handles may be a bit close to the edge then... I may give it a go another time. And lots of people have done it before Will, so don't try and claim copyrights :lol: :lol:

MoelygestLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by MoelygestLR » Sun May 17, 2009 11:04 pm

I will be interested how you go with the whistle.
i am considering buying a DJB two tone whistle for my R/C lady anne and am wondering what is involved. I am not very good with the engineering side of locos, only running them. I would also be interested to know what is involved in the R/C side of things too. I think a R/C whistle adds a load of realism especially when doing those magical videos. it makes it that bit more special.

so please do let me know how you get on.
Thanks,

Paul Wood
MGLR

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Some Edrig modifications you may find worthwhile...

Post by bungle80a » Sun May 17, 2009 11:17 pm

mhlr wrote: The first mod I added, is one of PTLR's chuff pipes. Damned good, best I've heard and makes my Edrig sound great under load.
I can second those comments having just added one to my Lawley! Made by a great British Craftsman!

This may sound like a stupid question, but what is the mesh on the burner made from? I'm thinking of adding mesh to my Lawley's burner but dont wanna get mesh that isnt suitable!
Bungle80a

"Who has stolen the 3 link coupling off the end of my train?!?!

.....[a few minutes pass hunting down replacements].....

"So, which comedian has uncoupled my entire train?!?!"

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sun May 17, 2009 11:33 pm

Moelygest: My whistle is a DJB valve, connected to a homemade (DLRdan is an expert ;) ) whistle. The servo just connects to the valve arm in the cab.

Bungle80a: It's just steel mesh, you can get a tea sive thingy from Tesco for 0.79p apparently which is the correct stuff. Or just get your mate to make you a better burner :lol: :lol:

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Fri May 22, 2009 11:48 pm

Well, not as "worthwhile" as the other mods, because those are simple to perform... but this is what I've been up to tonight:

Made up and soldered on a lamp iron for my working lamp. Obviously I've painted it now. I am just concerned the lamp may get too hot there?

Then spent a fair while making my servo fit. I made up a bracket with some brass sheet, and it's held on by the lubricator so saves having to drill through the floor. It works ok, I need to work out a way of making the transmitter stick spring to the left (as it has to go left to far right so servo travels full swing to operate arm)... But for now its springless so I will have to make sure I shut it off.

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Fri May 22, 2009 11:56 pm

Luvvly Jubbly :lol: