Vale Of Rheidol Laser Short

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
pauly
Driver
Driver

Vale Of Rheidol Laser Short

Post by pauly » Sun May 10, 2009 9:18 pm

just finished my Vale Of Rheidol Laser Short
Matchboard Passenger Coach Kit by ip and its a great kit, really easy to build except for the damn plastic roofs they come with! Iv made to kits that comes with these roofs and each time Iv had to replace the with cards or something like that :evil:

it just wouldnt bend to the right curve and stay like that, if I used elastic bands strong enought to hold it down properley the glue holding the coach together would giveway :angry5:

tore it in frustration

and made a new 1 out of card

A steam propelled life-style.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun May 10, 2009 9:35 pm

looks alright to me :) Although what glue did you try to use for fixing the original roof? I found only a good quality superglue would do, epoxy didn't work at all on SLRmidge's V of R brake van
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun May 10, 2009 9:35 pm

Nice and different colour scheme.

Can't believe you don't like Plasticard, it's a great material that forms very easily, good tip is to glue the laser cut curved rib in the centre of the sheet rather than glue it straight to the coach.

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Sun May 10, 2009 9:38 pm

laalratty wrote:looks alright to me :) Although what glue did you try to use for fixing the original roof? I found only a good quality superglue would do, epoxy didn't work at all on SLRmidge's V of R brake van
I use serious glue, its what they use to repair washing machines with so it s very high standard glue, I use it for everything out side like buildings

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Sun May 10, 2009 9:40 pm

SillyBilly wrote:Nice and different colour scheme.

Can't believe you don't like Plasticard, it's a great material that forms very easily, good tip is to glue the laser cut curved rib in the centre of the sheet rather than glue it straight to the coach.
I didnt say I dont like it I just said that it wouldnt work for me so I improvised

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun May 10, 2009 9:50 pm

Ok, I just hope it doesn't rain when you're playing trains :lol: ;) .

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun May 10, 2009 9:51 pm

Don't worry - you're not the only one! I can use the plastic roofs on the critters (Ee Zee railcar, Rapier loco) but for coaches I use multiple strips of wood, taped together and glued, taped in place on the body, which makes a rigid, curved roof. Pictures when I do the next one...............
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Sun May 10, 2009 11:47 pm

nice one

i dont like plasticard roofs.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Mon May 11, 2009 12:14 am

I get on with plastikard fine. Use it a lot for roofing. Nice coach!

Mat P
New User
New User

Post by Mat P » Wed May 20, 2009 1:08 pm

(New Member writes!)

Hi,

I've also just built one of these coaches - the way I did the roof was to put a 10mm strip of 15 thou plasticard on top of each end and over the middle strut, then a complete roof of 15 thou on top of that. I then laminated the thicker plasticard as supplied in the kit onto the 15 thou, using a thin coating of UHU plus a few dabs of superglue. In order to do this I also needed to put a curve into the kit roof by bending it by hand until I had rolled it into a fairly right tube.

I once used this laminated method for the roof of a JD Models GVT coach and that roof has lasted 15 years without coming apart. Worth a try perhaps?

I also made the 15 thou pieces to the same length as the top of the plywood end piece, rather than to the full width of the coach. This helped fill the gap in the corners which is caused by the sides being the same height as the edges of the ends.

The solebars as supplied were not cut square and were of slightly different lengths (!?), so I junked them in favour of some 12mm square wood. However, I was able to use some of the solebar material to make a second inner buffer beam. The floor is only held onto the coach by the buffers, so that if I take them out the whole chassis comes away and I can get at the interior.

I am pleased with the resulting coach (even if it looks as though it was painted by Smurfs!) though some of the castings were rather rough and one wheelset is a tiny bit eccentric.

The second photo also features my PPS Janet, Portmeirion Village and Minffordd Jn. Railway No.6 (unofficial name Patrick, rather appropriately its No. 6 plates keep falling off). One thing in particular that made me buy the coach was its modest height, which fits in well with the rest of my stock.

Hope that's of interest to somebody!!!

Cheers,
Mat

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Wed May 20, 2009 3:33 pm

Nice coach and Loco :lol:

and yes you can see the coach is quite small.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Wed May 20, 2009 4:30 pm

Welcome to you.

Lovely paint finish and scheme, I'm suprised you haven't painted it Portmeirion green to match the railway's name?

Mat P
New User
New User

Post by Mat P » Wed May 20, 2009 4:48 pm

Thanks!

Portmeirion green is a good idea, I do have a rake of green coaches but they are a rather darker, GWR-ish colour.

I also need (at some point) to build a scale model of Portmeirion to 1:19 scale, complete with a funicular connection to the hotel :twisted:

Mat

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Wed May 20, 2009 5:09 pm

How big is your garden? That will be awsome, I'd love to see some pics when it gets built, or even just of the railway.

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Wed May 20, 2009 5:14 pm

Nice coach.
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Wed May 20, 2009 5:52 pm

Very nice coach, that colour scheme is nice. Near the colour I am going to paint my Brandbright bogie coaches in (like PTLR's lol) - MHLR blue :lol: Goes well with the Jane.

Mat P
New User
New User

Post by Mat P » Thu May 21, 2009 10:58 am

Thanks again for the positive comments!

The coach is painted largely in Humbrol 109 (early RAF blue).

Alas I don't have a garden of any sort at the moment (I am renting a flat in Galway where I work - not for much longer - at the university). Indeed, there being no 16mm activity near me that I can discern, most of my stock is either in storage or (like the coach and Junior Patrick) kept in Bristol at a friend's house, where I go for a bit of live steam every so often, Mr. O'Leary's fares permitting.

But one day... :)

Regards,
Mat

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

coach roof

Post by Crackingjob » Thu May 21, 2009 1:46 pm

Use a place mat...the type made up of thin strips of wood then cover in tissue or old cloth ie. school trouser...it fits to shape stright away and is self supporting
Crackingjob