Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:54 pm

MAM prepped her plate work, Plod did the soldering, all good practice for Plod's coal fired loco build, but don't let on eh ;-)

Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:55 am

Extremely tidy work there.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:20 pm

MAM in the Red Room working on her Lady Ann plate work.

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:24 pm

Meanwhile the mob were working on the WHB hose and machining a lamp bracket and soldering it on to the tender. A red and white SLR lamp will be stowed in a tender mounted tool box.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:29 pm

Old Man Aaron wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:55 am Extremely tidy work there.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:29 am

MAM is learning a lot from a master engineer... Looking forward to seeing progress on her build Dazza.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:23 pm

FWLR wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:29 am MAM is learning a lot from a master engineer... Looking forward to seeing progress on her build Dazza.
I am not so sure about the "master engineer" , I simply read a lot, learn from others and try to apply good stuff to what we do.
I will keep all posted on progress. MAM was doing some clean up work last night and tonight we may be doing some plate work soldering.
MAM's loco runs very sweet, 30 -35mins at a realistic speed and very stable with its SloMo. Due to Roundhouse motion having a decent amount of slop and play when I set the valves I optimised it for forward running, We can get it to creep around the POR with out fuss. Very soothing. It works fine in reverse but I can detect a difference, but it is not significant

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:26 pm

The workshop foredog and offsider are pondering the tool box lid and fitting the little hinges with some trepidation. The intention is the tool box will store two small SLR models lamps for use on the tender, one red for light engine running and one white for tender first running. The white lamp may be used for a cab light for the gauge glass etc when one is night running. The box shape with curved lid is inspired by early Queensland Railway loco tender boxes, some which still exist to store tools at the Ipswich Heritage workshops where I volunteered on occasions in the past when one could. Also the picture and workshop drawing of Burma Railways # 9 gives inspiration.

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:55 am

That's a very good looking set of bending rolls there Daz and indispensable for jobs like this, are they a home brew construction or perhaps something made for the jewellery trade?
Phil

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:37 pm

pandsrowe wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:55 am That's a very good looking set of bending rolls there Daz and indispensable for jobs like this, are they a home brew construction or perhaps something made for the jewellery trade?
They are made for hobby use and are available here in Oz from suppliers of hobby tools. Mine came from a tool stall at a local exhibition in Melbourne. From memory it was the plastic kit modellers show, but I've seen them at model railway shows as well.

Chronos has them in the UK, catalogued as a 'miniature bending machine' and I assume other model engineering suppliers would also sell them.

I bought mine years ago for HO use and don't use it often in garden scale as it's small size limits it to small and thin parts. I've got a 3 in 1 sheet metal machine which is a combination of bending rolls/bending brake/guillotine that gets a lot more use for loco building, especially the guillotine.

Regards,
Graeme

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:21 pm

What Graeme said, and good for preforming Peco SM32 rail to ensure kink free joins and smooth curves, nice transitions into curves after some wee groves are machined at one end of the rollers

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:23 am

Makes a damn-sight better rail bender than my old temporary bodge-up. :roll: That was for de-twisting and straightening reclaimed rail from my first line..
IMG_3754.JPG
IMG_3754.JPG (248.22 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
Great work as always. There's a unique elegance to 19th century, well, anything; which is nice to see incorporated in the garden scales.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:12 pm

Weekend plans changed, but plenty to keep one occupied in the Red Room, so yesterday arvo working on the lamp locker for the loco, filing a 0.80mm slot into the hinge for the latch was tricky. I will be soldering these parts today.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:06 am

Superb workmanship there Dazza. :goodpost :coolphotos

Put a couple of straps along the top and around the box and you will have a Pirates Chest.... :roll:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:44 pm

I had to turn around and cancel my weekend shifts of driving and firing at the Mary Valley Rattler due to the 3 day shut down so the Red Room went I. A pair of SLR lamps can now be stored on the tender. I getting a wee bit happier with delicate soft soldering.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:19 pm

Amazing attention to detail, Dazza.
So impressed!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:59 pm

At the Llewellyn Loco Works Captain Plod is complaining to management that these coal rails are a proper pain in the back side. He thinks he has a method for soldering them up sorted along with two more sides to make, which are both different and then bring them together on the tender top. He is moaning that the degree of annoying frustration level is 9.8 out of 10.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:10 am

Thats very neat work Dazza. :bravo It must of been a real pain though. :anhammer

It will be well worth it when you have finished it I'am sure.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:02 pm

FWLR wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:10 am Thats very neat work Dazza. :bravo It must of been a real pain though. :anhammer

It will be well worth it when you have finished it I'am sure.
Thanks Rod, I am not peening the rivets over, simply soldering but it took a while and going up the wrong path and gong back and trying again. I think I have it sussed out, but I will be relieved when they are attached to the tender. Two more of these to do and cook up with solder. A ways to go yet :|

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:06 pm

Phew, the second one came along a lot faster eh Shaun. One more, then clean and solder, onwards.