Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:00 pm

Latch done yesterday after cleaning house upstairs. The fugly screw will be replaced with a 12BA rivet screw, when I find where I put them.

Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:15 pm

Shaun, get the lads to cut some corners off this plate and bring it down to the 21mm.

To the mill/drill for the hinge strap holes for this tender tank lid.

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:27 pm

Tender water filler lid drilled

Making the lid hinge straps

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:11 pm

Tender filling lid, straps yet to be shaped.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:44 pm

File file file, sand sand file sand , one down, one more to go and to the tender water lid they go with solder.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:42 pm

The lid went well, but the next piece, %#@!!*^$##)***! 4 hours of Sunday's went down the S bend.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:43 pm

"Lads, load the 3/32 brass parting tool."

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:05 pm

No Feathers, it is not a toilet seat for the loco.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:08 pm

A wee bit of sawing here and there and a file here and there and the tender tank is getting very close to braze and soldering up.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:24 pm

It has it's moments, however it is now ready to soft solder to the tender tank top.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:51 pm

Getting closer to soldering up the tender tank.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:36 pm

"This soft soldering caper is strange compared to silver brazing eh Shaun."

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:10 pm

Soft soldering = steep learning curve at the Llewellyn Loco Works.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:04 am

That looks absolutely brilliant Dazza. Very clean and neat I think. Well done.... :thumbright:

Garethh
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Garethh » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:38 pm

Some lovely work there! Soft soldering a bit different to brazing steel with brass isn’t it!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:52 pm

Garethh wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:38 pm Some lovely work there! Soft soldering a bit different to brazing steel with brass isn’t it!
I still silver braze some brass bits with silver. I silver braze my frame tubes with 56% Harris silver. Brass is only used now on the cutout piece in my chainstay bridges, but I do brass brass frames for years before switching to Silver 20 years ago. Just getting one's head around the fact that the material gets barely warm and the soft solder runs after all the years of brazing. It feels like one is cheating when using soft solder.

Garethh
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Garethh » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:37 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:52 pm
Garethh wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:38 pm Some lovely work there! Soft soldering a bit different to brazing steel with brass isn’t it!
I still silver braze some brass bits with silver. I silver braze my frame tubes with 56% Harris silver. Brass is only used now on the cutout piece in my chainstay bridges, but I do brass brass frames for years before switching to Silver 20 years ago. Just getting one's head around the fact that the material gets barely warm and the soft solder runs after all the years of brazing. It feels like one is cheating when using soft solder.
I’ve only ever used silver on frames for stainless bits and pieces, I can definitely see how it’d work better when doing a lot of lug work though. I found I was hopeless trying to use a soldering iron to soft solder, a small butane torch seemed much more natural!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:30 pm

Some more soldering last night at the Llewellyn Loco works. More fittings and coal rails and a wee bit of clean up to come. The loco will steam in the third decade of the 21st century, if I keep my fingers crossed.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:03 pm

The Llewellyn Locomotive works shop crew are doing their best to make progress on the Tender.
Stainless tender hand rail from a 2.00mm Swiss DT bicycle spoke. The Llewellyn Locomotive works shop crew are doing their best to make progress on the Tender.
Stainless tender hand rail from a 2.00mm Swiss DT bicycle spoke. Might finish breaking edges and soldering today before this evenings run at the Potters Orchid Railway.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:47 pm

At the Llewellyn Locomotive Works, Captain Plod did a wee bit of finishing work on the hand rails, soldering and fitted a water tap under the shoveling plate, Queensland Railways influences are showing.